Martin's Orangerie Brugge

Hotel de Orangerie
Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Costs 53% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• bmw10111's Profile Photo

Moderate place, good location in Brugge

Hotel de Orangerie

My fathers family comes from Brugge. (One of the three european cities based around canals) I had not been there in nearly 10 years. I decided to head back through Belgium in September 2004 with a buddy of mine.

First of all, Brugge is in my opinion one of the most beautiful cities in the world. While Brugge does not have the 100% canal life of Venice, it is still very much based around the canals. The cites architecture is awe inspiring. Also the city is very clean, well run, and organized. I found the Belgians to be friendly and very efficient.

Now, I have discovered that Brugge is not the city to visit with a your buddy. It is a truly romantic city, made for lovers, not buddies.

We wanted to stay at the Die Swaene hotel, but it was fully booked. We instead stayed at the Hotel de Orangerie. The hotel is small and quaint. I think there are about 20 rooms on two floors. It is rated four stars, but I am of the opinion that this is a little ambitions for this property. The building and the public areas are very nice, cozy and homelike. I think the building is from the 1500s. The rooms on the other hand seemed a bit awkward. Perhaps this is due to the age of the building and the work arounds that had to be done to change an old nunnery into a hotel. The bathrooms were nice, modern and reliable, but on the small side. The location is great, just steps away from the town center. There is little reason to drive in Brugge.

Unique Quality: The hotel has one neat little feature. They have a bar that is open 24/7 What they do is that the bar (read living room) is located just 30 feet from the front desk which is manned full time. All you do is relax in the comfort of "the bar" and ring a bell for the desk clerk to come and make you a cocktail.

I felt like this hotel was a bit understaffed. English was perfectly spoken so communication was no issue. My suite had a small TV, but there were few if any English stations. The rooms include a light breakfast in the charge. There was no internet of any kind available, but there is an abundance of Cyber Cafes in the city.

We paid about $120 for a room. The hotel had no issue when we called late the night of our expected arrival, and pushed the date back a day. The hotel was a very good deal. I am not saying is was great, but it was also not expensive.

Two food ideas for Brugge. First of all there is a little hot dog stand in the corner of the town square. I had been there 15 years ago, and again 10 years ago, so I wondered if it would still be there. It is! In fact I was told it has been there for over 100 years. I love a good bratwurst, and these are some of the best I have ever had. I devoured 2 in a matter of minutes, and snook back latter that night for a third.

The second place is a fondue place called Sans Soucis. It is located right off the town square. The food was great, the service fast and efficient. We had the beef fondue. It came with large marbled chucks of beef, and about eight distinct tasty sauces.

I enjoyed my stay here, but would most likely look for another place to stay next time. I would also bring my girlfriend, not my buddy. : )

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Stay in a 15th Century Convent

Had I own the World Bank, I would stay in this small luxury hotel that was once a 15th century convent.

I was just walking to the Church of our Lady when I noticed a lovely building that was completely covered with orange-coloured ivy leaves. But what captured my eye was the lovely terrace and a little landing bay. How could I not take a picture?

Still struck by its loveliness, I nosed around and found out it was appropriately called "Hotel de Orangerie" and it was a 15th century convent that now housed an elegant 4* Hotel. Stay here if you want to pamper yourself, it's quite central and only a stone's throw from our Lady's church.

More about Martin's Orangerie Brugge

Service at its Best

by TripAdvisor Member ItalianNewcomer

A small privately owned hotel run by a young couple who aquired it 18 months ago, they were antique dealers hence the large number of antiques in the Hotel. When we were there the hotel was being redecorated but apart from noticing a painter in a room across the hall we had no idea.
The room although compact (it is a very old building)was clean and comfortable with all the facilities we wanted including a free safe!
Service at the hotel was above expectations with nothing being too much trouble including storing our luggage on the last day due to a late departure and then calling taxis, checking train times etc etc.
Our trip was from a newspaper special discount offer, so this was extremely good value for money. I have no idea what the hotels share was of this money but it must be significantly below their published rate. Low price however did not change the standard and level of service.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone, whatever the price it is one of the best and most comfortable small hotels we have ever stayed in anywhere in the world!!!

