21/A, Angel Kanchev str., Sofia, 1000, Bulgaria

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

• The place is okay, the staff is great, the managem

Please don’t stay in this hostel. The place is okay and the staff is great, however I can’t say anything nice about the management and/or the owner (specifically about Francesca). For her customers are nothing but walking wallets that need to be emptied in any possible way.

I’ve been fan of the place (the bar and the garden) until one day I had to find a place for a friend visiting from abroad. On 13th of June 2011 I had reserved a room for a 3 weeks, yet I agreed to pay the whole monthly rate. The reservation period was starting the next day, on the 14th of June. The rate stated in her office for a monthly rent is 280 Euro/month. However, she said that this wasn’t applicable for the room I wanted to and asked for 15 Euros more, to which I didn’t object. Then she asked if I’d be leaving any deposit. I said, “of course” and asked if 50 Euros are okay (which is the rate for two nights for a room). So I paid and left.

The next day I got the news that the Bulgarian consulate had screwed up the visa works of my friend and gave him a visa for a week later than the day he asked for. So, he wouldn’t be able to come on the 14th. By 11.30-12.00 AM on the 14th I was in the hostel, explaining what had happened and canceling the reservation. I asked if I could have the deposit back (or at least part of it). The hostel had no customers at all and in the night that passed since my reservation, no one had asked for that room (I know this from the staff, who, as I said, are really very nice). She first told me how difficult that would be because of some accounting problems but she would consult her accountant. Then, after a while, she forgot about the accounting problem and began telling me about the hostel policy of retaining 30% of the whole amount for the entire period, so in fact the deposit I had left wasn’t even covering half of it, so I shouldn’t be getting any money back. At this point I just left. I wasn’t gonna beg for a few bucks to a woman who had shattered all my good impressions about the place.

Funny, my friend is coming any how, albeit a week later, and this time not for 3 weeks but for 3 months and guess what? He’s not gonna stay in ART Hostel. So, instead of trying to keep her clients happy and seek long term returns, for those pity 50 Euros, she lost at least 850 Euros.

So, please, do not support people like her with your money. There are other nice places in town, with a better management, run by people who are not after such pity and meager and embarrassing short-term gains. I believe that if we want a better world, we should support those whom we’d like to see around us. Thanks.

• mavl's Profile Photo

COOL PLACE TO STAY AT A DECENT PRICE

i had fun staying at the art hostel, the staff is made up of very cool young people and the guests were all fun-loving and intelligent at the same time. it was actually fun just hanging around the hostel and chatting with the other guests - usually this happened in the garden at the back or at the basement.

Unique Quality: it was simply a fun place to stay. it was fun to exchange ideas about art, philosophy, politics, anything under the sun with the people there. i asked one guy how long he'd been staying there and he said that, originally, he planned 3 days - 3 weeks had gone by already and he was still there!

check out the travelogues about the art hostel on my sofia page.

• desert_princess's Profile Photo

Make sure you book your bed in advance - there are only 14 beds available
    Check out aswell if you want to rent an appartment in the center - 35/40 up to 80 euro

Unique Quality: Hosts various art exhibitions from bulgarian artists in the Hostel Gallery
    performances , Dj Register , chill out,cheap accomodation - starting from 7 euro / night , bulgarian breakfast, tea&coffee on the terrace ,nearby internet, loundry , luggage and safe box , bike on hire , CD shop , information for travelers , tips & trips

Directions: In the pure center betweem Rakovski street and Vitosha Blvd

• eisme's Profile Photo

a cozy one

we arrived at 4:00 in the morning and Nikolai let us stay in beds for free. It's a bit cramped (more beds per room than they said there would be), especially for the season, I suppose, but if you're looking for a hostel then you can expect this. The overcrowding is more than made up for by the great atmosphere and super helpful staff. had a nice chat with nikolai at odd hours about why he doesn't appreciate art anymore and prefers a career in politics.

Unique Quality: they say they spend their time in the garden, and this is true--everyone hangs out in the back, and if it gets cold, down to the basement with the Sofians to hang out and play with the dog. i was eyeing the cheese pastries for breakfast, but missed my chance, so i couldn't tell you if they are tasty or not.
    everything looks crafty and cozy--much better than the sterile hostels (or hostiles, maybe?) i've stayed at in the past.

Directions: center