5 rue du Peuplier, Brussels, 1000, Belgium

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Rated 12% higher but also costs 22% more than other 3 star hotels

• Jmon's Profile Photo

An excellent place to stay

I really enjoyed this hotel. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful -- providing me with a lengthy overview of where to go in the city, as well as a great restaurant tip. Nice individualized rooms with clean modern bathrooms.

• irisbe's Profile Photo

In a nice area with seafood restaurants

It claims to be the smallest hotel in Brussels. The bar/reception on the first floor looked very nice and cosy. I passed it the first time when I was on my way with Norali to Les Bains de Bruxelles, a happening. The second time we passed it was when Allain & Jeanne-Marie (Rahine); Alain (alain_smeets) and Nathalie (Nathalie_B) passed it when we came back from a visit to the Belle Vue brewery a little bit further.
    Of course we were curious if the prices were also the smallest in Brussels, but that was kind of a disappointment.
    Nevertheless, this looks like a special hotel and it has every room decorated different.

Who knows one day I might write a review on it ;)

Unique Quality: Location is very good; each room has its own design.
    Do visit the website and have a look at the pictures! It looks beautiful!

Directions: corner of Place St Catherine (Metro station)

• Norali's Profile Photo

When you are at it, go browsing the fish market

When Eva (diageva) advised me that she was staying in Brussels for the week-end and that she was looking for an accomodation tip, this one and a B&B came to my mind.

Hotel Welcome is a family-run hotel on Place du Marché aux Poissons. For living in Brussels, I've never stayed there but I understood it was a good deal: not expensive, located in the center. I would think that for it being located in the center, nights would have been noisy, but seems not.

Then, I could visit the hotel interior while putting down Eva's luggage. The interior appeared refurbished, was clean. Eva's room was a single bed one. I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the bed in the attic (Shame on me! I did so while the staff member was showing us the room. I was still thinking of the labyrinth-like corridor and now, this bedroom). One had to climb the ladder to reach the bed. And yes, as Eva said, one shouldn't be drunk if was occupying this room. Apart from that, it was nicely decorated, clean. Each room at Welcome hotel has a specific theme: Eva's room was the Japan room. That was for the single room I could see. There are Indian, Tibet, Egypt, Congo rooms that are decorated according to their theme.

Another con's: without the help of the staff, one wouldn't find the rooms by oneself though. The corridors were a kind of labyrinth. To reach the bedrooms at upper storeys, one has to browse the corridors that, even in the same storey, seem to be located on many levels then, you have to turn left and right many times before finding the lift (1st floor). We were not drunk but we had some trouble finding our way in the "smallest hotel in Brussels" (used to be so before refurbishment & extension, that is). I think that this is due to the merge of some parts and the extension of the property to provide with more rooms (10 rooms now).

All in all, I would still recommend it. See why in below paragraphs.... **cont'd**

Unique Quality: ... Description: - part 2
    I could talk with the caring staff member there. She told me about the forthcoming works that will be done to have the property fit. She said that since La Truite d'Argent (restaurant of the hotel) is closing, its surface will be added to the hotel's. So, one would be able to take the lift at basement level (located in the surface of La truite d'Argent, seemingly) to reach the upper storeys and then, no need to go through the "labyrinth" anymore. Also, this extension will allow them to change the entrance door. It will look then on Place du Marché aux poissons, not on Rue du peuplier anymore. I guess I will check when they finish the works (or maybe not).

Unique Qualities:

Its first asset, for me, is its location on the Fish Market place, and neighbouring Ste-Catherine place. It grants you with the possibility to browse the Fish market in the morning. Lively neighbourhood.

Also, it is not far from Grand-Place and from there is a good connection with metro net. So, even if you are returning late at night, you wouldn't walk that far from the metro station to reach the hotel.

On Fish market place are the fish & seafood restaurants of Brussels. The Fish market place itself is worth the glance in summer with the blooming tree lines, the quays that are opened. And well, I have told it, it uses to house the Christmas market in December (see General tips section). Quite atmospheric with the carrousels, the stalls, the ice skating rink, the eerie.

Also, the St-Géry, Dansaert & Ste-Catherine area provide you with cozy summer terraces where to sip beer and catch a bit of sun.

I haven't been in the restaurant La truite d'Argent but seems to have an interesting setting. An Art Déco style where used to go Jacques Brel and other VIP (politicians, gvt members of the past)

Price on their website:
    Single 85
    Double Standard 95

Directions: Place du Marché aux Poissons, very close to Place Ste-Catherine, Bourse and Grand-Place. M metro station: Ste-Catherine

• diageva's Profile Photo

Welcome Hotel

My friend Norali tall me about Welcome Hotel. A centre and nice hotel.

I made a reservation by their web page over 2 am and at 11 am did not had any answerd from the hotel, so I call them. At 11 they had not open yet the email :)

By phone they told me that the did had a free single room. My room was to be JAPAN room.

A very clean and nice hotel.

