Hvar Hotels

Our Members Say

• mircaskirca profile photo mircaskirca
  • Reviews: 1091

Apartments Darinka Lupi: Stone House with Vineyard View

I used to spend many of my summer holidays in Stari Grad but it's a long time since my last visit. This year I decided to go there again and I felt quite excited about visiting the island after all these years. It was obvious that I was going to stay in the house of Darinka and Vinko Lupi again. I made a contact with their son Nikola asking about the apartment. Fortunately it was still available for the period of time that I wanted to stay.

They rent two apartments: one for 2-4 people and another for 7 people, both situated in the first floor. Our apartment had a big kitchen with a living room, bedroom, bathroom and a terrace. In the living room was a big sofa bed so each of us had her own room for sleeping, which was good. The apartment was fully equipped, with satellite TV and even a washing machine. For two people it was 30 euros (June 2010).

When we opened the fridge we found a pleasant surprise! Beside the big bottle of cold water there was one with their home-made wine, a nice welcome for us :) From our apartment there were magnificent views, of the old town on one side and of the vineyards on the other.

The house is quite big and it's made of stone. At the back there is a place to put chairs and a table, a big vegetable and herbs garden, and a vineyard. In the basement is a wine cellar; they make their own wine and rakija (very strong alcoholic beverage made of fermented fruits). I also liked the idea of outdoor kitchen which they use during summer.

Darinka, Vinko and Nikola are some of the friendliest people I've met! They helped us to find best quality local products that we wanted to buy and take with us, from wine and olive oil to anchovies, goat cheese and lavender honey. Several times Darinka brought us lunch - she's a real master of pasta dishes - and we could always take vegetables and herbs from the garden. In the evening, when Vinko left to work and Nikola out with his girlfriend or friends, we sometimes had long conversations with Darinka, always accompanied with wine. The atmosphere was very homely, and one more time, I would like to thank them all to make our holidays truly memorable :)

• Related to: Wine Tasting
  • Written July 27, 2010

vineyard view

• KristaB profile photo KristaB
  • Reviews: 324

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

SKALINADA: Rustic and modern, peaceful and charming

Personal approach, lovely location above the beach, great cuisine.

You can choose between rooms in the main building or new Dalmatian style cottages just behind it.
Sattelite TV, fireplace, air-conditioning.

Personal approach of the owner Mr. Tonci Anticevic and his wife Sabine. They are always willing to help, offer ideas for interesting sightseeing, and also organize tours of the Hvar island for their guests.

Their cuisine is famous in this area, but since they decided to focus their attention completely towards their hotel/cottage guests, "outsiders" can no longer enjoy delicacies there. But this also menas that their guests have more privacy and peace.

• Related to: Family Travel, Beaches, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written January 27, 2005

Skalinada & the beach

• TheWanderingCamel profile photo TheWanderingCamel
  • Reviews: 2572

Just-mir: Vrboska's oldest house

Built in 1573, a ruin for more than 200 years until it was lovingly restored by an artist, this old stone house right in the heart of Vrboska was our home for the time we were on Hvar.

With three bedrooms and a bathroom on the middle floor, it sleeps six people but as the living spaces are quite small it's probably more suited to just three or four. The well-equipped kitchen is shared with the owner who lives on the ground floor. There's a small, sunny elevated terrace at the front of the house and a tiny back area with a barbecue. Guests have their own entrance through this area.

The house is just a few yards from the main waterside area of the town where you'll find shops and restaurants. The town's most famous landmark - the great fortified church of St Mary - is also very near. Parking is available in the church square. Access to the square is via a turnoff on the way into the town centre - a route to be taken with great care as you negotiate the narrow space between the house walls.

We loved the simple charm of this old house, so sympathetically brought back to life. The house is not airconditioned, there's no television and the amenities are basic but the owner is delightful and the house oozes character - we're certainly intending to return.

