Kuiperstraat 18, Bruges, West Flanders, 8000, Belgium

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Near the City Theatre

This nicely renovated hotel is directly across the street (a quiet, car-free street) from the Brugge City Theatre.

The hotel is named after the fifteenth century artist Hans Memling, who died in Brugge in 1494.

I booked this hotel through a website called olotels.com, which I found through travigo.com. I paid 74 Euros per night for a single room with breakfast, which I thought was a very good price for a quiet room in the center of Bruges in the middle of the high tourist season.

Back to my first tip, Quay of the Rosary

OR

Back to my Brugge intro page

Directions: Location on Google Maps

• I have to be honest...

We stayed here last year so it may be that things have changed since. We booked a double room with en suite. On arrival we were greeted rather coldly, a bit as if checking us in was going to be a nuisance (we arrived around 6:30 in th evening more or less), basically we were given our keys and told where to find our room.
    Our room stank of stale cigarettes - not just a small wiff but rather like if twenty people had been spending every waking hour for a week chuffing contraband fags, even the walls were giving off a reek. I went back down to the lobby to complain but found a group of people being checked in, waited a bit but went back up as it was taking ages. When I returned I couldn't find the receptionist. I resigned to deal with this later after going out for dinner and just left the window open to let some air in.
    We got back to the hotel a bit late and decided that we would make do for the night (only one night booked, thank god). Slept extremely badly but a shower helped in the morning (that and inhaling deep gulps of air by the window). The bathroom was clean, so nothing to complain about there.
    The breakfast was extremely good, very good food and abundant. It was the best moment we had in the hotel (apart from the leaving moment knowing we would never see it again).

Unique Quality: Good Breakfast. Thats all. Nothing else.

Directions: Walk for ages under the rain and eventually you will get there. The map on their internet site is actully not very useful as you have little idea of distances. Also not indicating what buses could be used to reach the hotel is irritating to say the least.

• Great Hotel in Bruges/Brugge

The Good:
    My room was very clean and the staff were very accommodating to say the least. The breakfast is typical Continential but good.

The elevator is a big plus after a day of sightseeing.

Good location.

Not too expensive.

The Bad:
    It can be hard to find. I walked right past it.
    The bus stop in front can be a touch noisey but it is also convenient.

Unique Quality: The Hans Melming Hotel was fantastic to say the least. The 20 minute walk from the train station was a little long but very big on scenery.

It is close to the Burg and all the nightlife but far enough away that it is still pretty quiet.

The pebble stone garden is a great place to enjoy a meal.

Directions: In the center just a few blocks north of the Bell Tower. Make sure you veer to the right at the fork when you come out of the Markt area.

More about Hans Memling Hotel

Bars & restaurant for a large group and world cup football on TV

by Irishgary

I am taking a large group (18 or so) for a weekend of golfing in Belgium, and we will be based in Bruges at the Hans Memling hotel. We are all professional guys in our 40's so this is not a raucous stag do but I would like to find an informal restaurant (that could take such a large booking) and/or a nice bar where we can eat and have a few beers.

Also we are in Bruges 2nd/3rd July and are an international group so I need to additionally find somewhere (or may be the same bar as above) that will be showing the Football World Cup quarter finals on TV.

Any suggestions anyone might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments