120 rue du Marche Aux Herbes, Brussels, 1000, Belgium

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 11% higher than other 4 star hotels

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Central business style hotel

This hotel is very centrally located to the historic areas and can be walked easily. The hotel is also only one block away from metro and Brussels Central Train Station, so transit by rail is easy to nearly all of Brussels, the airports and beyond.

The rooms are relatively new, so the furniture is more modern and in good condition. The room descriptions on the web site may not match what you actually get (for example my room on internet said I'd have a sofa but I did not), but the rooms are quite nice nonetheless. The bed, desk, bathrooms and chairs were all good.

Unique Quality: The hotel offers free internet in the lobby. There is a bar in the hotel, but it is slightly more expensive.

The breakfast buffet is quiet nice, particularly for those with a more North American breakfast appetite.

It is part of the Accor Hotel group for those with membership status.

Directions: One block west of Brussels Central Train Station and about ~3 minute walk from the Grand Palace.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Location, location, location

I stayed here on a business trip when work paid, wanting to be close to the Central station and metro whilst being in the city centre too. I knew this location cannot be beaten, with the hotel being only two blocks away from the Grand Place and at the same time just a block away from the Central station which is by far the least seedy of the Brussels stations and great for moving around.

The room was spacious and had a comfy double bed and a sofa. The TV had loads of cable channels which is only to be expected in Belgium, so you will have all sorts of channels on what was in fact a flat screen TV. The bathroom was separated from the toilet in our room and I found it peculiar that the toilet had no sink. Despite facing the street, the room was quiet and not too hot nor cold. The room also had a mini bar and coffee making facilities. Breakfast was in their "Food court" area which doubles as a restaurant in the evening and left nothing to wish for. Croissants, bread rolls and cereals of all sorts along with yoghurt, fresh fruit and so on. We dined in the restaurant once as we knew the Ilot Sacrë quarters nearby to hold either tourist trap places or fully booked ones and it was raining heavily. The food was great and service friendly but discreet. My only complaints were that the decoration looked more like some bright contemporary Scandinavian design which I had just escaped rather than snug Belgian, and that the menu could also have held more Belgian things rather than a sort of experimental international variety. The portions are also not for the starving type, especially considering the price but then again this is a city centre hotel restaurant in the capital of Europe so as such we did not feel robbed. I would definately stay here again if I could find a good internet rate again (otherwise it is quite expensive for what it is due to the location - you can find similar rates for more famous hotels). They just need to sort out this thing with your key card operating the lift - sometimes it would not work...

Unique Quality: Location, location, location

Directions: Between the Central station and Grand Place

• Alpha_Ghana's Profile Photo

Novotel

I have been three times to this Novotel. I had twice the bad luck to experience works of renovation and three times a new trainee who could not check me in and out.
    Rooms are like in all Novotels, so you are not surprised.

Unique Quality: The new restaurant offers a good atmosphere and modern, ecclectic food, trying to remind the Belgian cuisine

• Suet's Profile Photo

Central Hotel in Brussels

I like the Novotel Chain, it has a good standard and marevllous service. We are Preferred Guests which mean we get first choice of rooms and don't have to check out until 2.00pm instead of 11am as usual. You can also get points which you can use for free weekends and also at the Ibis Hotel chain.

This novotel had a bar, restaurant, good sized lobby, minibar TV internet connection and wake up service in the room, good sized bath/shower and separate bog.

They have electronic keys which you have to use in the lifts to make it work, a good security measure. They also give you tickets for the breakfast room in the morning, but don't bother, it's 15 euros extra and not worth the money. You'd do better to go to a cosy cafe and get hot coffee and croissants. Or go to the place just opposite across the road for takeway pastries and hot drinks.

Unique Quality: I liked the view from the windows of this hotel over a small square in the heart of Brussels. It's also right in the centre and a short walk from Grand Place (about 2 mins). There is a sandwich place just opposite for lunch at 2 Euros but if they put in salad and veggies, it costs a bit more *about 40 cents*.

It's about 5 minutes walk from Brussels Centrale Station so very easy to get to.

Directions: 120 Rue Marche aux Herbes Brussels

• Imbi's Profile Photo

Expensive

Another hotel in Brussels which could easily be called overpriced. I don’t know but I found hotels were very expensive in Brussels. You don’t mind staying in a nice expensive hotel when you are getting 100% of your money but like other hotels in Brussels, it was another hopeless hotel.

