Nevjestina 5, Sarajevo, 71000, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Hostelworld.com HostelBookers.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Fantastic view of city

I had a really great stay at the Saraj in August 2007. My room faced the city and had a huge balcony with table and chairs. The room was really nice and in good condition; it was apparently a smoking room but I couldn't smell any smoke in the room from previous guests.

The corridors were quite dark and on different levels. Apparently if your room is on the other side of the corridor, your window faces the rock!! I suppose it depends when you visit, but I went in August and it was really quiet- I hardly saw anyone else at breakfast on both mornings.

The staff on reception all spoke perfect English and were very helpful.

Directions: Centrally located

• craic's Profile Photo

On the top of a hill

This is a very comfortable hotel, perhaps just a little shabby, but the staff are so nice!!! Exceedingly helpful and polite and most of them speak English, or at least they try.
    My stay was paid for so I really don't know how much it costs - but I suspect middle range.
    Swimming pool, sauna, gym, beauty salon etc on the top floor. I went up and had a massage on my last day, which was excellent, and reasonably priced.
    The laundry service was a little expensive - but then it always is - and they replaced a pair of my black knickers with the most enormous! pair of black swimming trunks I have ever seen. The next day at breakfast I glanced around the dining room, wondering which of the enormous Turkish men was missing his swimmers.
    I tried to convey to the laundress that these were not mine. She had no English. So I made a flourish and held them up against me. Laugh! She laughed and laughed and laughed! Whisked them away from me and swept out of the room, laughing all the way.
    But I never got my knickers back.
    En suite, of course, satellite tv - muezzin call at dawn just outside - most exotic - no tea or coffee making facilities, but that doesn't seem to happen very often in Europe. Comfy bed, made up in a very odd way, I almost thought someone had apple pied my bed - clean room. Mini bar. Don't know about room service. Internet available in a room off the lobby.
    Top of the hill above the old town. Nice view. And possible to walk down the hill, but oh dear I think you would want a taxi up the hill after most outings. Luckily taxis seem to be reasonably priced.
    The breakfast was lavish - especially after Italian breakfasts - I liked the salted white cheese most. AND because this is Bosnia you can smoke in the dining room.
    Anything else? Well, it was extremely pleasant, but just a little bit out of the way. It seemed to cater for people who wanted to take advantage of the pool, gym, beauty therapy thing. Kind of health resort.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo

Grand view over the Bosnian Capital

The hotel offers a close-in location with a grand view down the Miljacka over the city. A short 15 minute walk will take you into the heart of the Bascarsija or you can head higher where even grander views of the city will await. The rooms are normal hotel rooms. The restaurant is fine. Prices are reasonable and somewhat negotiable. There are cheaper places to stay and much more expensive places to stay - ie Holiday Inn. None sit above the Basceni (City swimming pool).

Unique Quality: Stay here for the views and the close-in location.

Directions: Just east of the Bascarsija, off the road to Pale. It sits in a cliff above the swimming pool and the Miljacka.

More about Hotel Saraj

On Average

by toggle about Pansion Mis

Pansion Mis is just before Hotel Saraj looking at the city from the top. It is close to Bascarsi (old city center) athough not in the very hearth of the center. It is a new pension. we payed 25 euros per person per night.

Altough it was a new facility I can not say it was very clean (toilet in our room was dirty so they changed our room) and the owner does not seem to be very interested in the pension and staff.

we only stayed 1 night. infact on the way back from mostar we were planning to stay one more night in this pension but after aour first night we decided to look for another option.

Other places to stay

by sabsi about URLs I found interesting

I investigated the accommodation scene in Sarajevo quite intensely as I found it quite hard to find a nice place to stay at a decent price. As we were travelling on a limited budget we decided to stay in a simple hostel.

I have kept of the interesting URLs for you though because they might help you if you plan a stay in Sarajevo with a slightly bigger wallet. The first two choices were my favourites:

Pension Halvat
Hotel Michele
Holiday Inn Hotel

Hotel SarajHotel Saraj

A night in Sarajevo?

by sabsi

Hello,

we are currently planning a road trip through Slovenia, Croatia and BiH. Our initial idea was to drive from Dubrovnik to Plitvice Lakes on one day with a few hours break in Mostar on the way. Now we talked to a nice guy of the Bosnian tourist board at ITB fair in Berlin. He told us we're crazy to even think about it, it'd take way to long to do this. He suggested we stop in Sarajevo for a night.

Now my questions:
(1) Isn't Sarajevo a detour? Or is the bigger route via Sarajevo the road we would normally take from Dubrovnik to Plitvice NP?
(2) If it is a detour, is there another place somewhere half way we could stop at?
(3) I found three hotels in Sarajevo, could you please tell me which of them you would choose?
They are:

Hotel Saraj (www.hotelsaraj.com) which in the brochure is listed with a great price. Having seen their homepage I doubt that 80KM is really the rate for a double room here.

Braca Mujic (www.bracamujic.com), the location seems to be ok when coming from Mostar but how far is it from Sarajevo old town?

Hotel Sunce (www.hotel-sunce.ba), same question about location.

(4) What is there we shouldn't miss in Sarajevo? As I "collect" skijumping hills: Is the Olympic hill still there? Can you go on top?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sabs

RE: A night in Sarajevo?

by alan1972

Sarajevo is a bit of a detour, but then so is Mostar - the direct route would normally involve sticking closer to the coast. I think there is an argument that if you are detouring to Mostar anyway, it would be a pity not to detour a bit further to Sarajevo given that you will be so close to it. Also the road between Mostar and Sarejevo along the Neretva Valley is very scenic.

I'm not clear where you saw 80 KM for the Saraj - could that have been per person sharing a double, perhaps? Braca Mujic looks to be in the suburb of Ilidza rather than Sarajevo "proper" - probably convenient for driving/parking, but leaving you with a 20-30 minute ride on a crowded tram if you want to get to the centre of the city. I couldn't work out where the Sunce is located, but I get the impression it is also quite far from the centre.

I like Sarajevo a lot and have written a bit about it here:

RE: RE: A night in Sarajevo?

by sabsi

Thanks a lot, Alan, for your reply and especially for the link to your great website. Loved reading it.

I found the rate for Hotel Saraj in the official brochure called "Rates for Accommodation in Sarajevo 2007" but I am sure it must be a typo. Ill write the hotel and ask.

Cheers again. Ill read the rest of your page now.
Sabs