• Written August 28, 2007
Tip Photo

• biggeorge profile photo biggeorge
  • Reviews: 392

The Tourist Office: Petronella's house

The Tourist Office set us up with a private room owned by an Italian speaking family. They lived on the ground floor and we rented the holiday flat above. We had two bedrooms ,two bathrooms ( a godsend for those hangover poo issues) and two balconies ,which were mostly used for lying about on.

The fact that you can sit on a wicker chair and watch the neighbours fix their fishing boat.

• Written February 12, 2004
Tip Photo

• sieffron profile photo sieffron
  • Reviews: 175

Sobe - Available Room: Sobe

My sister and I stayed in a private apartment close to the main promenade by the water when we were in Hvar Town. At first we made the unfortunate mistake of going with the most aggressive room hawker when we were coming off the ferry. She was a little old lady, but tenacious nevertheless. We walked far, far away and up many steps with large backpacks weighing us down. The accomodations were actually pretty suitable and not too badly priced at 100 kuna (a little over $16) per person per night, but we felt we could do better and made our way back down to the ferry dock. We were then casually approached by a young lady who seemed more out to help us than to sell us something. She had a bright, clean, and colorful apartment that was located about 50 paces from the waterfront and at a better price of 90 kuna per person per night. She also seemed shocked that we so reaily accepted without any bargaining (we struck out on in our negotiating attempts with the first room hawk). This was a good lesson in feeling out private accomodation representatives, as the more casual seemed to have better deals than the more aggressive.

The apartment was brightly colored and included a kitchen. There were two bedrooms, one of which was unoccupied the first night of our two night stay. The location couldn't have been better as we were right above a quiet restaurant terrace and only steps from the water.

• Related to: Backpacking, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written November 22, 2004

• csordila profile photo csordila
  • Reviews: 703

Terrace View Apartments: Private accommodation in Hvar

First floor apartment with separate kitchen(dining-room), bathroom and a huge terrace;
Smoking, Pets allowed in apartment,
Owner knowledge of English,

Avoid advance booking via Travel Agency, on site there are always available a lot of more cheaper. accommodation

Air conditioning, Refrigerator, Satellite TV,
Distances from: town center 600 m, sea 400 m, grocery 200 m , Post office: 300 m, pharmacy 500 m, exchange office 500 m, nearest gas station 300 m,

• Related to: Family Travel, Beaches
  • Written September 4, 2008

Pension/Guesthouse

• marktynernyc profile photo marktynernyc
  • Reviews: 530

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Capnovak Apartments: great view of the harbor....

Decided to rent an apartment this time for my visit to Hvar. A adequately furnished 1 bedroom apartment - the couch in the living room folded out to a bed thus my friend and I could have separate sleeping areas. Great view. The one draw back - lots of stairs if you took the most direct path from the square to the apartment. A more round about way was less strenous but more convoluted.

• Written October 1, 2005

view from balcony...

• Rusket profile photo Rusket
  • Reviews: 625

Private accomodation: Sobe

Hvar has a long tradition for tourism, and as everywhere on the Adriatic coast, private accomodation is very common. Some of the letters are very active; we were shanghaied on the ferry from Split! The letter called her husband from the ferry and ordered him to meet us in Stari Grad, but she herself had to go by bus, since she had shanghaied a finnish / swedish couple too, thus there was not room for her in the car :-)

I would not say it is risky to accept an offer like this, fooling us would be bad for their business. But it is wise only to agree to take a look at the place, and not make a decision until you know what you get.

We got a big room with a balcony and a view of the ocean on the first floor ( second floor in norwegian and american), sharing two bathrooms and a fully equipped kitchen with two other rooms. Walking distance to downtown Hvar was 10 - 15 minutes.

• Related to: Backpacking, Beaches
  • Written August 14, 2005

Hvar

• marktynernyc profile photo marktynernyc
  • Reviews: 530

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Adriatic: perfect view of the harbour...

