24 Avenue de Tervueren, Brussels, 1040, Belgium

Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Wireless Internet Throughout - NOT!

With a room rate of 62 Euros for a central hotel in a major European capital city I didn't have high expectations from this hotel. But all I needed was a bed for the night, ideally close to the Metro, and the included breakfast was a minor bonus.

So far as my basic expectations were concerned the Hotel Derby lived up to them. my single room was small, sparsely furnished and a bit shabby but it was clean, the bed was comfortable and all the light bulbs worked. Reception was friendly with easy check in and out. The breakfast was fine, served on a tray in your room, and in fact the coffee was very good (and I got three cups out of the little pot).

However I'd booked the hotel on the basis that it offered: "Wireless internet is available throughout the entire hotel and is free of charge" (booking.com). This is just a blatant lie. Apart perhaps from some of the 1st floor rooms the WiFi is only available in a poky little back room which doubles as the luggage storage cupboard. Not only that but when I asked at reception for the code the guy happily handed it to me but didn't even mention the fact that I wouldn't be able to use it in my 4th floor room. So not happy with that.

Another minor complaint is that if you intend having a long lie and the room next door is having an early breakfast you'll get woken up by the banging on their door to announce the breakfast's arrival. I was woken up at 7 am by next door's breakfast whilst my own wasn't booked until 9.30 but that's not a major problem for me as I just rolled over and fell straight back to sleep.

Unique Quality: This is a scruffy, cheap hotel and apart from the WiFi is actually quite good value for money. The location is good, just up from the Jubilee Park and the area is lively with characterful local bars and restaurants and the hotel's front door is within spitting distance of the Merode Metro station.

That said, I doubt if I'll stay here again.

Directions: A couple of minutes walk from the Jubilee Park and immediately next to the Merode Metro stop.

Comments