Hotel Metropole - A Summit Hotel

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 20% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• zeusapollo's Profile Photo

Great Place To Stay

I stayed here for a few days for a friends wedding. The rooms were large by European standards, the bathrooms were modern. The hotel has that old world European charm, so do not expect everything to be gleaming and new. The staff was friendly.

The location is fantastic. It is within a few blocks of the central part of Brussels including many restaurants. I walked from here all around central Brussels on one morning. Parking is available. I would recommend the valet. They kept my car right out front the entire time I was there.

Unique Quality: The lobby is very impressive. I wish I knew more about architectural history, because I could tell you the style of architecture. There were several mirrors, marble, chandeliers. Very nice.

Directions: I used the navigation system in my car.

• simonrkeen's Profile Photo

Beautiful Interiors

We stayed for 3 nights in the Metropole, we had a room without a view, but that was fine as the room was quite large and airy. The bathroom was a decent size, marble, with a full size bath. The shower was a bit ropey though, it was one of those with a hose from the taps, the problem was the hose was too short so it got in the way when showering. (I am super fussy about these sorts of things!)

Breakfast was not included in our room rate, but we had breakfast each day and paid extra for it. I must admit that I was not impressed with either the breakfast room or the selection of food available for the price. Don't get me wrong, the quality of the food was fine, just a limited selection on offer from the buffett. The breakfast room itself I think must have been a ballroom, it is pretty vast. My criticism is that the tables are placed randomly across the ballroom floor, this gives a strange spaced out feeling to the room - not at all cosy and inviting, more like a surreal space with breakfasters "grazing" in a field.

Unique Quality: The best parts of the hotel are the common areas like the brasserie and the bar. There are many period features that exude a luxurious feel. Again, be pretty fussy, I found that the service didn't match up to the surroundings - the service is more akin to a touristy bar, brisk and impersonal.

• DanielF's Profile Photo

A Brussels institution

Unique Quality: The foyer and rest of common areas of this centrally located hotel display as much turn-of-the-century grandeur as you could wish for. This is actually the oldest luxury hotel in the city and its beautiful café facing the street is a real institution.

The rooms, however, although they can vary enormously (independently of the fare you pay), do not live up to the expectations that the lavishness of the lobby triggers. They would not even qualify, in my opinion, for the five-star category that the hotel boasts.

Stay here only if you can find a good deal and prefer historical hotels to the blandness of most of the chain hotels in Brussels.

• tojoh's Profile Photo

Stately living in Brussels

There are few hotels, I have ever stayed at, that have left a mark than the stately Hotel Metropole in Brussels. It is built in 1895 and is a monument of times long gone carved in granite and marble, and lit by crystal chandeliers. When you enter the wonderful lobby you feel that this is the kind of hotel you would never would afford to stay. If you, however, try book over the internet, you may be lucky, and you are really in for a treat.

The service at the hotel Metropole is excellent, polite english-speaking staff took well care of you from you arrived until you left. We were lucky to have breakfast included in our price. The breakfast area were situated in the basement area, and we enjoyed a wonderful buffet in very stately manner.

Unique Quality: The interior of this wonderful hotel is to die for. You are back to the turn of the last century and you are overwhelmed by this old time charm. The lobby, the café, the restaurant and the large ornamental rooms connected to the lobby, where you can just sit and enjoy a drink in a stately environment. You can also have a great dinner at L'Alban Chambon from an exclusive menu.

But as luxury hotels go, it lacks some of the facilities that you might have expected in a luxury hotel. For those of you that prefer some physical exercise there are no swimming pools. However there is a health and beauty centre at the hotel. You may also enjoy a WLAN in the hotel lobby free for guests.

Directions: You find Hotel Metropole at Place Brouckère, close to Theatre de Monnaie and the shopping street Rue Neuve, by the de Brouckère subwaystation. Tram (Green line) from both Gare de Nord or Gare Centrale (Line 1a and 1b - direction Roi Baudoin / Bizet).