Located on the harbour's edge - I could open my windows at night and hear the water lapping against the boats. The room was much better than the Hotel Palace - I even had air conditoning. I was a bit concerned that the noise from the bar Carpe Diem, on the opposite side of the harbour, might keep me awake - but I slept soundly with the windows closed. Breakfast was adequate. The staff was helpful and courteous.

Stayed in room 110 - great view of the harbour

• Related to: Singles, Gay and Lesbian, Budget Travel
  • Written September 26, 2004

breakfast at the Hotel Adriatic

• laneresq profile photo laneresq
  • Reviews: 2

private home: How its done

Don't stay in a commie era hotel! Just get on the hydrofoil in Split. When you get to the dock in Hvar town, plenty of people will meet you at the boat with rooms to rent. We rented a whole floor in a house, with a little kitchen and bath for a great price, one block off the bay, right near where the hydrofoil comes in, around $63 night (I probably overpaid at that, but bought both rooms for the privacy). It had a rooftop terrace where you could sit at night and ennjoy the sights, you could see the bay and the fort. It's a little scarry to go that far out without accomodation, but I wouldn't do it again any other way, it's the only way to go to Croatia. Of course, YOU CAN'T CHARGE ANYTHING IN CROATIA anyway, so have plenty of cash in your account!

Great views, good deal.

• Related to: Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Budget Travel
  • Written July 18, 2006

• hovey profile photo hovey
  • Reviews: 3

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Private room: Nela private accomadation

Very nice room and outside patio with views of the sea.

15 minute walk from town, uphill on the way back.

Decided to leave early as wanted to travel to Korcula and was charged the two nights we booked but did not stay. This was despite giving 48 hours notice and being in August when the room would have been very easily filled.

Views of the sea

• Written August 13, 2005

view from the patio

• erik0240 profile photo erik0240
  • Reviews: 45

Private accommodation: Excellent room

After arriving to Hvar town we managed to bump into a young lady on the main square. She had a room for rent and we decided to have a look. Once again (as in Dubrovnik) we were very lucky. The room was very very nice & also just one block from the main square.

This young couple (Teja & Tonci) that owned the room also offered scooters, bikes & boats for hire at a low price, so eventually we went for the scooter.

Very nice modern room with a big breeze availible (recommended during nighttime).

The couple was very helpful and nice, and the price for the room (200 Kn per night for a doubleroom) was extremely cheap!

• Written July 17, 2005

Our lovely room

• ivanab profile photo ivanab
  • Reviews: 197

renting a room

It's easy finding an accomodation at Hvar. If you haven't booked accomodation earlier of across Internet, you can always find it in a harbour. When you exit the boat, there's lots of people there offering rooms and apartmens. Me and my friend rented a room for 100 kunas a person (about 14 euros) and it was almost in the centre of city.

It has a little balcony, part of a terrace, a fridge and a coffie machine. Nothing fancy, only the neccesary things.

• Related to: Study Abroad, Trains, Backpacking
  • Written July 26, 2005

the room we were in

• Venturingnow profile photo Venturingnow
  • Reviews: 877

Sleeping on the cheap

In Croatia, common practice seems to be that all types of locals 'swarm' buses, ferries, and taxies arriving from out of town, offering rooms in their vacant houses or bedrooms. This is all fun and games, just pick someone that looks respectable and hop in or on whatever they're driving. You can bargain the price pretty well, especially in the off season or late at night. I always strive for a 25% decrease via bargaining, it makes me feel good.

The place I had in Hvar had an awesome balcony with a great view of the beach and sunsets each night. I also had a huge bed, my own key, and a mini kitchen for cooking, oh and a bathroom too! Only cost me 10 bucks.

• Written October 21, 2002
Tip Photo

My apartment balcony and dinner

• Avieira67 profile photo Avieira67
  • Reviews: 949

Mila Petric: Private accomodation

This room was offered to me by an old woman at the bus station.
This new house is located in a quiet area not far from downtown.

About 1km from downtown.
Rooms are big and clean.
Bathroom with hot water 24h.

• Written August 24, 2004