Royal Hostel

...Rubens......Rubens...

Departure area Brussels AirportDeparture area Brussels Airport

Brussels in December

Hello All
I am coming to Brussels as part of my next round the world trip in January
so i do have a few questions to ask (please do not direct me to links or to other info on the net, the point of asking questions in a forum is to get direct answers)

1) What is the prevalent language in Brussels, French or Dutch?
2) Does Brussels get much snow in January?
3) I wish to visit the atomium, is it far from downtown? is it true that they turn the lights on at night because it causes problems to planes?
4) What kind of half day/day tours could I do while in Brussels?
5) What are some of the local foods I should try? is it true that chips in Belgium are awesome?

Thanks!

by Gillybob

I would suggest a day trip to Brugge.

by K_V_B

1) In Brussels I always try Dutch first, then English. You'll be fine with English usually.
2) Brussels had quite a bit of snow this winter. It's anybodies guess what it will be next winter. That time of the year the weather can be mild or freezing cold, wet or dry. There is no way to know it for sure until you're there.
3) Atomium is in the suburb of Laken, but you can easily get there with Metro line 6. Get of at the "Heizel" stop. See www.mivb.be
4) Almost any other place in Belgium is doable as a daytrip from Brussel. Even Paris, London and Amsterdam are doable as daytrips. What do you want to see? Train times to everywhere you can find here: www.nmbs.be
5) Local food is good. But it's the local beer that's awesome.

One last remark: Mentioning that you don't want any links is like saying: I don't want to do any work myself, I want you to do everything for me. That is not really the purpose of this forum...

by Mikebb

We had 5 days in Brussels during Sept'08 and had a great time. I only speak English and it was like I was back home in Australia, everyone understood me.

Day trips we took were to Brugge, approx 1.5 hours on the train and we had a great time in Brugge even though it rained for the full 6 hours.Photos on my page.

We also took a day trip to Aachen, Germany by train 2 hours, change at Leige. There are many other cities in Belgium that you can easily take day trips. The train service is excellent.

Hey All

I was just thinking that for my time in Brussels I will do the following:

Day 1: Spend one day visiting the atomium and mini Europe
Day 2: I have the option of doing Ghent and Bruces day trip from Brussels OR or Antwerp and Bruges day trip, which one should I choose?

by K_V_B

If with "Antwerp and Bruges daytrip" or "Gent and Bruges daytrip" you mean an organized daytrip, then don't go on either. Go to Bruges or Gent or Antwerp on your own. Each of these cities is worth a day, and each is easily reached from Brussel.

by italmelb

But you see KVB when you are in a country only for 3 days, there is no time to waste and going to places on my own....I am much happier going with a bus tour
and seeing lots of places even if it's only for half a day each

If I had more time then of course I would go to places on my own

Travel Tips for Brussels

Atomium

by KiNyA

Yeah, the Atomium is big! No, it's huge! I was just staring at it. Later on when I was standing just in front of it I saw a table woth comment:
'Symbol of the 1958 Universal Exhibition, halfway between architecture and sculpture, the Atomium's shape was inspired by an iron crystl molecule, enlarged 150 billion times. Designed in an era of huge enthuism for scientific and technological progress by engineer A. Waterkeyn, assisted by architects A. and P. Polak, this aluminium-covered steel construction boasts impressive statistics: 18 meter-diameter spheres, 2400 tons and almost 3 years of study and ececution for this monument whose life span and impact largely execeeded the context of an ephemeral event.'

Grand Place (Grote Markt)

by AndyRG

Grand Place is the most splendid square in Europe, the centre of tourism, all roads lead there. There are tall, flemish renaissance buildings around it, it is the place where the most important ceremonies-festivals are been celebrated. It becomes a colourful place with a nice flower market, there is a traditional bird market on Sunday's mornings too.

The Cinquantenaire is a large...

by Pegasus74

The Cinquantenaire is a large museum conglomerate - art, history, military and motor vehicles, accessible from the Schuman Metro station. It was created in 1880 as part of the celebrations marking the 50th anniversary (as the name indicates) of Belgian independence. The spectacular Triumphal Arch, topped with a four-horse chariot, is visible from a distance and forms a beautiful backdrop on a picture.

Palais de Justice - Highlights The Skyline

by Mikebb

On our Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour we saw the dome of this building standing out above all long before we reached it. The dome had been renovated and the bright gold stood out and made us want to be up close.

We later returned to the Upper Town and again visited the Palais, indeed a building you must see when visiting Brussels.

King Leopold 2 was responsible for the construction of this huge building during the period 1866 to 1883. The Palais de Justice is still home to the city's law courts.

Catch the Metro Train to station Louise or bus 34, tram 91,92,93,94.

visit the Atomium.
The Atomium...

by Ronald_T

visit the Atomium.
The Atomium is the most original monument in Belgium.
A symbol of the spirit of science commemorated during the Universal Exhibition of 1958, it depicts an iron molecule that has been magnified 165 billion times.
Its perfect form has made it a collector’s item that is reproduced all over the world in everything up to and including Venetian glass.
For those with a head for heights, a lift climbs 100 meter and provides direct access to the structure’s uppermost sphere. From here, you can enjoy a view across the entire Centenaire complex and beyond.

Comments