Smokin' Pig Hostel Sofia

CemeteryCemetery

SignageSignage

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral atnightAlexander Nevsky Cathedral atnight

Inside Restaurant KohinoorInside Restaurant Kohinoor

bus Sofia to Thessaloniki (Solun)

by serenagrimaldi

Could any one please tell me any details of busses from Sofia to Thessaloniki in Greece. I have to get to Thess 17th Dec, and want to avoid the train station if poss, as I had an unfortunate experience there last January, and for the same reason can you tell me if there is an ATM in or near the bus station, Thankyou for your time and Trouble.

Re: bus Sofia to Thessaloniki (Solun)

by kopvas

Re: bus Sofia to Thessaloniki (Solun)

by Jesperp

Hi!
Find Str. Belogradchik (where the Central Bus Station lies in Sofia) at the website http://www.bgmaps.com/home.asp?sid=80229541f3e9cac072eb19cfbe5c8fdb&lang=en

At the above website you can find the ATMs in the menu "Show nearest".

Regards Jesper

Travel Tips for Sofia

exchanging money at the airport

by desert_princess

arrange a price in euros with the taxi driver , some accept such deals, I wouldn't advise you to change money at the airport, they have a very unprofitable rate. In worst case , change a small amount , good to pay the taxi. There is a 24h change bureau at the "Popa". You can ask the driver to take you there so you can change money on the way. it's in the center ,all roads lead to "Popa".. hahahaha
Enjoy my hometown

tree ribbons

by Flamegirl

This custom was completely new to me. Apparently around springtime people tie these ribbons (which look like friendship bracelets) to a tree when they see a stork (or whichever bird is fabled to deliver children in Bulgaria). Perhaps they then make a wish. I'd welcome any clearer explanations from people who know better than me!

Stefanovden (St Steven) 27 December

by Scarlie

This is the third and last day of the Xmas Festivities. It is the last fest in the traditional Christian calendar and is believed to complete the Old Year.

St Steven was the first Christian martyr and archbichop of Jerusalem. He was wrongly accused and stoned to death.

Notwithstanding religious beliefs, Stefanovden is celebrated as the name day of Stefan, Stefana, Stefka, Stamen, Stoimen, Stanimir, Stanimira, Stoil, Stoilka, Stoyo, Stojka, Stanka, Stanko, Stojan, Stojanka, Tanyo, Tanya, Zapryan, Tsanka, Tsonko, Ventsislav, Ventislava.

One of the traditional rituals in Northern, Central, Southeast and parts of Western Bulgaria is the "Laduvane" or "foretelling of marriage", performed by young girls. The night before, the girls leave their rings or flower bouquets in a freshly drawn well water. The morning on Stefanovden, a young girl dressed as a bride takes one by one the rings/bouquets and spells the time of marriage or the characteristics of the groom. "Ripe quince and overripe" (the girls will marry late), "Lonely stem on a stone" (the groom will be an orphan), "Yellow veil gathers splinters" (the girl will elope). The girl will marry whoever she's dreaming of that night.

Nadezhda Neighbourhood

by Izvor

Nadezhda (which means "hope") is the neighborhood where I live.
The center of Sofia is small and nice, but the bigger part of Sofia are the different neighborhoods like the one you see on the picture... there are very many of them and I will put pictures of each of them later on.
Now about Nadezhda... it is situated in the north part of Sofia. When I was born the building where my parent's apartment was has been at the very end of Sofia.... now from our windows we can see the biggest neighborhood in Sofia - Ljulin. No matter the common socialistic architecture (cheep and easy to build ugly buildings) Each neighborhood has it's own spirit and atmosphere. For example Nadezhda consists mainly of small (4 to 6 floors) buildings separated by nice parks or gardens and many playgrounds. Ljulin is all huge buildings and concrete...

love song. By Vaptsarov

by kalenderov

Like a concrete slab above us
the murderous threat grinds down once more.
Dismay and feverish tumult hold us,
within our souls we mutter "War!"

I see that tumult everywhere:
in every fact'ry stack and flue,
I see it in the sunset there
and in the sky so calm and blue.

When one's encircled and shut in
as we are now on every side,
is it really such s sin
a little spot for love to hide?

Is it a sin - I wish you'd say -
that even when the workshops' din
is rent by angry bullet spray
I've time to think, "I love her still"?

Yes, our tiny world of love
is very narrow, it is true,
that's why with eyes fixed straight ahead
I sing so short a song for you.

Comments