• Marcos_Ar's Profile Photo

Not that bad

Novotel Off Grand'Place is such a nice hotel. I don't have any complain, but I was waiting for something better. Room was OK and so was toilet.
    However, they had a weekend promotion, so it was cheaper than always.

Directions: Two blocks from Brussels' Gare Centrale

More about Novotel Brussels Grand Place

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member Gulfstream69xr7

My wife and I stayed at the Novotel Grand Place July 13-15. It is a very nice hotel and the rates were very reasonable. It is right of the Grand Place and for the money, it was one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in.

Excelent choice

The Novotel off Grand Place is 5 minutes walk from the Central Station and absolutely in the middle of the best to see in Brussels. The location couldn't be better.
The hotel as well is almost perfect. Very nice lobby, modern and clean rooms, well equiped bathroom, everything we need to have a great stay.
The only down side could be the prices for everything else in the hotel. The breakfast would cost 17 euros per person, per day. The minibar was almost untouchable. The internet access costs 5 euros for 15 minutes. And so on...
In my customer side view this is something that hotels in general should reevaluate for their own good. Everyone I talk to about hotel services prices tell me that they never use any service at most of the hotels. Looks like it is already a common sense that they hyper-overcharge everything creating a barrier which is probably lowering their profits and upseting their guests. I would be glad to pay 10 or even 20% above the prices on the street, but not 300% or 400% more. But who am I to question their policies? Whatever...

Great central location

by TripAdvisor Member willicarj

A buddy and I stayed at the Novotel on April 27th for a night on a side trip from Amsterdam. Its about a 5 minute walk from Central Station and a block from the Grand Place. The decor of the hotel was nice and modern and the room was comfortable. We flipped a coin for the bed and I ended up with the pull out couch which ended up being the most comfortable pull out hide a bed couch I have ever slept on. The staff was friendly and our stay was just fine. Room 211 gives you a view of the little market area right in front of the hotel.

Like the shoe shine on each floor. Cleans those shoes off from hiking all around Brussels and in the parks.

The room would easily accomodate 3 people sleeping comfortably. If your prepay, non-refundable, your get a pretty good rate. I paid directly on Expedia and it as $127.00 (US)

If you want a inexpensive, above average, centrally located hotel near Grand Palace, I would recommend Novotel. We didnt eat at the hotel but rather at all the locations within a block. Great tai mussles down in the Grand Place area!!

Location, Location, Location (and affordable)

by TripAdvisor Member fightinghippos10

This is an excellent clean and modern hotel with a terrific location and affordable rates.

First, as already mentioned by others, the location is just a few blocks from both the Central Station and the Grand Place. This saved time and money as I was able to begin my Brussels adventures just about immediately after arrival into the city. Most of the main sights in Brussels are within walking distance, and since everything leads back to the Grand Place, you can easily stop in to drop off stuff or take a quick break from sightseeing and shopping.

I was able to get a good rate of 85 Euros, pre-paid. The staff was helpful during check-in and was able to recommend restaurants, which was nice since the Grand Place area has hundreds to choose from. The one quirky thing is that you have to slide your room card into a slot in the elevator in order to choose your floor. Hard to argue about the safety aspects, though.

The hotel and my room reminded me of a W. The interior is very modern. The room itself had very functional furniture. The desk rotated 90 degrees to offer more workspace, and there was a lap board to make working on a computer or writing more comfortable. Also, there was a brand new LG LCD TV in the room. Bathroom was clean and the shower had good water pressure. The toilet was in a separate room, which I always find a bit odd. I had a kind bed and it was comfortable. Plenty of closet and storage space in the room.

WiFi is offered beginning at 10 Euros for 2 hours.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone: business or pleasure.

Enjoyed our stay here

by TripAdvisor Member Jonathan_68

We stayed for a weekend at the Novotel, and we really liked our clean and neat double room (business-like style), the fact that the hotel was so near Grand'Place and the centre and the Gare centrale, so we could come back to the hotel and go out again quickly. Even though central, the rooms are very well isolated from noise. We also found the staff generally helpful. For such a location and room, the price is reasonable (our formula was 89 euros per night incl. breakfast).

Comments