Villa Adria

More about Cavtat

Old Town, CavtatOld Town, Cavtat

Sunset from the Rat Peninsula, CavtatSunset from the Rat Peninsula, Cavtat

Apartments Katusic, CavtatApartments Katusic, Cavtat

The Costa Fortuna with Lokrum Island in BackgroundThe Costa Fortuna with Lokrum Island in Background

Cavtat Town Hall- what's it like?

by sarahmac

Hi,

We are an extremely laid back couple who have decided to run off to Croatia to get married. The ceremony is due to be in Cavtat Town Hall. Now, we have never actually been to Cavtat (or Croatia for that matter…) so have no idea what the town hall is actually like. All we know is it’s ‘much nicer than the Town Hall in Dubrovnik’. I’m not too fussed (all I really care about is that I’m marrying a brilliant guy) but my mother is having a FIT about the whole thing- ‘what if we get there and it’s terrible…’ (and I have a horrible feeling that applies to the whole country, people and culture). Yawn. Still, she is my Mum, and I am an only child so I thought I’d make the effort:

Does anyone happen to have any photos of the town hall, or can anyone describe it?

Thanks heaps,

Sarah (and Ben)

by EllenH

I have not been to Cavtat or the town hall, but the country is amazingly beautiful, the food is outstanding, the wine and beer are also, the people are warm if you make an effort....why did you choose somewhere you have never been? just curious.

by sarahmac

Thanks for that. Why did we pick Croatia? We are living in Europe and wanted a small wedding 'abroad'. Croatia just looked great- we love snorkling, diving, hiking, looking for animals... I had also heard great stuff about the food, and seen enough photos of the towns to be convinced it would be great. As i said, i'm not too hung up on the whole big-white-dress thing so we picked somewhere that looked like a great place to laugh and eat with friends. oh, and Croatia is one of the few countries on the med (or atlantic) that will allow you to legally get married without a residency period- that fact knocked France, Spain, Portugal off the list. I LOVE italy, but had travelled there already with friends and had so many memories of italy, i wanted somewhere that i would always remember in reference to my partner. don't know if that makes much sense to anyone except us... but we're happy.

by CyberCroat

You will like Cavtat if you like calmness. It’s a great little town built by white stones. Well, I’ve visited there several times but am not absolutely sure which the Town Hall building is. Think that some nice, typical 2 story house with a kind of art/souvenir/jewellery shop in the groundfloor would be it.

by JLBG

I was in Cavtat four days ago. I have not spotted the town hall but the whole city is very beautiful, the people very nice and you will not be deceived. It is very quiet though there can be several buses unloading visitors from the airport but that will not last. I highly recommend the Leute restaurant. They are outstanding! We were there to have a birthday dinner (of the both of us, one week different but we decided to have it at the same time) and had a very good time!

by Schoolbags

Sorry I can't remember the town hall, but Cavtat itself is charming, so pretty and not at all threatening. A lovely "front" to stroll along with bars strung along to sit and have a drink - alcholic or not. The views around the harbour are stunning. A lovely place for a wedding.
We were there 3 years ago and I would just love to go back. Although the bus is cheaper, the regular boats to Dubrovnik are a much better way to travel there.
Enjoy your wedding, don't think you will be disappointed with Cavtat.
Betty

Travel Tips for Cavtat

The local bakery

by averageyorkshirejoe

This bakery is in a lovely square near the leut and dalamation restaurant with tables outside where you can wacth the world go by, we saw a lot of the locals running in for supplies whilst we were there. They do a great sour cherry strudel (only 7kn), the baklava was a massive wedge and the boreks, both meat and cheese are enormous so its best to share (only 15kn). They do the full selection of coffeess also vey reasonably priced and the service is very friendly !!

Promenade

by sandysmith

The promenade is beautifully lined with palm trees and lush vegeation and is an enjoyable walk alongside the shops and cafes - of course you will want to stop off at one of these :-)) Several boat companies can be found here undertaking various taxi services to other bays and towns nearby as well as Dubrovnik, several times a day.

Elafiti Island Cruises

by starship

This tip could be listed under the "Off the Beaten Path" section but for those travelers staying more than just a day or two in this area, taking a day cruise to one or all of the ELAFITI ISLANDS perhaps should be one of your "must see" attractions. Kolocep, Lopud and Sipan are the major islands comprising the chain of Elafiti Islands between the Pelješac peninsula and the Lapad peninsula. "Their name derives from the ancient Greek word ‘elafos’ meaning deer (deer islands). " These islands were once places favored for the summer residences of the Dubrovnik aristocrats.

Each island has treasures waiting to be explored: beaches, caves, ruins of fortresses, churches, monasteries, summer villas etc. Water sports are popular such as snorkeling and kayaking. Look for old gardens and orange and lemon trees. The views are spectacular.

Kolocep is the smallest and closest of the 3 major islands and is the site of Witches Cave & blue Cave; Lopud, the 2nd largest and most visited island and is 50 minutes by boat from Dubrovnik. Look for the beautiful & famous "Sunj" beach, the 1483 Franciscan Monastery; Sipan (pronounced 'shee - pan') is the largest and is only 17km from Dubrovnik.

Look for the kiosks near the waterfront which have information, cruise times, and tickets for cruises to the islands. Prices vary for destination and season. Some day cruises offer music, guides, lunch and more for a higher, all inclusive price.

The Mausoleum

by antistar

Perched on the top of the highest hill in Cavtat, the Mausoleum can be seen from all over, and offers fantastic views across the waters and back to the Dinaric Alps. It was built by one of Croatia's most famous architects, Ivan Mestrovic, for possibly Cavtat's most famous family, the wealthy shipbuilders Racic.

Beauty and Peace at Cavtat Bay

by Mikebb

"Day Trip To Cavtat"

Having been in Dubrovnik for several days we decided to take a day trip to the seaside resort town of Cavtat situated 20 km south.We caught the local bus and weaved our way along the coast with regular stops.It was an interesting trip with some nice coastal views, and approximately 40 minutes later arrived at the small town with various local shops. It was not what we expected and speaking with a local shopkeeper he directed us along a 10 minute walk which brought us onto the beautiful esplanade. This was a magnificent view of the bay with the long esplanade dotted with market stalls and an assortment of boats, small cafes, old buildings and beautiful palm trees. The pathway along the esplanade continued along around the point for several kilometres and is a most pleasant stroll. It is an ideal place to have a long lunch in the sun.
During the peak summer season Cavtat becomes the destination for the rich and famous with many yachts using the bay as a mooring.

"A Very Long Esplanade"

A walk along the esplanade will showcase the love of the Croatian people for the sea and their reliance on it as a major food source. Many of the small boats would be for recreation and as you continue your walk you come across the small commercial boats with their fishing nets.

Comments