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member GillHarpenden

Have just returned from staying at the Hotel De Orangerie to celebrate my birthday. What a truly fantastic hotel. The staff could not have been more helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The room we had was not overlooking the canal but was still very nice with a lovely big comfortable bed - even had a teddy bear sharing our bed! The breakfast was very nice and very well presented with lots of fresh fruit, cereals, cold meats, cheeses and also eggs cooked how you want them. There was also champagne which was nice mixed with the fresh orange juice.

We had the afternoon tea on the day of my birthday which consisted of sandwiches, freshly cooked scones, jame and cream and also a plate of cakes and as much tea as you like. Very enjoyable and served beautifully.

When we returned to our room in the evening the maid had been in, turned on the bedside lights and left two chocolates and the weather forecast for the following day.

Bruges is a lovely city to visit - the streets are cobbled so quite tiring. Lots of lovely restaurants and of course lots of chocolate shops.

Would also mention that the taxi drivers were the best we have ever come across and so helpful and also mentioned that Eurostar will be going direct to Bruges soon rather than having to change at Brussels which will shorten the journey considerably.

Also have to say that the train from Brussels to Bruges was the best train I have been on (other than Eurostar). No graffiti and spotlessly clean.

not exceptionnal

by TripAdvisor Member razibus

the hotel is very well located. Rooms are nice and well furnished.
Breakfast is wonderful (choice, quality,...).
The only negative point is the cleanliness or the room. It is very dusty. During all our stay (four nights) the maid has not removed dust from the telephone and the bedhead. For the price of this hotel, it is not acceptable.

Different class staff

You can not fail to be impressed by everything about this superb hotel.Food, location, rooms ,and last but not least the superb staff.Special mention to sophia thanks for making us so welcome. we will be back

ROB AND NANCY NEIL AND HAZEL

BONNYRIGG SCOTLAND

Lovely hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member mountainflower

This is a lovely hotel in a superb location within easy walking distance of all the places you could wish to visit whilst in Bruges. Even if you do not get a canal view room you get the bells in the square behind the hotel chiming every 15 minutes. Take a moment to listen to what they are playing - it took us a while to realise it wasn't just bells! You can also hear the horse and carts on the cobbles beside the canal but there is very little traffic noise (at this time of year anyway). Our room and linen etc were spotlessly clean and the staff very attentive. The bedroom walls were a bit thin though(we thought the man in the next room was showering in our wardrobe!) Excellent breakfast spread - enough to keep you going most of the day, and no rush. Can thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Fantastic Hotel

This is a wonderful hotel. Set by a canal in this beautiful town, the hotel is a beautiful and unusual building. Really friendly staff and wonderful amenities make this a great place to stay, so good we went back and will do so again. A really memorable and romantic break.

Pure luxury!

My husband treated me to a stay at this wonderful hotel for my birthday. What a romantic treat!
We were really impressed by the friendly, cosy atmosphere.The owners and staff were so professional and were keen to ensure that we had the best possible visit with them. We were lucky enough to be upgraded and were delighted to hear that our room was one overlooking the canal. It was decorated and furnished in fresh linen white and had huge windows that opened out onto beautiful views of Brugge. The bed was turned down each night and chocolates placed on the bed, along with our bath robes and teddy bear!
The lounge with its roaring fire, was full of tasteful antique furnishing. The breakfast[ although pricey] was amazing- breads, crossaints, fruit, ham, juices, champagne, yoghurts etc.
Brugge is a quaint place to wander around, so much to see and do[ make sure you have your walking shoes!]
Go and visit, we guarantee you will fall in love with the place.

At last, what an hotel should be..........

by TripAdvisor Member Freedompass_Hunters

Hotel de Orangerie is a sheer delight. A very warm welcome on arrival with a guided tour of the hotel and its facilities. A room full of charm and atmosphere. Efficient double glazing to maintain a special silence whilst watching the passing horse and carriages, the boats on the canal and the busy life of the town. One minor disappointment - only a hand held shower with just adequate flow. Shower quickly forgotten when eating the best hotel breakfast, with champagne, that we have ever been offered. Afternoon tea available but no evening meal which encourages exploration of excellent local restaurants.,

Comments