Aphrodite Beach Hotel

Booking.com Priceline.com eDreams

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 57% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Sunny Beach

Sunny Beach from Nesebar.Sunny Beach from Nesebar.

The Panorama streetThe Panorama street

Travel Tips for Sunny Beach

Sunny Beach

by frozensausage

"Arrival"

I suppose when most people go to Bulgaria the first place they're likely to visit is the Black Sea Coast.

It happend the other way about for me, and last summer was my first visit to the coast.

At the moment there's not a huge selection of airlines flying to the coast from the UK.

I live in Manchester, and no budget airlines fly to anywhere in BG from Manchester - this is hopefully something which will change with time now that BG is within the UK.

I chose to fly with Wizz Air to Bourgas from Luton - which involved a lengthy drive south from Manchester. Instead of opting for expensive airport parking, we contacted Luton Borough Council and bought a car permit for two weeks within Luton town centre, then caught the train directly to the airport - this saved us around £50 on parking.

There will no doubt be charter flights to be had in the summer which may be cheaper than a scheduled airline - in fact, it may even work out cheaper to pay for a cheap and cheerful package holiday as opposed to sorting out things for yourself - it could be cheaper, you never know.

"The Resort, Food, & Vodka"

Sunny Beach itself is what it says on the tin.
The resort is massive, and there are hundereds of bars and restaurants all vying for your attention which line the resort.

The resort centres around the Kuban Hotel which is the tallest building in SB, so wherever you are you tend to be able to find your way back if you look for the Kuban.

Around the Kuban is where most of the bars are located, some of them better than others, and - it has to be said - some much more expensive than others.

Even if you're not planning on having a meal, The Condor is the place I liked the most - there is a restuarant with indoor and outdoor seats, a garden, and an adjoining bar.

It's located on the main boulevard, opposite the Kuban Hotel and past the post office.

In the restauant, a meal for two, with a bottle of local wine and a few vodkas and coke won't cost much more than Л30 or £10.

In the bar next door, spirits of the local variety (Flirt is my personal favourite) are very well priced indeed.
Spirits in BG are served by the gram - so "Petdeset Grama" (50g) is the equivalent of a British double - although I don't advise ordering doubles, which in fact are "Sto Grama" and the equivalent of a UK quadruple.

I visited The Condor every night I was in SB, and the atmosphere, the service, the price and location could not be beaten.

Imagine my astonishment when we staggered from The Condor to a bar which was pumping out some dance music - I couldn't name the place for love nor money, but it was located on Kuban Alley, which is the street leading from the main boulevard to the beach, on which the Kuban's located.

The bar itself was really cool with leopardskin seating, pretty barmaids, and it was packed - but the place was a shock to the system after The Condor.

We ordered two vodkas and coke, and to our astonishment were charged Л28 for the pleasure, which is pretty much on a par with London prices.

Needless to say it was a case of "Let's go back to The Condor".

"Clubbing - Straight & Gay"

The surrounding bars were also fairly pricey, and when we went into the club itself (which is on the ground floor of a club complex with a strip club above - on going in you're asked if you're interested in seeing naked women - if you say "No", you'll be directed into Adonis.

I was interested to see what a gay club was like in SB, and this was an experience in itself.

There was a large bed in the club next to the DJ box, although I have no idea what went on in it, and certainly nothing went on in it while I was in there other than a girl sitting down while her friend went to the toilet, so there was no seedy element - or not one which I saw anyway.

The club was patronised by an eclectic mix of people, and unsurprisingly, quite a few German holidaymakers, and (surprisingly) no English voices to be heard.

When ordering drinks, which cost about Another place which was reassuringly expensive in Sunny Beach was Adonis, the gay club located in the Northern end of the resort.

I was interested to see what a gay club was like in SB, and this one was like nowhere I'd been before.

There was a bed located by the DJ box for some bizarre reason, and the place was fairly quiet with an International selection of customers - presumably at Л8 for a vodka and coke it would be considered overpriced by the locals.

So after paying Л16 for my two vodkas and coke, I patiently waited at the bar for my change - he then came back and apologied that he had no change, and he would give us shooters to the value of our change.

He repeated this process for the rest of the night, so by the time I ordered the last round of drinks I resigned myself to knowing that the cost was Л20 for the two - but with some shooters thrown in.

Adonis, or Next as I believe it may now be called is located next to the Golden Apple Erotic Club, by the Evrika Beach Hotel.

On a straight note, the best club in SB is by far the Lazur - the club is popular with locals and holidaymakers alike.

The music is great, the drinks are cheap, the people are nice, and there's also a waterpark and a hot dog stall all part of the same club.

You wouldn't get that in Barnsley would you?

Comments