Hotel Serge

Travelocity Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Is Anybody There??

On the www.booking.com website this hotel describes itself as "simple" and that's pretty accurate. I arrived in the evening, outside of their normal reception hours, which wasn't a problem as I'd emailed them to say so (noting that I didn't get a reply).

I checked in, paid in advance, and got the WiFi code before heading for my room - on the fourth floor, but there is a perfectly good lift. The room was kinda spartan, clean enough, with slightly misfitting windows, a door leading to a little balcony which was nailed shut and a radiator which refused to yield any heat despite it being a dank October evening.

When I tried to access the WiFi that just didn't happen - I had a connection to the router but that was that. When I popped downstairs there was no-one around to complain to - the person who'd checked me in must have departed after doing so.

Going back upstairs to freshen up there was no soap, nor toiletries of any kind, in the bathroom which is something I've never encountered before - even the cheapest places provide at least soap. But at least there was towels and hot water and so I ended up using my shaving gel to wash with - such is life.

The bed was comfortable enough, if a little shabby, breakfast was OK although there didn't seem to be anyone else around and so I didn't get a chance to complain then either. In fact I didn't see anyone else in the hotel until breakfast the following day, when I was due to leave, and she only briefly appeared, without any greeting or anything, to check that the very basic buffet was topped up.

This wasn't the cheapest option I'd found and so the faults were just that - faults - and I personally found the place totally lacking in atmosphere and not value for money at all.

Unique Quality: The only saving graces were the central location and the proximity to the Marie-Joseplein coast tram stop.

Directions: Centrally located on a quiet side street just off the Marie-Joseplein transport intersection.

Comments