California

johngayton's Profile Photo

Another Bourgas Mini-bar Tale

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 5, 2010

In my experience you usually get what you pay for with hotels, especially city centre ones. Here at Burgas's California Hotel I got what I'd quite happily have paid three times as much for in any other European city.

This self-styled "Boutique Hotel" does what it says on the label - it's smart, arty, individual but at the same time welcoming, friendly and down-to-earth.

Finding the place was simplicity itself - there's a well-lit signpost on the main road which leads direct to the front door (which was especially useful on a dark, snowy January evening when I was spending as much of my time avoiding the icy patches on the pavement as I was in looking where I was going).

Reception was a cheery "Dobar Vecher" and the formalities completed within minutes. It was about 9.00 pm and as I received my key the guy on reception informed me that the restaurant would be open for a while if I wanted to eat there. Good Sale! At 9 pm, having been travelling all day, (including getting stuck at Karnobat railway station for three hours due to the snow) I was definitely disinclined to further practice my blade-free ice-skating pirouettes by going elsewhere.

Room was a dream. I'd booked a cheap single but had been upgraded to a double + one, with balcony, and despite the lights and heating being on one of those put your key-card in the slot affairs one of the staff had had the forethought to slip a "Happy Bar and Grill" business card in it and so ensured that my room was well-heated. Appreciated, but the first thing I had to do was open the balcony door to get some cool air in!

The room itself was designer-chic - functional, uncluttered but with a homely feel (I especially liked the big cherry tomatoes as my headboard). The work surface just needed the TV nudged a little out of the way to be ideal. Bed felt comfortable, the Wi-Fi worked perfectly, the bathroom was gleamiongly spotless with its bidet giving it a touch of the Continentals, so-to-speak. Best of all though was the advertised mini-bar - It had BOOZE in it!!

Yep, I now had everything I could want from a hotel room.

Unique Quality: Pretty much everything about this hotel was unique. OK being on a quiet side street the views weren't anything special - but the peace and tranquility more than made up for that. There's no gym or swimming pool - they do have a sauna for individual guest use tho'. There's free car parking in a basement lot - no good to me as I was on foot but definitely a plus for those who do arrive by car. The restaurant was exceptional - good eclectic menu, stylishly-presented food and decor, superbly professional, yet friendly, service and a nice comfortable atmosphere. More on the restaurant to follow on my Bourgas Restaurant Tips.

This was pretty much a perfect hotel for my trip - all the basics were covered and all with a little added flair here and there.

Best of all were the staff - When I needed some bus times checked - no problem. My laundry needed done - no problem. Always a cheery greeting on my comings and goings and I fell in love with my restaurant waitress - every man will so don't bring your wife LOL.

Directions: On a side street just off the main Hristo Botev Blvd - you'll see a sign on the left just after the Ivan Bazov school. Its about a ten minute walk from the railway station.

5 Photos of California

View Professional Photos

Burgas Travel Forum

Need advice about Burgas, Bulgaria? Visit the Travel Forum for Burgas and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Burgas hotel reviews