Martin's Orangerie Brugge

Poor Value

Costs More than similar hotels

See Same Stars, Better Value Hotels
bmw10111's Profile Photo

Moderate place, good location in Brugge

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 18, 2004

Hotel de Orangerie

My fathers family comes from Brugge. (One of the three european cities based around canals) I had not been there in nearly 10 years. I decided to head back through Belgium in September 2004 with a buddy of mine.

First of all, Brugge is in my opinion one of the most beautiful cities in the world. While Brugge does not have the 100% canal life of Venice, it is still very much based around the canals. The cites architecture is awe inspiring. Also the city is very clean, well run, and organized. I found the Belgians to be friendly and very efficient.

Now, I have discovered that Brugge is not the city to visit with a your buddy. It is a truly romantic city, made for lovers, not buddies.

We wanted to stay at the Die Swaene hotel, but it was fully booked. We instead stayed at the Hotel de Orangerie. The hotel is small and quaint. I think there are about 20 rooms on two floors. It is rated four stars, but I am of the opinion that this is a little ambitions for this property. The building and the public areas are very nice, cozy and homelike. I think the building is from the 1500s. The rooms on the other hand seemed a bit awkward. Perhaps this is due to the age of the building and the work arounds that had to be done to change an old nunnery into a hotel. The bathrooms were nice, modern and reliable, but on the small side. The location is great, just steps away from the town center. There is little reason to drive in Brugge.

Unique Quality: The hotel has one neat little feature. They have a bar that is open 24/7 What they do is that the bar (read living room) is located just 30 feet from the front desk which is manned full time. All you do is relax in the comfort of "the bar" and ring a bell for the desk clerk to come and make you a cocktail.

I felt like this hotel was a bit understaffed. English was perfectly spoken so communication was no issue. My suite had a small TV, but there were few if any English stations. The rooms include a light breakfast in the charge. There was no internet of any kind available, but there is an abundance of Cyber Cafes in the city.

We paid about $120 for a room. The hotel had no issue when we called late the night of our expected arrival, and pushed the date back a day. The hotel was a very good deal. I am not saying is was great, but it was also not expensive.

Two food ideas for Brugge. First of all there is a little hot dog stand in the corner of the town square. I had been there 15 years ago, and again 10 years ago, so I wondered if it would still be there. It is! In fact I was told it has been there for over 100 years. I love a good bratwurst, and these are some of the best I have ever had. I devoured 2 in a matter of minutes, and snook back latter that night for a third.

The second place is a fondue place called Sans Soucis. It is located right off the town square. The food was great, the service fast and efficient. We had the beef fondue. It came with large marbled chucks of beef, and about eight distinct tasty sauces.

I enjoyed my stay here, but would most likely look for another place to stay next time. I would also bring my girlfriend, not my buddy. : )

bpacker's Profile Photo

Stay in a 15th Century Convent

by written on September 20, 2004

Had I own the World Bank, I would stay in this small luxury hotel that was once a 15th century convent.

I was just walking to the Church of our Lady when I noticed a lovely building that was completely covered with orange-coloured ivy leaves. But what captured my eye was the lovely terrace and a little landing bay. How could I not take a picture?

Still struck by its loveliness, I nosed around and found out it was appropriately called "Hotel de Orangerie" and it was a 15th century convent that now housed an elegant 4* Hotel. Stay here if you want to pamper yourself, it's quite central and only a stone's throw from our Lady's church.

Nearby Martin's Orangerie Brugge

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Brugge Travel Forum

Need advice about Brugge, Belgium? Visit the Travel Forum for Brugge and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Brugge hotel reviews

Stadhuis - Town Hall
Michelangelo's Madonna with Child
Bicycle Rentals
Transportation
Parking the car and walking
Tom's diner
Grote Markt restaurants
Quiet Streets and Areas.
Canals/ Boats / Bridges.
t Brugs Beertje
Restaurants
Walking is the way to see the City.
Statues / Murals / Memorials
Den Dyver
Restaurants
Staminee de Garre (Beer Bar)
The Hobbit
Taverne Curiosa
Restaurants
Tours / Town Gates (Poorten)
Lace making
Off The Beaten Path
Houses /Churches /others at night.
Nightlife
Irish or other Pubs & Bars.
Nightlife
Canal Boat Tours/ other Tours.
Statues and Friezes
Favorites
Museums / Architecture / Art / Paintings.
Breweries / Cafes.
Off The Beaten Path
Walk or relax around the City
Favorites
A safe City you could fall in love with
Warnings and Dangers
All of Brugge is a tourist...
Tourist Traps
Canals/Bridges .
Favorites
Negative comments about Lace making.
Tourist Traps
Het Minnewater /Love lake .
Favorites
Horse Carriage / Canal Tours / Cultural Celebrations.
Procession of the Holy Blood