Mhr Residence Oborishte

63 Oborishte Street, Sofia, 1504, Bulgaria
Sofia Residence
Hotels.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

More about Sofia

Market near St sofia and Alexander Nevsky ChurchMarket near St sofia and Alexander Nevsky Church

Ladies Who LunchLadies Who Lunch

Tram in SofiaTram in Sofia

annexeannexe

From Istanbul

Hey,

I shall be coming down to Sofia from Istanbul and am guessing taking a train is the safest and most economical option (correct me if I'm wrong). Have a few queries though. I'd like to explore what the "real" Bulgaria is, and am wondering if visiting Sofia would be the best option since its the most susceptible to 'westernisation' - I hope you get what I mean. Lemme know if I am looking too much into it. Since I would be staying there for a couple of days, what would be the best accomodation options? Places to visit? ANy hikes?

From Sofia, I shall be travelling on to Romania, so if possible could someone guide me on the best way to plan this trip? I read a few posts about people going to Macedonia too - should I come directly to Sofia or enroute Macedonia?

What about getting around in the city itself ? Language going to be a problem?

Any help would be really appreciated :)

Cheers.

by GyuriFT

Reading your other posts: train is indeed a good option. But neither Sofia nor Bucharest not even Beograd are the best places to explore.

Consider:

Veliko T'rnovo, Plovdiv for Bulgaria
Suceava (painted monasteries), Transylvania (large area!) for Romania
Rashka, Morava monastery district in Serbia
Kotor for Montenegro
Dubrovnik, Split (in general: Dalmacia and Plitvice) for Croatia
Ohrid for Macedonia

by mirchica

I can also suggest you Plovdiv and Veliko Tarnovo.Sofia is nice too.It depends on you time.You'll need at least one day in each.and the train is god option-all these cities are connected to Istanbul or Bukurest

For the alphabet , it'll be very easy for you if you have the cyrilic alphabet, although many peolpe know English

by ger4444

There is a good train connection between Sofia and Istanbul. You can taake the nighttrain. For a good bulagria experience the capital is a goodchoice, combined with a daytrip to the Rila monastery, the you have seen a Bulgarian highlight. The Aleksander Neski Church, StNikolai Russian Church and Banya Basha Mosque are inetersting religious buildings in Sofia, the presidents buidling, lions bridge, and the theater.

by apparition

Hey Gyuri (once again :P)

Become my trip planner !! :P

Whoa .. and are all these places in all the countries easily accessible through train ? Do I need to make prior reservations for acco and stuff or is everything readily available once I get there ? :)

Cheers mayte !

Hey Mirchica,

Hmm, well then I guess I'll spend at least 2 days in Bulgaria :) But are Plovdiv and Veliko accessible by a direct train from Istanbul or do I have to take a detour from Sofia? In which case I'll hafta explore Sofia and take a pick from the other two.

Err.. English is all I have, and a lil bit of German and French .. and am guessing that won't come in handy too much ;)

Do lemme know in case you got anymore suggestions :)

Hey Ger,

Thanks for the train info dude :) Great at least the itinerary of what all to do when in Sofia is planned :P

Keep me posted in case of any more help you can give :)

Cheers.

Travel Tips for Sofia

the police

by say-no-more

we were going back to our hotel and we saw this old police car parked on the side. we thought it was a good idea to jump on the car and take a picture with it. but it wasn't. the policemen were standing a few meters away and didn't really like what we were doing. but they saw that we were only trying to take a picture so they let us. we got off pretty good, considering it was 5.30 am, and we were - well, you can imagine in which condition...:)
i thought it was a very funny situation, as you can see on the picture...:)

Introductions, Reference & Business Cards

by Scarlie

Introductions: Altho' we tend to be very friendly people, introduce yourself w/ both first and last names. If it is a business meeting, you can use only last name (but not only first). Shake hands with both men and women, and make sure you apply moderate pressure and don't shake much. Using both hands (to clasp the other person's hand) is a sign of extremely good faith and thanks, but generally is not used in introductions or first meetings.

Always use polite form of reference (in English, it's always "you", in French use "vous") and call your conversants "Mr" and "Mrs", until you are prompted otherwise. "Miss" is allowed but be careful not to be interpreted as flirting. Your host will do the same (use polite form, not flirt!) Generally, using singular (i.e. "tu") is a mark of bad form unless you know the person well. We do NOT use polite form with first names (i.e. Mr Ivan, Mrs Maria) like in some other Eastern European countries, unless you are prompted by your host to do so (very rarely).

Business cards: I'm afraid we are a bit formalistic when it comes to cards. If you have a business card, you are looked upon more seriously. The downside is that not everyone with a business card is a real business person, so beware! Cards are given and accepted in the manner of most Western societies (i.e. no two hands, folded corners, and bowing like in the Far East). You can scribble things on the back of the card if needed. Bulgarians are economical folk, so you can see corrections of phone numbers and addresses made by hand (why should you order new cards, if you can correct the old?) This is a perfectly acceptable practice, but make sure you can read the scribbles.

Ice Skating

by ChristinaNest

This winter, for the first time, Sofia has open-air ice-skating rinks. One is right in front of the National Theatre, one is behind NDK, and one at Orlov Most (Eagle's Bridge).
They will operate till March, and are open 11-22 hrs. They have set sessions of 1.5 hrs, entrance is 3 lv (1.5 euro) and rental skates are 3 lv.
Photos are of the rink in front of the Theatre, where I skated for the first time in my life, on the last day of 2006!

Iliantzi market (iliantzi)

by Izvor

I am writing this tip thanks to a helpful VT member - Beograd. In his comment he mentioned about Iliantzi, which is a place I should have defenately mentioned on my page. However as most local people I simply didn;t see the obvoious!

So Iliantzi Market is an open market located near Nadezhda in the neigbourhood called Iliantzi. The best way to get there is taking a taxi. The most important thing to remember is to keep your purse safe.

At this HUGE market you can purchase ANY kind of goods at much lower prices than anywhere else in the city.

I'll definately go down to the market as soon as I have time and take some pictures for you so you can get an idea what it is all about

Buddha Bar

by hekate about buddha bar

If you expect to see a top class nightclub you can get a little disappointed. The place is more or less OK but nothing special.

When I was there last Saturday with my friend Elitsa and another friend of mine we had good time. The place was full but not packed. I went there onWednesday evening as well, around midnight and it was almost empty. So, I guess, if you go there and look for crowds you should go there during the weekend.

What I found strange is that there is almost no place to dance but the music was loud.

One thing that really annoyed me is that the waitresses are slow and not very polite.

Working hours:
00:00 - 24:00 h
But if it is 2.00 in the morning and it is only you and the people on your table they stop the music and make it pretty clear that they want you out of there :))) No special requirements.

Comments