Visit Burnum remains, near...
Visit Burnum remains, near Kistanje. These are the remains of the Roman camp, situated between Dalmata and Liburna(old roman names).
The XX Roman legion was based there, controlling traffic around and over Krka river.
Initially built by Publie Kornelius Dolabela; the emperor Claudius continued the works on it. 118 a.d: The emperor Hadrian gives Burnum a municipal status.
Destroyed 535 ad.
"City of Korcula"
KORCULA undobtedly holds a prvileged position among Croatian islands. Here there are perhaps even more legends, tales and monuments than anywhere else. The island has a number of famous towns including Korcula., Lumbarda and Vela Luka. The oldest written monument in Croatia, the “Lumbardska psefizma”, in Greek, was found in Lumbarda. Accordint to legend, Korcula was established by the Trojan hero Anthenor in the 12th century BC.
The Latin version of the name is Corcyra Nigra, Black Corcyra, because of the thick woods on the island. KORCULA is, after Lokrum and Mljet, the third most densely wooded island of Croatia.
The Statute of KORCULA, signed in 1214, prohibited the slave trade for the first time in Europe. It also spoke about the order and management of the city. At the end of the 13th century, a battle was fought between the navies of Venice and Genoa in the channel near the city. The famous travel writer, Marco Polo, who was, according to some sources, born in Korcula, was said to be involved.
The people of Korcula were famous stonemasons, shipbuilders and seafarers. They left their mark in stoneworks, sculptures and buildings all over Dalmatia, but they saved their best works for their own city. It took local builders 150 years to erect the cathedral of St. Marcus, the most valuable building in Korcula. In its long history, the town streets, laid out in a regular herringbone pattern, have seen many battles. Nowadays, each summer they come to life with the old knight’s dance of Moreska, dating from the 15th century. The dance evokes the battles with the Moors and was popular all over the Mediterranean. But today it has only been preserved on the island Korcula. In Blato, situated like Rome on seven hills, there is another, equally interesting knights’ dance called “kumpanija”.
Must see activities:
Magnificent town walls, the gates, the square and the cylindric towers. There are two obelisks erected in honour to the dukes of Korcula, with the incription of Anthenor (founder of Korcula). Also visit the Cathedral of St. Marc (15th and 16th century), built in the Gothic and Renaissance style, while the chapel of St. Rock (16th century) is just next to it.
There are also the church of Our Lady, St. Peter’s church, the church of St. Michael + the native house of Marco Polo (1264. – 1324.).
The western coast leads to the Dominican monastery with the church of St. Nicolas built with two naves (1573.). Outside the town, there are British fortification from 1813.
Enjoy local cuisine – lobster, shrimp, oyster, date shells and high quality white fish.
The Mediterranean influence on the cuisine means that the food will often be prepared “na leso” – boiled and seasoned.
In city Korcula go to “ADIO MARE” and try their “crni rizoto” (black risottos), “korculanska pasticada” and korculan brandy “anizeta”.
Korcula is famous for thei vineyards – so try local red and white wines (in Lumbarda try “Grk”, in Smokvica “Posip” …).
OFF THE BEATEN PATH
Although it is “officially” a peninsula, Peljesac is more like an island. A narrow channel divides it from island – Korcula.
Ston and Mali Ston, two colourful towns, were the most important and best fortified places in the Dubrovnik Republic in their time. The powerful medieval walls of Ston, perfectly preserved, date back to the 14th and 15th centuries. They guarded the land and large salt works.
The oysters from the bay of Mali Ston are famous, and so are its wines – “Postup” and “Dingac”.
Many houses in the town of Orebic (from their goes the ferry-boat to island Korcula) once belonged to sea captains and still house antique furniture and opulent tablewarw of glass, silver and china.
The acquired wealth and centuries – long links with East and West brought the fashions of European noblewoman to the town, their costumes created in exquisite fabrics.
Hotel “Liburna”, phone: +385 20 711 006; 727 026; Hotel “Korcula” phone: +385 20 711 078; Hotel “Marko Polo” phone: +385 20 726 100; Hotel “Park” phone: +385 20 726 004; Hotel & Apartments “Bon Repos” phone: +385 20 711 019;
For info. And reservation contact: email@example.com
Apartmensts “Mala Glavica” phone: +385 20 712 750, fax: 712 755;
In Vela Luka
Hotel “Posejdon”, phone: +385 20 812 206; Hotel “Korkyra”, phone: +385 20 812 204, fax: 812 044
For more info. Contact The Korcula Tourist Bureau:
Phone: +385 20 715 069
There are many ways to come to Korucula: by plane to Dubrovnik or Split and then by boat to Korcula, or over Peljesac to Orebic (from there the ferry-boat takes only 15 minutes to island Korcula), or by ferry boat from Rijeka all the way to Dubrovnik (it stops in Korcula).
LUMBARDA is just 7 km far from the city of Korcula. Its 1200 inhabitants are mainly active in local tourist service, but they are also wine-growers, fishermen and stone-dressers.
The scenery around Lumbarda is very picturesque, with indented coast, 20 islets with smooth flat cliffs, old deserted quarries, tiny sandy beaches edged by vineyards known by a famous white wine “Grk”, clean sea and mild climate, hills and slopes with olive groves, pine wood parks, hamonious stone arhitecture, aheological finds, ancient castels and “villae rusticae”, tranquility typical of and island, hospitable people who invite you to summer here.
A historical lapidary document, originating from the 4th century B.C., called the “Psephism of Lumbarda”, concerning the distribution of land and the common law of the Ancient Greek colonists from the island of Vis, was found in the local basilica Koludrt.
BLATO is situated 42 km away from Korcula, in an amphitheater on seven hills in the middle of the West part of the island. The town is a harmonious whole, gathered around a raised paved square, on which lies the parish; church of “Svi Sveti” (All Saints) from the 16th century with a tower and a loggia. The three-aisled church and its tower are examples of the skill of the local stone-masons who combined Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance elements in its building. Three important works of art lie in the church: a restorated painting by Girolamo di Santacroce at the main altar, the gift of the poet Kanavelid, choir benches in the late Renaissance style and a late Baroque carved frame for the side altar as well as a rich collection of silver church objects (candelabras, crosses, etc.).
VELA LUKA is situated at the other side of the island, and main city Korcula – at the end of a big naturally enclosed island of Osjak.
An interesting monument can be visited in Gradina – a small church on an island which was seperated from the island of Korcula in the distant past; around the church are the ruins of a monachs’ shelter. The oldest preserved building is the “kastel” of the Ismaellis Korcula princes.
The primordial nature around Vela Luka has been preserved untouched, as it was, for example, during the time of the Romans, these well-known “bonvivants” who knew how to choose a suitable place for their stay and entertainment between frequent wars. One such place is the island of Proizd, immediately outside the Vela Luka bay. All kinds of fish and meat specialities can be found in a specialized “barbecue” restaurant after swimming in incredibly clear sea water and sun-bathing on the white stones of Proizd.
A small boat takes passengers from Vela Luka quay (“riva”). Another larger island – Osjak, has a preserved forest and is also suitable for swimming and sun-bathing.