Hotel De Markies

bridgebridge

Beguinage,Brugge,West Flanders,Belgium.Beguinage,Brugge,West Flanders,Belgium.

Holy Blood basilica interiorHoly Blood basilica interior

SmedenpoortSmedenpoort

Breugge:every kind of help is accepted!

Hi everybody!

I was thinking about travelling with soem friends of us to Brssels in Brugge. But my 3 friends (a coupl and his child) cannot go any more... So, everything changed in some days very close to the departing day. We are just 2 of us abroad...still not being sure about going or not...

If we really decide to go we are thinking about staying in Brugge (as we don't have too much money to travel around...by our own... that´s a pity).

Does anyone has the experience of staying in an hostel in Brugge (central if possible)

Are there things to do for 4 days? Are there things to do for free?

Is Gent, probably cheaper than Brugge?

Thank you very much in advance...

(If any of you need,I can reply the same questions concerning Portugal ;)

Katy

by leics

You'll find quite enough to occupy yourselves for 4 days in Brugge, as long as you are interested in history/art etc...it's a lovely place. P{lenty of free things (parks, walks, churches etc).

You could go on the bus to Damme and explore that pretty village too: doesn't cost very much.

And/or go on the train to Gent (also not expensive).

I doubt there will be much difference in price between hostels in the two places, but you might find Gent more to your liking. It has a large student population and, consequently, a lot going on.

It really depends entirely on your interests as to which you choose. Have a look at the VT Brugge and Gent pages (use the searchbox top right of this page) to explore info and tips posted by VT locals and visitors.

Re: Brugge:every kind of help is accepted!

Thank you very much!

I've been in Brugge once in a student residence... (long time ago...)

I love Brugge.

This time we were planning on going to Dame and Gent(the 5 of us)...but we were supposed to travel in a friend's car... Now, I have no idea how much it is to travel from one place to other... I know that Charleroi-Brugge is a little bit expensive...

by leics

will give you train times/ fares in English.

I find the fares to be very reasonable....but I'm from the UK, where train travel is expensive!

by leics

Can't remember the exact fare from Brugge to Damme on the bus, but think it was about 3 euros one-way.

You could walk there from Brugge quite easily: it's a nice flat walk along the canal (about 7km, I think). Or hire bikes and explore the area even more?

only 7kms?

It's not thar far and the bike idea sound to me very interesting... (as well as the walking one... I thought it could be much further...)

By the way... do you have any idea about how much it can be a normal meal there?

thank you..

by leics

Not sure I eat 'normal' meals.....but I usually paid around 12/15 euro (I think) for a beer and a main course of some sort in the evening (nothing special).
There are lots of bars/restuarants around T'Zand which are worth exploring, as well as 'frites' shops etc for take-aways.

Travel Tips for Brugge

Ok so its just a 13th-century Bell-tower

by Fen

Above all, I would say that its well worth going up the Belfort. The views where Fantastic and you feel quite good with yourself after going up all those steps. One of my fondest memories of Brugge was the relaxed atmosphere. It was very nice to walk around and take everything in my stride.

finding the best of both worlds

by richiecdisc

Our day began with a bit of a whirlwind tour of the city’s sights before stopping in at the charming café De Gare for some beer and snacks. It was great fun with the five of us quaffing some beers and joking. Still, this was the romantic café I had sat alone previously wondering what it would be like to stare into a beautiful girl’s eyes. We trekked around the town more in the afternoon and found ourselves at yet another atmospheric pub. After one beer from their meager list I announced that Doreen and I would head to my favorite of Belgian cafes and meet the rest of the crew at a pre-arranged place for dinner.

Doreen and I arrive at 't Brugs Beertje and found ourselves a table in the crowded café. The beer list was as amazing as ever and we had a wonderful cheese platter as well. We finally got to enjoy each other’s company and really didn’t want to leave for dinner. But we relented and made our way to the restaurant already chosen. Our meal of mussels were the worst I’d ever had in Belgium, quite gritty with sand and the beer list was sub par so I suggested the others meet us back at 't Brugs Beertje when they were ready.

Doreen and I headed back to our little oasis. We enjoyed another beer or so alone before the others arrived. It turned out to be quite a fun night trying a lot of different beers and even the house pate platter. In the end, two of our comrades would stay in Bruges and we’d not see them again until we made our way to Germany a few days later. Our Belgian host would drive us back to Ghent and graciously pick us up the next morning for an excursion to the much coveted beery monastic experience of Westvletteren. We fell asleep quite happy with our day’s outing. It might not have been what we had envisioned but we did have our romantic moments but had also had fun with friends we only get to see so often due to the great distances we live apart.

the church

by globetrott

The Church of Our Lady (Onze-Lieve-Vrouw-Kerke) was built close to the Gruuthuse-palace
So the owners of the palace could take part in the mass-ceremony without having to leave their palace
The Palace is a museum today and also the church was used for an art-exhibition, while I was there.

LACE MAKING

by LoriPori

There are many ways to make lace. Needlepoint Lace is made with a needle and thread. It is very closely related to embroidery but the stitches are made without cloth underneath them. They are simply woven and twisted on each other and on loops of thread held by the lace-maker using fine buttonhole stitches.
There is also Irish Lace which is made with a fine crochet hook. Another type of costly lace is Valenciennes and Chantilly often used for wedding veils.
Belgian Lace is made with bobbins. The lacemaker winds the thread on bobbins and then twists them around pins stuck in the pattern like little pegs.

Rose visit Oct2002:be sportive and hire a bicycle!

by irisbe

When Rose came to visit, one of her dreams was to cycle. Not know how to cycle, we decided we would hire a tandem at 't Koffieboontje.
Well it was my first experience on this thing and it was scary!!! but so much fun! there are special organized tours as well.
Picture is taken on Rose's camera by an tourist we caught and would only wanted to release after he had taken some action pics of us.

Comments