Krile

Radnicka 16, Dubrovnik, 20000, Croatia
Hostelworld.com

More about Dubrovnik

Franciscan monasteryFranciscan monastery

Front view of the churchFront view of the church

Stianed glass alterpieceStianed glass alterpiece

Not many here today-luckyNot many here today-lucky

Walking the Wall in Dubrovnik for the Elderly?

by mykeyest

My 71 year old mother and I are taking a cruise that stops in Dubrovnik next month and I'm trying to determine how much effort it takes to get to the top of the wall that circles the town as well as how difficult it is to then walk on the wall. My Mom can walk and climb stairs, but only for short periods of time. I have a collapsible wheelchair that I can carry to the top of the Wall -- but I'm wondering if it will do me/her any good once it's at the top. How wide is the wall? Can a wheelchair pass the crowds of people that I'm expecting will be at the top of the wall? If anyone can give me a realistic sense of 1) how much trouble it is to get from a cruise ship that tenders in the Harbor to the wall without an organized tour group from the ship, 2) how many steps, etc., are involved getting to the top of the wall, and 3) how easy would it be to wheel my Mom around the top of the wall (if the government even will allow a wheelchair on the wall!).

Many thanks!! Myke

by grets

Getting the wheelchair on top of the wall won't be too much of a problem (if they will allow it), but the wall is not flat all the way, there are many more steps to negotiate as walk round. I would say that it would be pretty hard work and extremely difficult to get a wheelchair round the whole circuit. I was there a couple of weeks ago, and it was mighty hot, with very little shade on top pof the wall.

I would suggest that your mother climbs the stairs to the top and just walks for a short distance, then comes down again. At least she can have seen the town from the wall.

by Wowmoment

My memory of the wall is that it would not be at all wheelchair friendly. Some of the steps up are of stone and are worn pretty smooth with centuries of feet. The streets are pretty much like this too.

Once walking around the wall it is not level with steps and narrow parts. I think your best bet is to find a couple of locations on the circuit that Mother can manage and just go up for the view. Most people will be pretty patient with someone of limited mobility so she can take her time.

Parts of the wall are right near the harbour so you will find it easily.

The whole city is a delight and I am sure you will find plenty of places to sit and just enjoy the atmosphere.

by Valadelphia

I agree with the others that it would be too difficult to take the wheelchair up, as there are stairs on the wall. If she is in reasonable good health, she will be able to walk up and rest at various spots up on the wall. There is even a cafe for drinks, etc.
I would take the wheelchair to town though, and leave it at the wall gate (the attendants should have no problem with this).
If you are tendering in the old harbor, then you'll be right there. If you mean the main harbor (Gruz), then you'll catch a bus to the Pile Gate.
I also agree even if she does not walk the entire wall it will be worth it to go up for views. Just take it slow--and get there early!!! It gets super hot in that midday sun. Take an umbrella as a sun shade.

Travel Tips for Dubrovnik

Colorful Old Town Market

by tpal

As markets go, the market at Gundulićeva Poljana Square is not the best we have seen, but it was daily (except Sunday) and very convenient. The main market for Dubrovnik is in Gru┼ż which is where I suspect the locals shop. If you look closely you will notice that most of what is offered here needs no preparation and can be eaten on the go. Carol and I would stop by daily for fruit and especially our favorite treat...figs on a string.

Intro Photo: This woman is surely the image of everyone's kindly grandmother, but still a shrewd saleswoman. She was our regular stop each day.Our first encounter with her was most enlightening. We had selected a few items and were about to cash out when she picked up a bag of figs and seemed to infer that we should take them as a gift. We gestured that that was not necessary but she insisted...then she proceeded to charge us full price. The 10 kuna was easily worth the value of a good story.

Photo 2: Everyone gets to taste a sample.

Photo 3: If it seems like everyone is selling nearly the same thing, it is because...everyone is selling nearly the same thing

Photo 4: The name Sanitat on all the umbrellas may refer to a commission charged with ensuring health conditions in Dubrovnik.

Photo 5: Blue skies and warm sun makes for a perfect market day.

Football Everywhere

by biggeorge

We were lucky enough to be in Dubrovnik during the World Cup and being Croatia you can watch the football everywhere , every cafe wheels out a battered old T.V and every game is discussed with much smoking of cigarettes ,drinking of expresso and shouting at Boris Zivkovic's awful defending.

Elafiti Islands...

by coceng

My day trip to Elafiti Islands was the best that I could get to explore more of the water around Dubrovnik.
Situated in the north-west of Dubrovnik, the 3 most popular islands are :
Kolocep
Lopud,
Sipan.
Kolocep, the first of the 3 islands is just about 20 minutes by boat from Dubrovnik. There are 14 islands on the Elafiti group of islands but only these 3 are inhabited.
All the islands have lovely beautiful beaches, private coves & picturesque cliffs to attract people coming to this part of Croatia/Dubrovnik.

Reaching The Beach...

by coceng

After walking for a few more minutes, we reached the beach !
Very beautiful beach indeed ! It's called Sunj Bay, a horse-shoe like bay which contained this nice beach.
There were many people actually there...Then, I saw the yachts & boats just infront of the beach. Hhmm, rich people I thought to myself, coming here by their own boats !
You can see the sight on the photo...the boats & the people lying on the beach.

Cars and parking

by BamaJed

The drive down the coast to Dubrovnik is worthwile. It's beautiful, but somewhat exhausting. Once there, parking in the center is very expensive! ( $2 hour) and free parking is a Km away. If you want to stray from the Old town, the bus service is very good and cheap. Buy a ticket at a tobacco store.

Comments