Hotel Argus Brussels

Satisfaction Average

More about Brussels

Sas Brasserie - BrusselsSas Brasserie - Brussels

Chocolate demonstrationChocolate demonstration

The statue near Luxemburg station.The statue near Luxemburg station.

The Bit Before The TreesThe Bit Before The Trees

by clareabee

I have been doing some research on tripadvisor for restaurants in Brussels and i am not having much success - they are either incredibly expensive and/or have rubbish service/food quality.

Can anybody recommend some restaurants? We are staying near Louise metro on Toison D'dor but would consider anywhere within walking distance and would like somewhere around grand place (although i realise that some of these are tourist traps)

Thanks in advance

Clare

Re: can anybody recommend any decent restaurants in Brussels that don't break the bank

by clareabee

thanks Pedmar - off to have a look now!

by vpeter

First tip: don't go to the Beenhouwersstraat/Rue des Bouchers for restaurants.
This small street is touristtrap hors categorie.
On the Anspach Blv. is El Metteko citycafé. It is a nice old artnouveau café with some meals and Belgian beers for a reasonable price.
A little more money, also an artnouveau building, is Falstaff on the Henri Maussstreet.
Both Metteko and Falstaff are near Grand Place situated.
You can find more restaurants on http://www.resto.be/ware/index.jsp?lg=EN
If you have questions, don't hessitate to mail me.

Have a nice time in Brussels

peter

by clareabee

hi peter thank you for the information - I am off to see if i can find any menus for these restaurants!

by vpeter

El Metteko has no menu on its site but Falstaff has:

Enjoy your meal:-)

P.

by clareabee

thanks Peter - somebody else recommended Falstaff but reviews on tripadvisor don't seem so good!

by vpeter

In Rue de la Bourse, thats on the other side of the Bursebuilding, you'll find Le Cirio. Maybe that's the place for you. Also in artnouveaustyle. Plenty Belgian beers. I never tried the food there but it seems good.
Don't forget to visit the toilet in the Cirio: so beautiful.
I've searched for a site from the Cirio for you but couldnt find. Mybe this one helps a bit: http://www.ebru.be/Cafes/CafCirio.html

peter

by clareabee

thanks peter that sounds right up my street - thank you!!!!

by vpeter

Le Cirio was the favourite hangout for Jacques Brel the Belgian singer welknown for his song Ne me quitte pas.

p.

Travel Tips for Brussels

Grote Markt

by bugulma

One of the most beautiful places of Europe I've ever seen. You can just stay in the center of the square and step by step turn around and shoot photos. The history of the square dates back to XII century when the city became commercial city on the way between France and Flanders and German cities. The style of houses we see nowadays relates with the beginning of XV century. In 1695 French troops completely destroyed the square building complex and it was restored during XVIII-XIX centuries.

The bars! Belgium is well...

by Maxime_F

The bars! Belgium is well known for its non-ending list of beers, so don't waste your time and test them all. Good luck!
Restaurants are also very good and cheap. Around the Stock exchange it has become the most trendy place to go out all the week long.

Leopold Parc

by Imaniac

There are many parcs in and around Brussels. The Leopold Parc is near the EC area. It's a quite small parc, but it has some great views. It has also got a nice little pond and some small hills that you have to climb.

it's a tough job but somebody has to do it

by richiecdisc

We met up with old VT friend Cuqui in Bier Circus where numerous beers lubricated our tongues and force us to seek refurbishment at a local kabob house en route to the lunacy of Delirium. This new world café was new even to me heralding not only 2000 beers but also what seemed 2000 under age drinkers! The adept barman juggled not only the many patrons but perhaps more amazingly the huge beer menu without error as I found beer after beer I’d been “searching for” for days. Though I’d probably have stayed far beyond what I should with a mid-morning train back to Düsseldorf, my more sensible companions forced me into making one final choice. Of course, I opted for a 750 ml bottle of a strong Trappist Ale. I see pictures of myself enjoying it now and wonder how I managed to look so sane when depraved would have been a better estimation of my state at the time. Alas, we finished every last drop with some Trappist cheese for good measure (and likely much needed sustenance despite a kabob on our way there) and set off to find our way back to our Pension. We insisted on getting our local friend close to her home en route and wound up doing a bit more walking than we might have otherwise. But it was the least we could do; she’d have to work the next day. All we’d have to do is take a train to Cologne, try numerous versions of the local Kolsch beer and then head to Düsseldorf for some their local Alt beer. Come to think of it, maybe it was us that had more “work” to do than our comrade the next day. But who can argue when one loves their work as much as I do and each day brings me to another beery paradise.

From the east end of Rue des...

by Pegasus74

From the east end of Rue des Bouchers/Beenhouwersstraat, head north to the Comic Museum (situated along Rue des Sables) to read Tintin & Snowy's adventures and many other comic characters' picture stories. Or if you're not at all interested in comics, go north-east to visit St Michael's Cathedral. This Gothic-style cathedral rises majestically on a hillside, conspicuous from a distance. Its stained-glass windows which portray important characters from European history, and the statues of the apostles which stands at the sides of the nave are undeniably impressive.

Not too far east is the Parliament Building (Palais der Natie & Palais de la Nation). Lying opposite the palazzi is the City Park (Parc de Bruxelles) which used to serve as the royal hunting grounds. Its immediate south is the Royal Palace (Palais Royale) which rich interior decorations are exposed to the public only for six weeks after the national day on 21 July. Today the Royal Family no longer resides here but that which lies in the outlying district of Laeken, to the north of the city.

Comments