Unique Quality: If you see their web page you will see how nice the diferents rooms are.
    JAPAN room was very original but I didn't find it confortable, for going to bed you should get up throught a very narrow steps, and for getting to the room you should walk and you can even get lost :)
    I will sugest to stay in this hotel for the nice and wonderful situation, but try to get a room not in the top floor, that are the ones with the room in 2 levels. But if you get JAPAN or other in the top ... they are ok also.
    The breakfast was include and was good enought. 85 euros for single room. Very nice workers.

Directions: The subway station Sainte-Catherine very near Grand Place.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Brussels smallest hotel

This was a delightful place that brags of being the smallest hotel (only 10 rooms) in Brussels and had a most accommodating owner.

They also provide a shuttle service to and from the airport for 30 Euros one way or 60 round trip.

Unique Quality: The rooms all have different geographic themes. We stayed in the Provance room purported to be where Brigette Bardot once slept. The halls are lined with photographs of the old canal which has been covered over and made into a pleasant plaza. The breakfast room was lovely and the food very good. There is a fine restaurant associated with the hotel, but it is a bit on the expensive side.

Directions: Just down from Ste. Catherine cathedral and the former canal which is now lined with restaurants.

• LysDor's Profile Photo

HOTEL WELCOME - Restaurant LA TRUITE D'ARGENT

I was truly impressed by the quality and the originality of this small hotel I knew nothing before! I've been visiting Brussels for the last twenty years and only now I discovered the Hotel Welcome as I wanted some change from the "big" hotel chains.
    You cannot imagine what was my reaction when I entered the China room where I was to stay 3 nights (11/2003)- amazed!!

What an excellent stay I had in my beloved city.

Before leaving I had the opportunity to meet & chat with the owner Michel.I learned how he came to manage the hotel he is still improving and why he is fighting back his missing third star - his establishment highly deserved - that was taken away from him this year!

Now I'm counting days before my next visit to Brussels in may 2004 by car and my stay in this hotel I highly recommend!

Unique Quality: The hotel is both unusual and surprising offering a veritable world tour for it?s discerning clientele, as each of it?s 15 rooms represents a country of the world.
    The rooms are uniquely decorated in the style of each country with genuine artefacts, some provided by previous hotel guests.

Member of Chateaux et Demeures de Prestige &
    Member of Logis de Belgique

Directions: Situated in a quiet street in the heart of Brussels at Place St. Catherine - the old Fish Market of Brussels, 6 minutes walking from the famous Grand Place.

Subway station Sainte-Catherine - just opposite of the hotel

• venteeocho's Profile Photo

just 6 min from the grand place

Situated on the old Fish Market, and a mere 10 minute walk from Grand Place, this is the smallest hotel in all of Brussels. Housed in an 18th-century building, Hotel Welcome's 10 rooms have been recently renovated to offer modern comforts such as a private bathroom with shower or bath, and hairdryer. On the ground floor you'll find La Truite d'Argent, a fine seafood restaurant where hotel guests enjoy special prices.
    There are fully equipped banquet and conference rooms for up to 50 people

Directions: Populierstraat 5 Rue du Peuplier

More about Brussels Welcome Hotel

WOW!!!

by TripAdvisor Member CEDFR

This is one for the books!! This little hotel is a MUST if you are staying in Brussels. Each room has a theme..our was Tibet. There is the Egypt, Japan, and others. You get the picture. Anyway, our room was very well done, really like you stepped into a Tibetan enclave. It was very romantic, comfortable and has a HUGE bathroom with a bathtub, shower, two sinks. We were thrilled with the room. The complementary breakfast was good: pastries, cereals, fruit, cheeses, waffles, etc. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the room was very reasonable. I would stay there again tomorrow..oh, I wish!!! Highly recommend this place and if you get a chance to go to Brussels..GO!!

Unique and friendly - Excellent!

by TripAdvisor Member echevin

I booked this hotel after reading reviews on this website. I'm pleased I did! This was my honeymoon hotel and I booked into the suite (The Silk Room). Whilst the room was not quite finished (maybe 90% done) it didn't matter because it was beautifully decorated and was huge! Loved the Jacuzzi and shower!
The staff were the friendliest I have ever come across - that is worth its weight in gold in my opinion. They were more than happy to book restaurants and taxis and help with recommendations of restaurants etc.
Only problem during the stay (which is why I won't give full marks) is that 2 staff on seperate occasions walked into the room (after knocking) without waiting for an answer - not a problem but they didn't supply 'Do Not Disturb' signs even when we asked.
Best waffles in Brussels - Dandoy, located in Rue De Buls - AMAZING!
I would normally only book modern high-star hotels but I am so glad I booked this one - great place! Would go back if I was in Brussels. Brussels in general exceeded expectations - food, beer, chocolate, scenery, etc. Everyone was friendly and spoke English when we struggled!

The red awnings is the Brussels Welcome HotelThe red awnings is the Brussels Welcome Hotel

Comments