Hostel Nina

in Mostar
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 2 reviews

Tags

Historical Travel Budget Travel Backpacking

We were tricked.. please read...

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 3, 2011

My girlfriend and I had booked this hostel one month in advance after reading the good reviews.

Upon arrival, Nina's Mother and and Brother came to pick us up from Mostar railway station. The journey was roughly 12 minutes long. As soon as we had arrived at the 'Hostel', I was confused. We were driven to a different buildin to the photos uploaded on their website and on hostelworld.com. A really old building in a what seemed to be, rough location. Nina's Mother told us that the Old Town was only a 10 minute walk and that the MAIN Hostel was a 15 minute walk. She was wrong, unless you are power walking / running, you could probably make it in those times, but for us, it took us 15-20 minutes to walk to Old Town and 25 minutes to their MAIN hostel.

The building we stayed in was horrible. If you have a look at the specification of their Hostel on their website or on Hostelword, you can see that they offer a wide range of facilities but in the building we stayed in, there wasn't even a fridge! We went to Mostar in July and it was 40°C, there was no air con, no fridge, no breakfast, no internet access, no TV, no '24 hour security', no washing machine, no outdoor terraced area - it was false advertisement.

After confronting Nina, she got very defensive and even looked like she was going to attack me. She said that I didn't ask for the above stuff when I made my booking... I didn't know you have to ask for a fridge in a hostel? It was a pathetic excuse.

My girlfriend and I walked to the main hostel one day and it was luxurious compared to the place we stayed in (aircon, internet, FRIDGE). We spoke to some English girls who were staying at the main hostel and they were paying the SAME amount as we were. In addition to that, the English girls we had met made a booking a FEW days prior to arrival, whereas we made our booking one month in advance, we were conned.

It was so hot during the night, I only managed to sleep a maximum of 3 hours, the main hostel had air con. My girlfriend barely sleep both nights - the place was disgusting. Nina's Mother provided us with a 'fan' which did not work at all. Even though it was fanning, there was no air coming out from it and it was so noisy we had to turn it off to try not to disturb the people in the other room. (see attached photo for the fan).

I'm assuming all the other good reviews below were due to the fact that they all stayed at the main hostel. However, I would look elsewhere regardless as they will probably try and con the next lot of visitors.

Unique Quality: The only thing unique about this place is that they didn't offer a fridge. I have travelled to many places and visited many hostels and fridges have always been something you don't need to make a request for.

Great Hostel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 14, 2007

Great location near the old town and Stari Most, this is hands down one of the freindliest, cleanest places you will find. Bus station pickup/drop off was a great perk. Free internet and helpful recommendations as to where to eat and what to see.

Unique Quality: Nina is a young law student, who is renting out rooms in their family home to fund the rebuilding of it after it was destroyed in the war. Wonderful, freindly people, who are honoured to have you stay with them, and frankly it is an honour to stay there and hear their story and enjoy this fantastic town.

Nearby Hostel Nina

1 Photo of Hostel Nina

View Professional Photos

Mostar Travel Forum

Need advice about Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina? Visit the Travel Forum for Mostar and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Mostar hotel reviews

Impressive old village
Neretva river
Hajji Alija Mosque
Things to Do
Discover more in this medieval village
Pocitelj
Nezir-agina đamija
Tabačica - Hadži Kurtova đamija
Kujundžiluk
Things to Do
This you have to walk to get to the Stari Most
Strolling around