Smart Apartment

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Sofia

Office tower #2Office tower #2

Wine cask designed as a private dining boxWine cask designed as a private dining box

Part of the Soviet Army MonumentPart of the Soviet Army Monument

Saints Cyril and Methodius National LibrarySaints Cyril and Methodius National Library

Sofia to Skopje

by Marga85

Hey,

I saw in the rail timetables there is a train going from Sofia to Skopje? Is this actually running? And what about the busses at what time are they leaving?

Thanx!

by IndianPacific

There is no railway from Bulgaria to FYROM. In that case it must be running via Nis in Serbia.

by IndianPacific

Actuially, I just found out there is a through railway car from Sofiya to Skopje, but as I wrote, it goes via Nis. It leaves Sofiya at 20.40 (8.40 p.m.) and arrives Skopje at 7.06 (a.m.). Reservation is compulsory.

by Durfun

For some reason most people go by coach. Trains are preferred for travelling within the Bulgaria itself, eg Sofia to Plovdiv, Burgas, Varna, etc.

Journey time is roughly 8 hours. They stop you at the border to check luggage and documents!!

Leaves from the lovely huge bus station. The last coach out departs at 1530 hours.

But there are at least 4 coaches per day.

by paulhanson

"Journey time is roughly 8 hours"

It's less than that, more like five hours (including about an hour to cross the border):

by Vihren

Just take the coach, you don't need the train, there is only one train daily, it crosses two more borders, takes twice as much time and actually costs more. Buses are convenient and there are several of them daily. Travel time around 5 hours. At each border it takes 10 minutes, no queues, no one actually checks your luggage, just your documents. And there is a bus at midnight, I found that one especially useful, you arrive in Skopje pretty early.

by Durfun

Of course the time is shorter; however I was thoroughly searched as I'd forgotten my small bag on the coach & so by returning to fetch it I aroused their suspicions!!

They were extremely thorough! And then the guys across the border did the same as they caught drift that I was 'tainted' :-(

This experience added hours to my trip. Plus, I'd annoyed them by attempting to take photos of the border! It does not go down well - so don't try that!

by IndianPacific

Two more borders, Vihren? The Bulgarian-Serbian and the Serbian-FYROM instead of just the Bulgarian-FYROM doesn't make more than one extra border, does it? Or have I missed a border?

by Vihren

What I meant was that for me it is two more borders, because when you go out of the country you get checked by border guards , so you cross one border out and when you go into the other you get checked again and you cross the border of the other country. That means for one international border there are two border crossings, and for 2 borders - 4, with two more than when you have only one international border. Sorry I used the wrong notation though, calling them borders for short instead of border crossings. And sorry if my explanation sounds funny:)

by IndianPacific

No, no, the explanation wasn't funny, see what you mean.

Travel Tips for Sofia

Eating out in Sofia

by anna-m

The thing that amazed me most on all my visits to Sofia was how cheap and good the food was! For example, a lunch for two in a not-too-posh yet not-too-shabby restaurant cost less than 10$! And it is LARGE portions I am talking about here! :)
As a friend of mine said: "I like going to Sofia. Makes me feel rich"

Demonstrations in the centre of town

by mikey_e

The demonstration that took place when I was in Sofia was by forest workers and wasn't at all violent, but it was large. The demonstrators started from in front of Alexander Nevsky Cathedral and I saw them again congregated in front of the National Council. The march was festive in a way, but you would be advised to keep a good distance from police, who are never all that friendly in Bulgaria. The police were in formation with truncheons, which makes me suspect that protests can be violent. It is best to use your common sense, maintain a good distance and, if things get rowdy, avoid the area.

Zagovezni (Easter Fast; March)

by Scarlie

Zagovezni is a two-fold event marking the beginning of the Easter Fast. Mesni zagovezni (Meat fast) is 8 weeks before Easter, and Sirni Zagovezni (Dairy fast) a week later (7 weeks). From these respective Sundays, no meat and dairy products are allowed on the menu until Easter Sunday. I believe fish is allowed, tho.

Religious aspects aside, this is a very good way to clean your body from the food & esp. fats consumed during the winter months.

On Mesni Zagovezni, we also ask forgiveness from those closest to us -- husband/wife, parents, in-laws, kumove (the best man and his wife). The request is 'Forgive me, mother/father/etc." and the answer is "It's forgiven; may the Lord forgive".

My favourite part as a kid was the ritual of 'hamkane' on Sirni Zagovezni. A piece of white halva (very hard boiled sweet with peanuts, see pic) was hung on a long threat from the ceiling. We'd all sit down in a circle, the halva would be spun around, and we'd try to bite pieces of it (no hands and standing up allowed). You had to be very skilled not to knock your teeth out or break your nose (and that happened every so often), but it's GREAT fun & we all looked forward to it.

City center is not all!

by Izvor

Most tourists see the best of the places they visit... But "the best" is almost never "all". I will use the "Off The Beaten Path Tips" to show you the part of Sofia, which tourists rarely get to see...

Backstage - live music

by hekate about Backstage

Backstage has been there for about five years now. Every night there is a band playing live music.

There are two halls. The one where the bar is and where the musicians perform and one other where you will find 1 pool table.

The menu is quite short and is written only in Bulgarian. It is drinks only + nuts and chewing gums :) The prices are reasonable.

What surprised me when I went there last night (Thursday) that there were not ore than 30 people in the whole place. Usually when I go there the place is packed with people. But I usually go during the weekend, so I guess, if you want to see the place full of peole you should go there during weekends :)

Entrance fee
3 leva (EUR 1.50) per person. Whatever you feel comfortable wearing :)

Comments