Red Coral Apartments

Red Coral Apartments
Booking.com Priceline.com eDreams

More about Cavtat

St. Nicholas Church, CavtatSt. Nicholas Church, Cavtat

Sunset from the Sustjepan Peninsula, CavtatSunset from the Sustjepan Peninsula, Cavtat

Cavtat HarbourCavtat Harbour

the tasty scampithe tasty scampi

Kuna or Euro (or both)

by lealeam

I've heard euros are also accepted.. but.. is it best to get Kuna and are their ATMs in Cavtat? Tks

by pub_dog

Best to get Kuna as Euro's are probably rounded up to your (the customers) disadvantage. This is an opinion as we didn't use Euro's over there. We took a minimal amount of Kuna as the rates are better over there. I found Tesco's consistantly gave the best rates over any of the travel agencies, post office, M&S and Banks etc.

We also have a Nationwide flex card (the only one that doesn't charge for overseas withdrawals)and you get the better oversea rate, so we used it to take money out. The are four ATM's in Cavtat. The two most prominent are in the center near the market / bus station. Select the English flag and away you go.

by pub_dog

Erm, sorry meant to say British flag. I'll shut up now.....

by loonytoon01

Can you pay with Euros in the UK? No. It goes for Croatia as well, and even if you can it's actually illegal and the shops shouldn't be doing this. Also, as mentioned, if you pay in Euros it will be to your disadvantage. I recommend changing a smaller amount of money first, see how far it goes and then change some more. Same goes for ATMs, but check what the charge for overseas cash withdrawal is and beware of the fact that you won't get money in GBP but in Kuna and this is where complicated "exchange rates" come into being.

by lealeam

Thanks for this. Only quoting what I'd been told about using Euros - wasn't sure so that's why I asked. Interestingly enough, our hotel is quoting its prices in Euros ...... now I'm going to ask them to give me a price in Kuna. Thanks for the info. L

by pub_dog

OK, just to complete the info.

I've just had my N/W statement come through and I was getting 10.79 kuna to the £ withdrawing from the ATM's in Cavtat, and as its N/W no charge. To compare, the best rate I could get in the UK was 10.27, so much better abroad as I've always found.

Also, to back up the Euro v Kuna question I remember a painting advertised at either 70 kuna or 10 Euro. Doing the math at current exchange rates your losing out to the tune of approx 5% using euro's.

Hope this helps.

by SulimanM

There are two ATMs near the entrance to Cavtat old town, one next to the mini-mart and one next to the post office.

Travel Tips for Cavtat

Promenade

by KristaB

Cavtat was the main settlement of the region long time ago. Fertile land of Konavle just behind it, two sheltered bays for sea traders and fishermen, it was rich and on top of European living standards of those times.
But they got hit hard by invaders - Avars and Slavs, and refugees decided to find a safer location for their new home. So Dubrovnik was built, within walls, with mighty fortresses. Lesson learned.
Cavtat did recover, but never back to its former potential, people were living of land and sea, working mostly for Dubrovnik - growing food etc. The connection between Cavtat and Dubrovnik is still strong, they can see each other across the sea and smile. (mist over the sea prevents clear view of Dubrovnik, but I'll go back and try to get a better pic some day).
Between them, on the coastline, there used to be a lavish hotel. It will be renovated, I'm sure, no invader could ever destroy their spirit.

Croatian Flag on Esplanade

by Mikebb

Walking the beautiful esplanade is ideal for a photo shoot. I always try to take a photo of the country's national flag, often it is hard to capture due to the variance of wind. I was lucky this day to get a full shot of the Croatian Flag with the Cavtat esplanade as a beautiful backdrop.

St.Nicholas Church

by novsco61

In addition to the beautiful interior of the baroque parish church, adjacent to it you'll find an exhibit of several rare and valuable pieces such as the painting of St. Nicholas (15th ct.), an alabaster relief (14ct.), "St. Sebastian" by the master Genarri, works by Bukovac, etc.

Sightseeing by boat

by Rusket

Several companies offer sightseeing trips to the islands or to Dubrovnik. They all have stands at the quay.

I chose a one way trip to Dubrovnik with M/B Karuso, taking the bus back for the variation. Another reason is that they stop sailing relatively early in the afternoon during spring, and I didn't want to get stuck with a prepaid ticket. During the summer season their last return is around midnight. It was a nice and relaxing way of getting to Dubrovnik, with pretty views on the way. Nothing very special, but you get to see the shore from "the other side", and to arrive Dubrovnik right by the eastern gate that leads you right onto Stradun, the main street of Old Town Dubrovnik. And I prefer the boat trip 10 times compared to the overcrowded bus I took back! Dubrovnik is a must see for many tourists. And it is a historically very interesting city, especially if you have never been to any of the many old towns along the Dalmatian and Montenegrin coast. My personal opinion is that half a day is enough. For the stay I prefer the serenity of Cavtat.

Price one way: KN 50, return ticket KN 80.

CAVTAT

by edwis

"one night near airport"

just south of Dubrovnik, on way to the Airport, is the cute little village of Cavtat. works well for a last night place to stay for an early morning flight out of DBV.
little harbor, nice village streets, very picturesque.

From our Trip Summary 2009:
Because we had an early morning flight out of Dubrovnik the next day, we decided to get a room in Cavtat about 5 minutes from the airport. Hotel prices were very high (200 euros per night) since this is high season in a quaint, touristy, seaside village. The clerk then asks if we want to stay privately. We agreed, and he calls his girl friend who shows up about 10 minutes later all dressed up for an evening out, and rides with us to show us an apartment for the night. The place is clean and very cheap. Accommodations worked out well for all involved.

Comments