Eddy Vandekerckhove

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Kortrijk

in the Baggaertshofin the Baggaertshof

Look an unmade bedLook an unmade bed

Better don't park here!Better don't park here!

Billboard interiorBillboard interior

looking for information about kortrijk and my grandmother

by mperkins

Hello. I am writing you from America. I am working on a family history scrapbook and have come acrossed some papers that say my Great grandmother and her parents and sisters lived at "Vijfwegenstraat" "fiveway street 107 from June 1901 till November 1906 when they moved to "Vijfwegenstraat 131. This is where my Great grandmother, Madeleine Van Loocke, who I am named after, was born.

My great grandmother,
born Magdalena Vanloocke on April 9, 1906 to Camiel ALberik Vanloocke and Maria
Mayfroot. I understand she was born at Wijk, BI, Brugsche Kortrijk. Do you know
if this is a hospital, a home, a street address. I have no idea what this means.
She also attended a catolic school in Roeselare West Flanderen which was a few
blocks from her home. Do you know the name of this school or even have a picture
of it?

I hate to take you time but would really love to have some information.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, USA
4perks@adelphia.net

by tompt

I am sorry can't help you much. But if she attended a school in Roeselare, only a few blocks from her home she had to live in Roeselare. Since Roeselare and Kortrijk are about 25 kilometer (16 miles) apart.

by Ceulemans_F

Hello,

I am a sales representative for a Belgian company.
For my job, i am visiting cliënts all over Flanders, the north of Belgium. Eich week i have to visit some business partners in Kortrijk or Roeselare. I will take some time for you when i am over there, to get an answer on your questions. Greetings Frank

by mperkins

OH THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH. i WOULD BE FOREVER GREATFUL FOR ANY INFORMATION ABOUT HTE AREA ETC THAT YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO OFFER ME.......

YOUR KINDNESS AND QUICK RESPONCE ARE MUCH APRRECTIATED.....

MAY GOD BLESS YOU......

M.PERKINS

by mperkins

Thank you for your very prompt reply. Would you happen to know the name of the school or any information about the area?

I am forever greatful for any information you may be able to give me.

Thank you again and may God bless you.

by Ceulemans_F

Hello,
Here are already some answers
1) Wijk, BI, Brugsche Kortrijk. = For alfabetical reasons this address is written like that in the city administration , but in fact you have read this address like : Brugsche Wijk B1, Kortrijk . To make it complete : "Brugsche" is old dutch language. Now you write "Brugse" Wijk.

" Wijk" means neighbourhood or district. "Brugsche" means "from Brugge" (city in Belgium ).

So in english = Brugges district B1, Kortrijk.
I looked it up on a map but as far as i can see now , there is no Brugges district anymore in Kortrijk.

Question : They lived at the "vijfwegenstraat" , is that in Kortrijk or Roeselare. Becaus there is a "Vijfwegen" at Kortrijk and a "Vijfwegenstraat" at Roeselare.

( I see on a map that at Roeselare, there is indeed a catolic school some blocks away from the vijfwegenstraat. )

More info follows, Frank

by mperkins

Oh you are too wonderful for all the assistance and trouble you have gone to for me. Can you tell me the name of the school?

I just found this website today and have already received so much feed back help from people. Thank you all for your kindness and help while I search my roots.

Thanks

Travel Tips for Kortrijk

visit the...

by B_Caro

visit the Onze-Lieve-vrouwekerk (Our Lady's Church) in Kortrijk.
You certainly have to take a look at 'The raising of the Cross', painted by Antoon Van Dyck and the Albaster statue of St. Catherine (in the Grafkapel) During our visit at the church, we met the priest. He was so kind to tell us all about the history of the church;
Gave us some explanation about the beautiful mosaic windows, the Golden Spurs hanging at the top of the ceiling, the portraits of the Flemish counts in the Grafkapel. It was really interesting.
Thanks very much.

(for more snaps see the travelogue about Kortrijk)

YPRES : Nocturnes 2000 -...

by B_Caro

YPRES : Nocturnes 2000 - Theaterwandeling in de Vestingstad Ieper.
Our guide during this 'theatre walk' represented the town YPRES, which is old, very old (+/- 10 centuries) and marked by a great deal of suffering through the centuries.

the Beguinage

by theH

a second picture that gives a good impression of the peaceful Beguinage, which was once (in the Middle Ages) the home of about 200 Beguines (not married-woman). Now it's like a small medieval town inside the city.

Flemish Beguinages.

by breughel

The Begijnhof - Béguinage of Kortrijk is one of the 26 Flemish Béguinages on the UNESCO List of World Heritage. Most Flemish towns have one, sometimes two, Begijnhoven-Béguinages.
They are architectural ensembles in specific Flemish style composed of houses, churches, ancillary buildings and green spaces in which lived Begijnen-Béguines.
They were women who dedicated their lives to God without retiring from the world. They were founded in the 13th century in the present Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Northern France. Except two in Holland, the preserved beguinages are all located in the Flemish part of Belgium. There are no beguines anymore(*) and the beguinages have been transformed in museums, cultural centres, artist ateliers, residences for old people or flats for students like in Leuven. The one of Brugge is now a convent.
With 42 houses the Begijnhof of Kortrijk is a medium sized one. The large ones have about 100 houses. The largest in Lier has 162 houses in 11 streets!

(*) Actually there is one beguine, born in 1920, from Kortrijk, still alive but she lives no more in the Begijnhof but in a hospital in Kortrijk.

Lovely Flemish town

by chrishc

"Site of VT "Wild West" meeting 2009"

This is a surprisingly lovely Flemish town with a lot of character full places. We were fortunate to have been in the company of Vters Filipdebont, Wandeljp and Patje who organised a superb and very interesting meeting.

I work in the transport industry and mentioned Kortrijk to a colleague and he thought that the town was just a great big industrial estate! How wrong he is. Typical Flemish market square and architecure, significant history and some great little jewels hidden from the casual observer.

Certainly a town worth visiting.

Comments