Detelina Hotel

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 20% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Varna

Passing the breakwater in VarnaPassing the breakwater in Varna

Russian or Soviet Liberators?Russian or Soviet Liberators?

Main PoolMain Pool

the mechanismthe mechanism

Varna to Bucharest

by jerry786

There seems to be a bus from Varna to Bucharest via Mangalia that leaves at 6:30 and arrives in Bucharest at 12:45. Are there any better alternative routings for this journey which I plan to make on Thursday, July 8th? Thanks

by IsaBrill

Hello,
Please check the option with changing busses in Balchik. (Balchik with the Romanian Queen's palace and Botanical gardens is worth a visit.)
Varna - Balchik:
14:30 from Varna/ Mladost bus terminal (50 min,5 BGN)
Balchik - Bucharest:
17:30 from Balchik to Bucharest
Enjoy the ride!

by jerry786

Thanks. The early departure from Varna is better for me, as I will have more time in Bucharest. This will be my 4th trip to Bulgaria. Next time, I'll take your advise.

by davidlayba

another option is :

VARNA - RUSE : http://avtogari.info/index_en.php

you have bus at 07:30 from varna and arrived to ruse at 10:57

RUSE - BUCHAREST :

Ruse Bus Station has a Bulgarian-only website which list departures and arrivals for all destinations in Bulgaria and Romania (Bucharest and Giurgiu).

Букурещ - bucharest at bulgarian

Русе - ruse at bulgarian

by ambergem

Hi-

would you happen to know where I would find information on this journey in the reverse direction? i.e. bucharest-ruse-varna

Thanks

by ambergem

hi-

would you happen to know any information about travelling in the opposite direction i.e. bucharest-ruse-varna.

Thank you.

Travel Tips for Varna

All inclusive or not?

by kathbulgaria

Hi

As an expat that has lived here in Bulgaria for two years in the Varna region. I would not recommend the all inclusive route, there are good hotels in golden sands, the Admiral and the Melia hotel (previously the Kempinsky) are the best but there is a nice apart/hotel resort called Joya park that offers reasonable prices as well. The food in the hotels can be limited and you never really get to experience the best of the Bulgarian cuisine. You can eat very reasonably in the resort and outside of it even more so, buses are easily caught from the top of the resort into Varna or Balchik where there is plenty to do for variety. Drinks are also cheap if you catch happy hours there is a great cocktail bar, right opposite the beach mcDonalds, infront of the Asteria Hotel this does cocktails for 4lv all the time that is approximately £1.70 so very well priced.

Hope this helps and you enjoy your stay!

July Morning Festival

by ChristinaNest

This festival is called like that after Uria Heep's song 'July Morning'. I think it started in the 80's with a bunch of Bulgarian hippie fans. It started as a big beach party on thie night before July 1st and the idea was to party all night long and meet the first sunshine. I think that the biggest celebrations are in Varna, but there are other places along the cosat as well. It's basicly people gather on the beach, there are many groups, some make a fire, some bring their guitars, some sing and dance, some get absolutely wasted... There are usually also concerts and other activities.
The fist time I went was in 1992, a schoolmate took me along with others from my school. It was the same day we finished the school year and we received our grades. Since we had to leave right after school and I wouldn't have time to go home to show my grades to my parents, and definately couldn't tell them where I was going, I made a plan. The day before I forged another grade book with all the signatures, etc. (I knew my grades already, anyway) and before leaving for school in the morning, I left the grade book on the table together with a note saying that after school I was going to a houseparty with a girlfriend and was going to stay at her place...The plan worked fine and we had a great time there. The next few years I went to the festival again, but I think that the first time was the best.

You Know Your At The Seaside When...

by johngayton about Nord

...the menu is full of sand!

This is a typical beach cafe/bar with its outdoor wooden benches sitting on a deck jutting out towards the waterfront. The menu is simple, featuring a range of salads and fast-foody stuff, and service, certainly on a quietish, though sunny, November afternoon, friendly and swift. I'd been taking advantage of an unseasonably glorious November afternoon to have a stroll along the seafront and this place seemed an ideal pit-stop for a refreshing beer. The beer hit the spot and despite having already eaten lunch the aroma of the frying whitebait was too tempting to pass up. So "Edna Tsa-tsa Molya" it was. This arrived as a huge plateful, more than enough for two - fortunately there were a couple of stray cats hanging around to assist!

Roman thermal baths ruins

by desert_princess

*( I've found today the most amazing thing in the middle of the city!! Roman thermal bath ruins!!!but the most amazing part was that I was the only visitor!!! well It has a fence ,but I found a hidden entrance just below a building! and the complex is as huge as a temple.all this to myself!!! can't believe my luck...I just had to climb a small fence , and made a step into another world.I was walking and imagining...what everything looked back in the days . The place crowded with naked people taking a bath , moisture and steam in the air ,voices...
I just wanted to take a couple of shots as my friend was waiting for me , but I had to walk further and further , and from one room to the other , into underground caves,stairs.....damn!! It was awesome... it's like finding a lost temple amid the concrete jungle of the surrounding buildings - you wouldn't resist.It took me about half an hour to make the whole tour.As it took too long , I didn't went to the underground galleries that you'll see on the last pic. hey ,but the stone with the inscription - it's Greek )

If you want to see the full gallery of pics , click here >
Roman Bath Ruins - photo gallery

Ethnographic museum

by mirchica

The Ethnographic Museum is housed in a building from early 19th century .The museum gives an idea of the everyday life of the Bulgarians of old times. Its collection is more on the cultural inheritance of the local people during the 19th and the 20th centuries which includes clothes, jewelry, ritual bread,etc.

Comments