Hostellerie Le Fox

Poci, Clara and Brugge canalsPoci, Clara and Brugge canals

Please help me! :)

by elifcelet

Dear friends,

I have two nights to spend in Belgium, second one of which will definitely be spent in Brussels. Question is, where should my first night be spent : Brugge, Gent or Antwerp? (considering I'm arriving from Amsterdam by IC train)

Do you recommend doing daytrips to any of the cities i'm not staying at? I'm mostly interested in good sights, nice food, beauty and shopping.

Can you make any hotel recommendations for brussels and my second city - whichever that will be :-) ?

Last thing, what's the distance from brussels to the airport, and how can i get to the airport?

Thank you in advance for all the help..!!!
Elif

by balhannah

I would spend it in Brugge. I have just returned and it was a beautiful, historic city. Gent is lovely as well, I would like to go back as I didn't have enough time. Everybody on my tour liked Brugges the best.

by unaS

I'll admit I'm a bit partial. I stayed 3 days/4 nights in Brugge and found it immensely satisfying. Beauty, quiet (in the evenings after the tourist buses leave), history, walkable, whatever it is you want.

Can't recommend a hotel because I stayed in a self-service flat with a wonderful landlady that lives just downstairs.

If you are interested in that sort of thing look at:

(Ignore the photo on this site - it is a standard photo that they use for all of the B&B's they advertise) For full details and a *real* photo you can look at my Brugge page, Tips: Hotels and Accommodations.

Also a good review on Trip Advisor here:

by Dabs

I would stay in Brugge, it was actually quite lovely once the daytrippers left for the day. Antwerp is a little further away and my least favorite of Brugge, Gent and Antwerp. It sounds like you only have 2 days in Belgium, don't try to cram too much in, pick one city and go with it. You can easily spend a full day in any of the cities that you have listed.

by kathymof

I too would stay in Brugge. It is a lovely town. Be sure to stay in the old town. Just head out walking and enjoy. Be sure to visit the very peaceful Beguinage. Brugge is one of my favorite places. It really is not that far from Bruissels. Maybe you could spend both nights there and catch an early train to Brussels?

by Dabs

We stayed at the Hotel Fevery in Brugges, it is still getting very good reviews. It was a little outside the city center but not too bad of a walk.

Travel Tips for Brugge

"Lake of Love"

by rexvaughan

Just behind the Begijnhof is this lovely little lake with flowers and swans and probably several tour boats. It is locally called the "Lake of Love" since Minne is the Flemish word for love, but there doesn't seem to be much to back up this name. However, it is a peaceful place for a rest and some people watching. We even found some good Belgian waffles (imagine!) just beside it. There is also some legend having to do with Maximillian cursing Brugge to have to keep swans on their lakes eternally.

Post Offices (posterijen)

by Fen

The main Post office in Bruges is at Markt 5.
Opening times are Mon-Fri 9am-5pm plus Sat mornings. Smaller post offices close for lunch from noon until 2pm. Mail boxes are red (see pic) and often docorated with a white bugle. They are either free standing or attached to walls. Stanps can also be purchased from souvenir shops and bookstores.

The 'dentelière'

by Pierre_Rouss

The 'dentelière' (I am unsure how to say it in English)
You will find ladies of various age knitting with little needles and wire unloader intricate patterns to form elegant table cloth and curtains, etc...

A cavalcade of arts.

by Sinjoor

Like lots of big cities, Bruges also has its share of street performers, representing a wide variety of artistic disciplines, ranging from singers over musicians and jugglers to mimes and such. A truly enjoyable experience....

These shoes are made for walking

by Fen

What can I say, A guy is happy to go in the clothes he's wearing, a woman will take 14 suitcases worth of nice outfits.
So thats why you never get many women in space? (haha I'm only joking ) Bruges and Ghent are walking cities, so take comfortable reliable shoes (especially ones that don't run out on you! ) There's a joke there somewhere. Seriously take care on the cobblestones.

Clothing is generally smartly relaxed and informal, but expensive restaurants will expect male guests to wear ties. I'm sorry but I don't know or wish to know all my VT members medical history. So I'm sure you will know excactly what you need. But like me there's no cure for The travel bug.....! Camera's, films, check your batteries and get snapping.

Comments