Sartour Accommodation Hostel

#27 of 80 hotels in Sarajevo
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 3 reviews

Budget Travel Backpacking Historical Travel
catherineneill's Profile Photo

Well, what can i say about Sartour hostel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 3, 2007

Well was interesting .Beautiful hostel with balcony rooms overlooking a fantastic view - when the call to prayer goes off its soo eerie. You can see the main mosque from the balcony. Prices were reasonable but on the wall there were signs saying if you wanted to use laundry or have breakfast it would be 10euros each! So we stayed away from that. Free pickup from the train station. It is a brand-new refurbished hostel and the man who runs it knows his stuff, he has been trained and was obviously itching to show us his new knowledge!! Some of his choice quotes included
"Here is 2 pfennings. I OWN you"
"This is your room, there are two single beds. You can push them together if you want, i know you are both girls, but some of them like to do that"
holding my ipod at arms length "i dont know if i can charge this for you on the computer, it may explode or give to me virus"

He talked for a good 45 minutes about this and that, we were edging out the door at one stage until he called us back to show us the light switch!
All in all, for the view and the balcony it is worth it is you can put up with the chat! Also, its up quite a big hill past the ottoman graveyard, so not suitable for everyone.

Beautiful view and nice room!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 30, 2005

Sartour calls itself a hostel, but it was really like a cute hotel with a shared bathroom. Our room was private, clean, and stylish. You can tell they take pride in the place.

We also had access to an incredible balcony with a view of the city, where you could hear the call to prayer from at least five minarets throughout the city. The hostel and the neighborhood were very quaint, surrounded by the homes of real Sarajevans.

The address they give online is NOT the address of the hostel, for whatever reason, but the hostel is only ten to fifteen minutes' walk up hill from old Sarajevo. This was perfect for a couple of active twenty-somethings, but I'm not sure if someone with a little extra weight on would enjoy this location.

The staff, a father and two brothers, were friendly enough. I've read about some bad experiences, but I think if you treat these guys with respect, they'll treat you similarly. My impression is that they want to provide you a room, but not necessarily a free history lesson unless they like you. Best not to press your luck. They, like every Bosnian I talked to, love the U.S. because we helped them fight the Serbs in the 1990s.

Two warnings. First, pay attention to what the place looks like when you leave. It looks cute, just like every other home on all the other streets up the hill, and there isn't a big obvious sign. We spent half an hour lost and looking for it. Second, if you'll arrive early in the morning, as we did, be sure to call or e-mail ahead of time to arrange for them to pick you up. The train station's pay phones only took phone cards (not change), so we ended up having to take a cab, which wound up overcharging us badly.

Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Sartour Hostel

by written on January 7, 2005

Sarajevo is a little short on youth hostels, but the problem is rectified by the abundance of private room rentals. The Sartour Hostel has been around for awhile and receives increasingly mixed reviews. The biggest complaint it has received is that the owners are indredibly hostile to the visitors and that they felt as if their privacy was violated on more than one occasion. Probably the most disturbing complaint I have read about is how the women who have stayed there have felt as if there were quite a few "peeping Toms" during their stay. I would seriously do some more research before I decided to stay there. Try the link below to read more reviews from some avid travelers.

Directions: The hostel is apparently located approximately 300 meters from the actual office, up a very steep hill. tram: 1, 2, 3, 5

1 Photo of Sartour Accommodation Hostel

Sarajevo Travel Forum

Need advice about Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina? Visit the Travel Forum for Sarajevo and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Sarajevo hotel reviews