Karlovo Hotels

• lillyia profile photo lillyia
  • Reviews: 81

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Shterev Hotel Karlovo: The last option

I'm just back from Karlovo. As the tourist hostel was full I've stayed for a night at the 'Shterev Hotel'. I've booked the cheapest possible room - 25 lv (1lv ~ 1.95eu), which is actually expensive for Bulgarians in Bulgaria. What I've got was not very clean room with very old furniture and an awful bathroom. There was hot water! And… specially for TV fans, unfortunately I’m not one of them, it was possible to follow the TV programme the administrator was watching at the lobby. At 6:00 o'clock in the morning the elevator start moving - this is really good sound for waking up!

In the morning I didn't get my 'breakfast-included' coupons. I've asked the receptionist for and it took about 5 minutes to receive them. The breakfast itself (two sandwiches and a cup of coffee) took about 1,30 hours - happily, both order and sandwiches preparation.

At the end, the invoice I've got is not possible to read - the ink is not enough...

I would say, this is a place where one could go if everything else is busy. Anyway, they have more expensive rooms, which probably are better. If you are keen to stay at Shterev hotels - go to Sopot.

- the most expensive place at Karlovo
- poor and very old furniture
- too noisy
- not enough clean
- not happy staff

- if there is nobody at the restaurant - go to the kitchen and find them

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Festivals, Hiking and Walking, Historical Travel
  • Written May 13, 2005

• lillyia profile photo lillyia
  • Reviews: 81

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Karlovo tourist hostel: The cheapest in Karlovo

It's simple, traditional and cheap; We could say clean, but they still have some problems with the toilets. Often there are workers staying for one-two weeks - nice people, who like bier, cigarettes, shopska salad, and are keen to meet new friends.

There are about 40 places in 4 rooms, communal bathroom and 2 beds apartment. A coffee bar is open after 16 in the afternoon. The hostel works whole week round except Mondays. If you arrive on Monday without a reservation, you should call to a mobile number (written on the door) and wait about 30 min. in order to be accommodated. You need reservation, as the place is popular with schools and often is full. Be prepared - most of the stuff don't speak English.

In case you make a reservation and payment in advance – you could have the perfect experience. I like it for it’s the cheapest place in Karlovo.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive