22, Naaldenstraat, Bruges, West Flanders, 8000, Belgium

Booking.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• mightywease's Profile Photo

Hotel Aragon, Bruges

Very well situated on a quiet street near top the Markt the Hotel Aragon is a charming, comfortable 4 star hotel.
    We only stayed overnight on our first trip to Bruges but –with the exception of one aspect, which I will mention later – we had a very good experience in this hotel.
    The rooms were a good size and very nicely decorated in pastel colours and the bathroom was spacious and clean. The staff at the reception desk were extremely pleasant, telephoning to reserve a table at the restaurant we wanted to eat and advising us of the train times back to Brussels amongst other courtesies.
    The breakfast was very good with a mixtures of bread and pastries, cereals, meats and cheeses etc.. A good start to the day!

Unique Quality: My one complaint – and to be honest it is as much our fault as the hotels - is to do with depositing keys at the reception desk. We normally do this wherever we are as I my ability to lose things - even when Stephen is looking after them – is legendary! However, on the night we stayed at the Aragon we didn’t as there was no one at reception to take our key and we didn’t want to just leave it on the counter. We stayed out rather late enjoying the delights of Bruges and Belgian beer, arriving back at the Aragon at about 1.30am to find the sliding doors shut and firmly locked. We spent about 15 minutes knocking –there were lights in the reception area and to all intents and purposes the hotel looked about – and trying to get in until a rather disgruntled looking night-porter arrived and opened the door. We asked why the doors weren’t open and were told that when all the keys in the hotel were ‘out’ of reception the assumption was that all the guests were in their rooms for the night and, thus the hotel doors were locked. As we hadn’t left our key at reception the staff had assumed we were in our room not out and about in Bruges. If we had left our key the hotel doors would have been open. We tried to explain that there hadn’t been anyone at reception to leave the key with and we were pointed to a basket on the desk and told we should have put the key in there. Okay, fair enough, we hadn’t done that so it was our fault but neither were we aware of the hotel’s policy of locking the doors once all gayest had returned for the night – not a bad policy at all, I can’t criticise that, however, I just wish we had known about it and been told about the basket for keys on reception, It would have saved us quite a bit of worry and embarrassment.
    However, despite my moaning I would certainly recommend the Aragon for anyone looking for a quiet, romantic, welcoming hotel in the beautiful city of Bruges.

More about Hotel Aragon

De Kuppe

by mightywease about Bars / Cafes / Taverns.

We were enticed into De Kuppe for two rather prosaic and one rather fantastic reason! The first two being that it was very near to the hotel (Aragon) we were staying in and the window advertised over 100 beers. The latter reason being that as they walked past they were playing “Ain’t Nothing Gonna Break My Stride” by Matthew Wilder, which demanded to be danced to! Oh and with Leffe and Hoegaarden on tap add another two motives!
The bar itself is a long rectangular room with the bar down one side and tables and chairs on the other. Décor is – well to be honest it’s just bar-like! A plain-ish wall, wooden furniture - like a lot of good places to drink it’s the beer that’s the thing and the clientele that make the atmosphere (a mixture of different ages).
The 100 or so beers are listed on a menu card – just make your pick and the barman will take your order. At 6.00pm in the evening (we returned to the bar on our second trip to Bruges) the bar was sparsely populated (there are also tables and chairs outside for those balmy summer evenings) at 10.30pm with the music playing it was much busier.
Located near the Markt this is one of the – many – fine bars you can find in Bruges. Cheers!

Open: from about 5.00pm

Really lovely hotel

We stayed at this hotel in August and September 2005. The hotel was very warm amd friendly. The hotel rooms were spacious and very clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. Each afternoon you are offered free coffee or tea in the reception area which was a nice place to sit and relax, plenty of sofas and comfortable seats. Would stay there again

Decent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member BayswaterBabe

Nice hotel, staff were friendly although did accidentally give us the keys to someone else's room on arrival and then pretended that it was because someone else was staying there who had the same surname as me (I am yet to meet anyone with the same surname as me!).

Breakfast good, room big and had powerful shower.

Can't fault the location since it is so central.

Small and friendly central hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SaraLou82

I stayed at this hotel during February 2005 - my partner had booked a surprise trip for Valentines Day. We stayed for 3 nights and I found it to be excellent! The bedroom was quite small, but very airy due to the high ceiling and large window. The decor was good, and the air conditioning was also helpful. It is one of the few hotels I have stayed in where they have thought to include a desk with a mirror and a plug all in the same location - essential for a woman when she is trying to get ready! The bathroom was also very smart and exceptionally clean. There was a reasonably priced mini bar containing soft drinks and a few good wines and beers (We sampled them all).

The service was great during breakfast (this is the only meal you can have at the hotel) and I would reccommend getting up for it. There was an excellent selection of continental food to get your day off to a good start.

Reception staff were also very friendly and helpful. They doubled up as bar staff, as there is no proper bar here (only negative comment I have about this hotel), so if you fancy a drink, you sit in the reception lounge with it. Complimentary tea and coffee and cake was provided every afternoon there too - great after walking the streets for many hours!

All in all a superb central hotel located on a quiet side street. Would definitely consider going there again!

Perfect for a short break

by TripAdvisor Member JoGr

As the other reviews say, this is a really good place to stay when visiting Bruges. It's central yet quiet. Our room was large with a tiny balcony (overlooking a small car park but you can't have everything at this price) and comfy chairs, table etc. The bathroom was large and very new, clean and lovely. Staff were helpful and friendly. The only drawback is that our room was modern, so there was no atmosphere as such,apart from the friendly welcome. All fine, and excellent at the price, but if I had a bit more cash I'd probably try to find somethign a bit older and more authemtically Flemish. We were hardly in our room though, with cafes and bars being so nearby, so it didn't matter.

One small thing: we usually use the stairs; we weren't so pleased to find wooden highchairs stored in the stairwell, I wonder if this might be considred a fire hazard?

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member cybermoo

Good location with spacious rooms but very poor facilities. Before we can use the safe box located in the room, we had to pick up the lock from the front desk. The front desk could have highlighted to us upon check in (and the lift takes forever!). There is no room service, no bathroom slipper nor bathrobe available in this hotel. Inconsistent service at the front desk, which also doubles up as concierge desk. Breakfast selection is also very limited in a cramped setting.

Everything we wanted

by TripAdvisor Member salsakarl

We wanted a hotel which was clean, comfortable & provided a good breakfast. All these wishes were satisfied - the hotel was modern, very clean & the staff were very friendly, having a good knowledge of the area & nothing was too much trouble. We checked out mid afternoon & there was a room in which we could leave our luggage until later - ideal.
The hotel is well located for Markt - about a 3 miunte walk.
Do not be misled by the brevity of this review, if we ever return to Bruges, we will stay here.

Comments