Family Hotel Silvestar

SignageSignage

Bus from Veliko Turnovo to Bucharest

by Modra56

Hello,
My wife and I will be in Veliko Turnovo this May (2009). Does anyone know if there is a bus that could take us directly from Veliko Turnovo to Bucharest? If so, is there a schedule posted somewhere?

Thanks,
Matt

by jonellis

There is a train close by that goes every day I am told. It is listed on the website of the Bulgarian Rail system. I believe it is the train that comes from Greece or Turkey. I know it goes from Stara Zagora at about 08:00 toward Bucharest and passes thru Veliko Turnovo or the village next to it on the way to Bucharest at 17:00. I was told there is also a bus, but no one seems to know any schedule. Stara Zagora is South of Veliko Turnovo so it would be later in the morning.

by Animosity123

Couldn't find bus, but there are trains with transfer in Gorna Orjahovica.
Try this German site which provides all trains scheadules in Europe:

by Matthewh29

Thanks for the posts. Both have been helpful. There does seem to be an overnight train to Bucharest that leaves Veliko Tarnovo and Gorna Orjahvitza, which will work nicely. I just picked up a copy of Lonely Planet's "Bulgaria". It states that there are no bus services at all between Bulgaria and Romania at the time of writing because of long delays at the border. Well, the train is it.

Thanks,
Matt

Travel Tips for Veliko Turnovo

Turnovo in night

by mirchica

The city is very interesting in night - lights everywhere , people going round,full cafes and restaurants.Just great atmosphere . yeah...what I missed this time was to go to a club.I remember,9 years ago we were on a trip with my classmates and 2 days we were parting - day and night.

River

by DPando

The river is one of the best spots of Veliko... you can see it wherever you go and cross the city thrice by three bridges ...I found the way to get there side by side the river walking down by popular streets through narrow alleys and i got the river and sewage area...it was lovely lol

General views

by DPando

Its quite easy cross the city to an end to other..just 20 min aproximatelly... this pic is taken from a small square side by side to the main street that show an impressive sight from the town the river at the bottom of the cliff and the main sculpture in town

Preobrazhenski Monastery

by terrycowan

This Preobrazhenski Monastery, or the Monastery of the Transfiguration is located about 6.5 km. out of Veliko Turnovo on the Ruse highway. A small sign points to a road leading up the mountain. Apparently this is the 4th largest monastery in Bulgaria. The location offers an incredible view of the valley below, and of the Monastery of the Holy Trinity on the opposite mountain. The main church has beautiful icons and iconostasis. On the outside of the building is a fresco of the "Wheel of Life," similar to the more well-known one in the Church of the Nativity of Christ in Arbanassi.

if you build it, they will come

by ellielou about Architects Cafe

This was a small, local place, filled with character. When we got there, there was only one other table. Initially, we didn't want to eat here, since the Eagles "Hotel California," was blaring away. ("I did NOT come to Bulgaria to listen to the Eagles!" And, if I may be so frank, the Eagles were a tiny bit better than all the cheesy Euro-electro forced down my ears all the time!)

The service was slow and nice. The food, as most in Bulgaria, was good. The prices, reasonable. What's not to like. The rabbit dish (I can't remember exactly what it was called), which was stewed with onions and other spices, was very good. We also had the 'gondola,' of pork, chicken, and some cheese. Ok, but not as good as my dish.

As became a happy habit in Bulgaria, we started with a delightful (they are always deligtful) shopska salad, which was just about as good as any other we had in Bulgaria.

Comments