Hotel Breugelhof

Oostmeers 128, Bruges, 8000, Belgium

More about Brugge

A Picture With No Cars!!A Picture With No Cars!!

Houses on the GreenHouses on the Green

Quasimundo Bike Tours,Brugge,West Flanders,BelgiumQuasimundo Bike Tours,Brugge,West Flanders,Belgium

Look after signs like this.Look after signs like this.

Brugge windmills

by kirknigro

I'm going to be in Belgium in March, and specifically I'll be in Brugge from March 15-17. I've been doing a lot of research, looking at maps, tourist information on the internet etc. The only thing I haven't been able to get any detail on is windmills. I've seen a few pictures, but I can't seem to find a specific location for any of them. I'll be staying very close to Markt and will be on traveling by walking.

Any helpful information would be appreciated.

by Dabs

You can see them on this map, if you look to the right side in a section that is green, there are four X, those are the windmills. I think they have one of them you can go inside but I think they don't open until April or at least that what my notes say

by kirknigro

Thanks so much. I've been looking over that map for several days but never noticed the windmills where you pointed them out to me!! I'll definitely be taking a walk there. It appears that several things I want to see in Belgium and Germany are not open for tours until April, but that's just the way things work out sometimes. At least I'll be there ahead of the big tourist crowds, and of course prices will be lower too.

Thanks again for your help.

by unaS

From my Brugge page:
Tuesday was cloudy and drizzling. Took the number 6 bus from Striven Square to the Kruispoort Gate and the windmills; lovely ride. Nice little walk up the graded hill, around the wind mills and back again. Walked back to the city centre from Dampoort Gate along Potterierei and Genthof streets. I wanted to get to the Du Phare restaurant there, which was highly recommended but I got lost and never found it :(

Saw a nice windmill up close in Damme too.

by kirknigro

The page you sent me includes some good, detailed information. Thanks much.

Kirk

by leics

Definitely go to Damme: it's an easy bus ride from Brugge (or a flat walk along the canal, or bike ride) and has a lovely windmill.

My Damme page has a photo (which I, amazingly, took all by myself!):

by Dabs

Just so you know, Damme is 4-5 miles away from Brugges, some people might find that a rather long walk or bike ride. Especially in March if the weather isn't cooperating. The four windmills in Brugges are very nice, I have some photos on my Brugges page.

In response to your email, I don't see a map with an explanation for the numbers on the map but you should be able to get one at the tourism office or click on the link below there's a link to order one

by iandsmith

If you check my pages you'll see the windmill on the road to Damme that makes for an excellent picture and also one of the ones on the outskirts.
If you choose a bike (the hire is very cheap) it's a great way to get to Damme.
Whatever you decide, have a nice time, I was also there in March.

Travel Tips for Brugge

Spooky house

by Nathalie_B

Wandering around the city I came across this old, abandoned house. From the outside it looked like it used to be a warehouse or factory. Curious me tried to look inside by opening one of the windows. What I saw inside looked like stables I could visualize horses inside the building, but what I could really see were lots of spider webs and dust. As I am always terrified of insects I rushed back to the street hoping that nothing is gonna jump on me out of this spooky house. I knew the Brugge authorities make all the efforts to keep the city’s old look, what I didn’t know that it can be THAT old ;-)

scroll through Brugge

by MATIM

From the square you enter this street and enter the next square where you can find the belfort tower.
At this square you find the city tour bus that take you to the most beautiful spots in Brugge.
Because there was a lot of rain we decide to take the city tour bus but be careful it cost you a lot of money 11,50. The tour takes about 45 minutes.
You can also take a tour in one of the coaches you also can find on the square, I believe this tour cost you 25,00 euro.
Sorry don't know how long this tour takes.

the bear of Bruges

by tompt

Legend tells us that a bear was the oldest citizen of Bruges. It started when in 862; Baldwin I, Count of Flanders kidnapped Judith, the daughter of the French king Charles the Bold.
Baldwin married Judith, but was not accepted by her father as his new son-in-law. To punish Baldwin, the king sent him off to one of his northern territories, the area now known as Flanders.

When Baldwin and his new bride arrived in the forests, the area where now Bruges is, he did not see one living soul. Suddenly, a bear came out of the woods. Baldwin killed the animal with his spear. According to the legend, the bear crept out of his skin and took his place in the town weapon of Bruges.

The bear later received a statue in the Porters Lodge.

Address:
Academiestraat

Lace Making

by nhcram

We were lucky enough to see a lady at work in the street making lace.
There are lace shops everywhere in Brugge each selling more or less the same kind of things. The lace can be bought in different sizes and price. Some can be tacky in style but some are very pretty and they do make lovely presents.

Comfortable shoes are a must

by clareabee

cross body handbag/purse to keep your hands free for your shopping! you need to make sure you have comfortable shoes - the streets are cobbled and you do a lot of walking so sturdy flat shoes are at home - save your heels for the hotel bar! make sure you have plenty of memory for your camera!

Comments