Hotel Merona

Sebilj fountainSebilj fountain

Sarajevsko PivoSarajevsko Pivo

Old Orthodox ChurchOld Orthodox Church

Jajce Barracks: Building detailJajce Barracks: Building detail

How long to spend in Sarajevo and Mostar?

by crazylaughter

Hi,
I will be visiting Sarajevo soon and i was wondering if 1 and half days would be enough to see most of the attractions in sarajevo? Because im also planning for Mostar after that. I only have 3 days only for both Sarajevo and Mostar.
Anyone has any suggestions how long i should stay in each place?

And how do i get from Mostar to Split, is there a night train or a night bus? and does it normally delay? I have a flight to catch in Split ariport at 10.30.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Re: How long to spend in Sarajevo and Mostar?

by alan1972

Starting backwards, Mostar is quite a small place. You can easily see the city centre (the famous bridge and the surrounding old town) in half a day. If you want to add a daytrip, perhaps Blagaj is the best option - it can be reached by local buses from Mostar (fewer at weekends), there you can see the source of the river Buna, a dervish "tekke" (like a monastery), and walk up to the ruined hilltop fortress which has great views over Herzegovina.

Even if you go to Blagaj you'll probably only need a day for Mostar, leaving two days for Sarajevo which is a much larger city. That should be enough to see the main sights unless you really want to visit every little museum. In fact although I love Sarajevo I wouldn't say there are all that many specific "attractions", for me the appeal is more in wandering around the city enjoying its great location in the mountains.

Try to do the Sarajevo-Mostar trip in daylight as there is some great scenery on the way.

There are no trains from Mostar to Split, you could get a train to Ploce on the Croatian coast and then a bus, but it's a lot easier to get a direct bus. There are several buses daily, but it is not really far enough for a proper overnight journey (although there may well be a bus that will get you there in the middle of the night). You can check the current timetable at http://www.ak-split.hr/EN/index.html . Bear in mind that Split airport is on the opposite side of the city from Mostar so you will need to leave enough time to get there. You may be better to spend the night in Split or somewhere nearby (e.g. Trogir which is only a few minutes from the airport).

Re: How long to spend in Sarajevo and Mostar?

by TheWanderingCamel

I'd definitely say 2 days in Sarajevo and 1 in Mostar.

We took the train from Sarajevo to Ploce just a week or so ago - there's only one each day. It's a great trip through wonderful mountain scenery. The train leaves Sarajevo at 6.45am and arrives in Mostar at about 9am. There are late afternoon buses from Mostar to Split at 16.45 and 17.25, arriving Split at 20.35 and 21.10, which would give you enough time to enjoy a few hours in Mostar, enough to see the major sights at a reasonable pace. You will need to spend the night in Split in any case as the first bus of the day from Mostar arrives in Split at 10.10 - too late for you to make it to the airport for your flight.

Travel Tips for Sarajevo

Cheap and Nontouristy travel...

by Heniko

Travelling through the country side and seeing the devestation that war brings will make you change the way you look at things. The people are extremely friendly, the prices are low, and it's stll relatively unexploited by tourism.
Bosnia is extremely cheap! You can find rooms for a few dollars and meals for much less than in other Eastern European countries. The shopkeepers in the Turkish Quarter in Sarajevo are open to bargaining as well. In fact, it's a must...

Sarajevo by night

by HORSCHECK

Many buildings in and around Sarajevo's historic old town (Bascarsija) are beautifully illuminated at night.

So after sunset a stroll through the narrow alleys is highly recommended to soak up the special atmosphere.

Among the worth seeing illuminated sights are the National Library, the Sebilj Fountain, the Clock Tower, the Catholic Cathedral as well as most bridges.

Sense of humour

by craic

Such an important attribute.

I am happy to report that I found a vigorous vein of robust humour that I could really relate to. (Among the many English speakers of course. I do not claim speaking Bosnian as one of my talents.)

During our wild ride from Sarajevo to Banja Luka I was suffering major panic attacks. But there was only one thing to do - get over myself. I managed - with a little bit of help from my friends - to get over myself, and to lighten the mood I idly asked my translator - "Of course Bosnia has wonderful hospitals and ambulances etc etc?"

Mirza assured me Bosnia had state of the art medical facilities. With a completely deadpan face.

Next day I was chatting to Almira and mentioned how Mirza had lied in his teeth.

"What makes happy ... we will tell!" she riposted.

I know for a fact Mirza was making me happy because just before I left Bosnia on the bus I saw the oldest dirtiest ambulance in the world parked by the side of the road with two cheerful paramedics wearing ancient, shrunken uniforms. They were taking the air, smiling like the fortunate of the world, with a stunning rushing river just behind them and beyond that a hill covered with aboriginal bush.

Then we crossed the border into Croatia and instantly a four lane highway and a state of the art ambulance flashing some unfortunate past us and framed in the window a smartly dressed young woman on a mobile phone.

I think Bosnians must also be very very kind people as a rule - because when I had to stop the van because I couldn't endure it any longer - one of the passengers got out and embraced me so tenderly. Lacking language to help me in any other way.

Asim Ferhatovic Hase Stadium

by neodue

Koševo is stadium owned by city of Sarajevo. The stadium is located in the Sarajevo neighbourhood of Koševo and it is used mostly by F.C. Sarajevo.

The stadium was opened in the year 1952. In 1984, it was reconstructed for the 1984 Winter Olympics, and is therefore often called Olimpijski Stadion (Olympic Stadium). Now, it is officially called "Asim Ferhatoviæ - Hase", after Asim Ferhatoviæ, the legendary FK Sarajevo player who retired in 1967.

Today, Koševo can seat 37,500 and is situated at the address Betanja Ulica, 71000 Sarajevo. It's also the home stadium of the national side of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Cemetaries II

by mtncorg

Mosque's have their own small cemetaries where associated people of piety are buried. Many, sadly, date from the early '90's as a result of the inhumanities foistered upon the city's inhabitants. These are best visited as you wander the many small alleys and backways of the city. Ponder them in silence, respect what was and could have been.

Comments