Hotel de la Madeleine

malianrob's Profile Photo

Hotel La Madeleine

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 30, 2010

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is excellent. You are close to the Grand Place and several restaurants. You are also very close to the Central Station. It is more affordable than other hotels nearby but still somewhat pricey for a two star in my opinion.
Breakfast was included but it wasnt very good. It was a basic breakfast with some lunch meats, some cheese, coffee, orange juice and a few other things.
We had to pay for the hotel upfront when we checked in but we were lucky to have the room available right away. We came very early in the morning and check in was much later. The guy at the front desk wasnt very helpful when we asked questions, just kind of seemed like he didnt want to be bothered. I dont know if they only have one set of keys per room or what but whenever we left the hotel they wanted us to leave the room key which I thought was odd.
We were on the second floor but the whole layout of the hotel was odd. We got in the elevator and it took us to the second floor, then went down the hall for a bit then went up a few steps then walked alittle more and went down a few more steps to get to our room. It was like a maze. The hallways were very dimly lit and I actually missed a step at one time.
Our room was decent. It IS a two star hotel but we only needed to sleep for the night so we werent looking for some place fancy. The hotel furnishings are pretty old and not very well taken care of and the carpet seriously needs to get changed. I didnt feel totally comfortable sleeping here because I was afraid something might crawl out of somewhere. It just gave me that feeling. Luckily nothing ever did.
The bathroom was very clean, older but well stocked and the whole room as a whole was a good size. Alot of people complained about noise but we were toward the back and didnt hear anything.
If I had to stay here again I guess I would but I would definitely try to negotiate the price a bit more. Also the pictures on the website make the hotel look nicer than what it really looks like.

Unique Quality: Unique Qualities has to be the location. Its a very central hotel that made walking to sights easy.

Directions: By train:get off at the Gare Centrale and cross Blvd.de l'Empereur. Go to"Rue de la Madeleine".Take the first street on your right hand side at the square which is Rue de la Montagne. The hotel is on the upper section of the street on the right hand side.

unaS's Profile Photo

VERY central location

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 10, 2007

Small 2* extraordinarily well located for an inexpensive yet decent place to stay. Three minutes walk from the Central train station, 2 minutes from Grand Place. Easy walking distance to most tourist sites. Excellent choice of places to eat with varying prices just outside the front door.

Small rooms, some with slightly peeling walls. Clean, well kept.Can be a bit noisy on weekend nights.

Friendly and competent people at the reception desk.

Unique Quality: I had a front room. Due to a local night club that began to operate at 3 AM I requested a change of room (was staying for 4 nights). I was given an inner room, but the shower was broken.

Was then given a free upgrade from a single to a double room. Really nice too!

Also when leaving Brussels for Schipol airport I wanted to do an online check-in. Couldn't do it from Belgium. Asked the desk clerk to call them for me. He spent some 20 minutes trying to help. The KLM people would not accept an early check-in from outside of Amsterdam. Not the clerk's fault - he was immensely helpful and did everything he could think of to help me.

Directions: Most place a tourist want to visit are within 5-10 minutes walk.
The Central train station is 3 minutes walk, the Grand Place 2 minutes.

DanielF's Profile Photo

A budget option near the Grand' Place

by written on January 26, 2007

As a tourist, I think it really makes sense to stay near the Grand Place, close to the city's biggest draws. There a few chain hotels (Ibis, Mercure, Novotel) hosted in bland faux-Renaissance buildings just a stone-throw from the square. If you do not fancy the unimaginative rooms provided by these chains and cannot afford the rates of the fancier and cosier Le Dixseptième (a few blocks away on Rue de la Madeleine), you can try the simple and unpretentious Hotel de la Madeleine. I have never stayed there myself, but I have sent here a few acquainted visitors who were budget conscious and they were all quite satisfied with the hotel.

Unique Quality: The hotel is located a few metres away from the Grand Place and the Galeries Saint-Hubert, right in the middle of all the action. Although by the façade you would tell this might be a traditional bed-and-breakfast kind of place, the decoration in the rooms and in the lobby is rather characterless and spartan. Nowever, the rates are affordable considering its central location and the staff have always been extremely kind and helpful.

belgianchocolate's Profile Photo

A perfect place to start..

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 24, 2004

This time it was Frederik, who did the reservation.
He choose this hotel. Hotel La Madelaine.
I must warn you , in the picture you can see this
great facade. Well , that is the only thing left
from this nice historical building.
Behind that there is a whole new hotel with
about 50 small but very clean rooms.
So , don't expect old furniture , paintings , ..
but just simple green fake bamboo interior.

A little room , a very small TV , a nice Bathroom ,
very friendly staff (in Dutch , french , English...)

Unique Quality: Like if you are going to watch TV?
This hotel is located at a top location.
It's back leans against the 'Koninginnegallerij' ,
or 'Galerie de la Reine' and the 'Rue des Bouchers ,
you can hear the rumours on the 'grand place'
when there is music and when your in the front
of the hotel your looking over 'rue du March? aux herbes'
or 'de Grasmarkt'.
A vivid square where a lot of hotels are located.

That is also a little bid a lesser quality ,
there is a lot of noise from cars trying to find
a parkings spot , drunk British tourist that make
noise. If you need a good night sleep ,
ask for a room in the back.
You can also hear the door from the neighbours..

Also very convenient is the luggage room.
Bring you luggage in when you arrive and you
can immediately move on into the city.

And last but not least - the central train station
is just a 5 minutes walk away combined with
a very nice weekend-rate price policy.

We missed the breakfast because we went
dancing....
and didn't feel like rushing down before 10,30.

Nearby Hotel de la Madeleine

Amenities at Hotel de la Madeleine

• Airport Transportation
  • Pets Allowed

Brussels Travel Forum

Need advice about Brussels, Belgium? Visit the Travel Forum for Brussels and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Brussels hotel reviews