• Have breakfast at the Metropole for 8.50 €

Can't afford a night at the Metropole? Have breakfast there instead for only 8.50 € as at April 2006. The breakfast itself is nothing amazing - bread, butter, jam and a bit of cheese - but it's a cheap and comfortable way to admire the fabulous architecture.

Unique Quality: I've got nothing to add to other people's descriptions of this famous hotel.

• Metro

Here is were I sat to plan for the weekends....were I received my friends, were i watched television, make music with the computer......my living room....

Unique Quality: I could make 2 beds from a sofa

• Brussels oldest hotel

Well first of all a bit of info for you all....I was working in the kitchen of this *****Hotel as a student, and they gave me accomodation in a room for students. Here I met Frank, who was also studing there, and we became friends since the first moment, the thing is that we could communicate the rooms from the inside so we opened the doors, and the one in between (there was no one in it) and we made a big house for two, were we could bring friend if they wanted to stay for the night, there were nights that we had up to 5 persons living with us...

Unique Quality: Just in the center of the city.....5 stars, too good to be real if everything is tor free.....but it was REAL

• melissa_bel's Profile Photo

The best place to go back in time.

Stepping into the Metropole is like going back in time, at the turn of the century. The lavish lobby floor has become a classic in Brussels, With its marble floor, high ceiling adorned by marble columns, stained glass, palmetto and large and inviting leather couches, close your eyes and you could almost believe that Sarah Berhart will be strolling by shortly (she really stayed here). Even the old style metal elevator has been preserved (I used to take it just for fun). If you don’t plan to stay, you can have a nice drink at the Café Metropole. It has a special place in my heart because it was the first café I went to when I first arrived in Brussels. It is as beautiful as the rest of the hotel.

Unique Quality: The most historical (and probably beautifullest) hotel in town.

Historic detail -- 100 yrs at the Metropole Hotel

Unique Quality: Built in 1895, the public rooms and facade are protected as historic monuments. The decoration is ornate -- varying from Renaissance to Empire.

A bedroom in the Metropole

It was a large bedroom with a lovely bathroom on a large airwell. Even the airwells are sumptuous at the Metropole :))))

Unique Quality: Notice the reproduction of a painting by the Belgian painter, Reneé Magritte.

Modern luxury an easy walk from Grand Place

The public areas of the hotel are spectacular. The rooms modern and comfortable. This was a one night "splurge" before the flight home. No regrets:)

• annarborsef's Profile Photo

Beautiful experience

Outstanding value, if you can get a discounted room (try bookings dot nl and others). The rooms have nice detail & very high ceilings. Spacious bathroom, but the bedroom is just adequate. The lobby is spectacular, and the front patio makes for interesting people watching.

This is the second time we have stayed here, and we look forward to our next visit.

Unique Quality: There's a subway entrance right in front of the hotel. The Grand Place is a slow 10 minute walk.

• LysDor's Profile Photo

LE MÉTROPOLE

This has always been my favourite spot to stay or to enjoy a refreshment at the heated terrace.
    ..............
    It's the city's only remaining 19th century hotel, perpetuating a uniquely Belgian character. It has very big rooms which are decorated in that same spirit.
    So is the beautiful lobby.
    .............
    It's terrace (heated in wintertime) is a tradition for locals and tourists even if prises are little higher :-) !!
    ............
    For more pictures and details check the link below
    ...........................

• Brussels has got the same...

Brussels has got the same 'hotels grand luxe' that Paris is famous for, but in contrast to the French capital they are still somehow affordable here. If you want to treat yourself to one or two really enjoyable and very, very comfortable nights, you should go for a weekend, summer (July/August) or winter (January) rate at Hotel METROPOLE at Place de Brouckère (a real art déco palace with a great hall and breakfast room full of ornaments and marble, but some rooms which would need a renovation!) or at Hotel LE PLAZA nearby in Boulevard Adolphe Max which is more modern (fax on every room) but also has a hall which is reminiscent of Versailles.

More about Hotel Metropole - A Summit Hotel