Bijelina Cikma 4, Sarajevo, 71000, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Booking.com eDreams HostelBookers.com

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

Very Friendly Hotel.

We stayed in the Pansion Stari Grad for three nights. We asked the hotel to provide us with airport pick up. This cost 10 Euros. Our driver was there waiting for us when we arrived. He was extremely pleasant, helpful, spoke excellent English and gave us lots of useful information about the town.

The pansion is in an excellent location - very close to the Bascarsija area. There is a Konsume supermarket nearby. There are lots of restaurants, shops and sights within walking distance. The pansion is also very close to a tram stop. Tram 3 goes to Ilid┼ża, tram 1 to the train and bus station.

All the staff at the pansion spoke good English and German. Everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. The pansion was spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated. Our room was very comfortable.

Breakfast was provided each day. It included tea or coffee, juice, rolls, cold meat, cheese, cereal. You can either eat next to the buffet area or in the courtyard.

The pansion was mainly quiet except on one night when other guests were noisy. The pansion is located on a side street so does not have traffic noise.

There is no fridge, safe or coffee making facilities in the room. The beds are comfortable. There was plenty of hot water in the shower.

I would strongly recommend this pansion for its lovely staff and perfect location and would happily stay here again.

More about Sarajevo

shop overloadedshop overloaded

Olympic mascot VuckoOlympic mascot Vucko

Showing war damage.Showing war damage.

Ilidza: On a carriageIlidza: On a carriage

Looking for a guide / translator in Sarajevo end of July

by frederikduerinck

Hi, I am a visual artist from the Netherlands and will be traveling to Belgrado, Serbia and Sarajevo, Bosnia end of July for a week to film for an art project. I am planning to make portraits of people close to their home and ask them what HOME means to them. The film will contain 100 portraits of people from all over the world. The film will be shown at a famous museum of contemporary arts in the Netherlands. Who would like to accompany me and my cameraman during those days. I am looking for someone who speaks both Serbian / English or Bosnian/Croation and English And preferably who knows some interesting people to film.
We like to film all different kinds of people, rich, poor, ugly, beautiful, plain, eccentric you name it, people who have an interesting story to tell about their home at different locations.
Who can help me? Regards Frederik

Re: Looking for a guide / translator in Sarajevo end of July

by kathpollard

Hi there. I'm English and don't speak Serbo Croat, but I will be in Bosnia (Maglaj, Mostar, and Sarajevo) between 29th July and 5th August. I know lots of local people in Maglaj, and will be there until 31st July. Let me know if you are interested in meeting them,

Kath

Travel Tips for Sarajevo

Local Foods

by xeberus

Bosnian cuisine is largely influenced by Turkish, Austrian, and local traditions. I recommend finding a restaurant in the old Bascarsija area of the city. Grilled meats are the thing to eat, especially cevapi (pronounced with a "ch") or the smaller version, cevapcici (with three "ch" sounds!), which are usually a mix of meats (lamb, veal, pork), onion, garlic and seasoning. In Bosnia it is usually served with somun, the local version of pita bread. Burek, a meat pie made with filo dough, is also a local must for omnivors. If you, like me, are not a meat eater, options sadly shrink, but don't lose hope! If you eat fish, grilled trout aboud, but be prepared to deal with scales, tail, and eyes. They come whole. But there is also spanakopita and other kinds of "pita" (pita in local lexicon means a dish made of layered anything and filo). There are also some good salads and there is always pizza. For dessert local baklava is always a good option, washed down with Turkish coffee. Sitting in a Bascarsija cafe sipping wine while watching the people go by while listening to the church bells and the Muslim calls to prayer. It's another world!

Miljatska River, Sarajevo, 1986

by karenincalifornia

The Miljatska River winds through the center of Sarajevo. The heir to the Austro-Hungarian empire, Archduke Franz Ferdinand, was assassinated by Gavrilo Princip in 1914 just after the Archduke and his retinue crossed the bridge in this picture. The assassination was one of the events that led to the start of World War I.

Getting along with the locals

by craic

Because I am not a well travelled person I was a little nervous about what might be expected of me, as a woman, in a partly Muslim community. Would I have to cover up, would I be allowed to drink wine, would men be dismissive and scornful of me? (Yeah, I know it sounds stupid but I have lived quite a white bread life.)
Delighted to report that young Muslim men and women in Sarajevo dress pretty much as they please, drink and smoke if they want to, are in fact up to all the sorts of things that young people get up to almost anywhere in the world. But although they party they don't party hard! Good manners and tolerance and moderation seem the order of the day. I was invited back for a nightcap to a student flat - Nick Cave and Blackcurrent vodka - and the only cultural hiccup was that although it was a student flat in every sense of the word, I had to take off my shoes at the door.
I myself was most impressed with how I was treated by the local men. With great respect and interest. I was listened to, shown complete courtesy, and there was that wonderful tinge of admiration for all things female. I really liked that. (The only problems I encountered was from a couple of men from Another Country.) There was no staring or wolf whistling at women in the street. Very relaxing.
And there was hardly any veiling. Just a few young women wearing a hijab. Very few. Fewer than in Sydney, actually, as a percentage of the population. I was told that they were probably tourists. It is not the fashion to veil in Sarajevo. "We are European Muslims," I was told.

Did find it a bit odd to see graveyards without crosses on the graves. Another cultural hiccup for me. Again, I was told, that really and truly a grave should have no marker, but there was no real harm in it.

Sidetrip to Ilidza

by HORSCHECK

We went on a sidetrip from Sarajevo to Ilidza by tram. The lovely spa town, which is nowadays even Sarajevo's main suburb is situated about 10 km south west of the city centre. The trip by tram #3 or #4 takes about 30 minutes.

The best time to come is probably at weekends as then the 3,5 km long tree lined avenue Velika Aleja, which is one of the main sights here, is served by carriages.

Nevertheless we walked from the tram stop in Ilidza along several buildings from Austro Hungarian times and then along the Velika Aleja to Vrelo Bosne (source of the Bosna river) at the foot of the Mount Igman.

Here we felt like we deserved a longer break in the green park area and therefore had dinner in the restaurant Labud. Please read my restaurant tips for more details about this.

On the return way to the tram stop we decided to take a carriage. We negotiated a price of 15 KM for the about 3,5 km long trip.

Let's drive to Vrelo Bosne! (page four)

by tomatourist

Okay, we're here! This is Vrelo Bosne: the source spring of the River Bosna. There is a big natural park here with plenty of trails that you can go for a stroll on. If you get hungry, there are a few small restaurants here too. If you want to buy some pirated CD's or cassettes, there will be people here selling these too.

Okay, so that FINALLY concludes our tour. I hope you had fun! See you again . . . "Ko se u Sarajevu vode napije--nikad Sarajevo ne zaboravi" . . . you drank the water, remember!

Comments