Villa Perka

Villa Perka
Expedia.com Hostelworld.com Hotels.com

More about Hvar

Stari GradStari Grad

ceramic miniatures of typical houses of Hvar townceramic miniatures of typical houses of Hvar town

Zaraće beachZaraće beach

Milna Beach at sunsetMilna Beach at sunset

ferries or catamarans?

by seblak

Hi, we will travel from Sarajevo to Dubrovnik then to Montenegro next week by rental car.
We surely want to see Hvar and Korcula.
What itinerary would you suggest? Go first to Dubrovnik and leave the car there and use catamaran? or take the car and use ferries?
Is there any other way to go to the islands coming from Sarajevo?
Thx.
Sebla

Re: ferries or catamarans?

by TheWanderingCamel

It depends on how long you have and what days you are travelling. If you only want to pay a brief visit to Korcula and Hvar you the catamarans are probably your best option. If you want to see more of the islands, you should consider taking your car. Depending on the day you are travelling you could go either to Dubrovnik or Split from Sarajevo to begin your island hopping. There are two car ferries a week that sail Split-Hvar-Korcula-Dubrovnik and return
Here is the schedule

If you think you might want to do it this way, I would contact Jadrolinija to make sure you can get your car on the ferry you want. I sent them an email last week and got an answer immediately.

You could also drive to Orebic from Dubrovnik (about 100km) and take the shuttle ferry across to Korcula - they go all through the day, it's a very short crossing and from Hvar there are several sailings a day back to Split with the regular local ferry.

Re: ferries or catamarans?

by dino335

You can drive from Dubrovnik to Korcula. You drive across Peljesac penisula to Orebik and take short local ferry ride to Korcula town. Then you can take Catamaran to Hvar and back to Korcula (leave car there). I think this is simplest. The Catmarran leaves Korcula for Hvar at 6 AM! website:

Catamarran does not go to Dubrovnik.

The Jadrolinjia Coastal Car Ferry goes from Dubronvnik to Korcula and Hvar, but not every day.

There is also a bus from Dubrovnik to Korcula. Leaves in the early afternoon.

If you decide to drive there are a couple of interesting places to stop on the way -- 12th Century Ston and Mali Ston which are connected by a 2 KM wall. Famous for oysters.

There are also daily excursion boats from Dubrovnik to Korcula.

Travel Tips for Hvar

Beaches

by KristaB

Round pebbles, crystal clear water.
Maestral wind starts blowing in the early afternoon like a perfect air-conditioner.
Of course these beaches get crowded from mid July until end of August.
Best time to visit Hvar is September. Then you can eat fresh grapes, pick figs from the trees, munch carobs and spit seeds into the sea.

Scuba Diving Hvar,Croatia(in fromt of Amfora Hotel

by Dee2006

After having a very successful first-ever dive in Korcula, my boyfriend and I decided to try it again in Hvar. We wished we hadnt. The day we booked it was very stormy and we were expecting it to be cancelled. However, when we went to ask them, they wanted to go ahead, They supplied us with equipment which immediately put us at unease...it looked a lot shabbier than the equipment we used on our first dive. Even though we requested an introductory dive, the "instructor" gave no guidance at all. He practically expected us to know everything. He made us put on our tanks and full gear out on the pier. I am an inexperienced diver but I am quite sure that this was not the safe way to do this. On our previous dive, the instructor had shown us the safe way to do this in the water. I felt the weights were not attached to me properly and was very nervous about the whole thing. We were then told to walk down the slippy steps with all this gear on. It was ridiculous. I felt myself slipping all the time and knew this was a bad start. When we were in the water he briefly told us to deflate our jackets and go under water. We did so, but as I went under, I knew my tank was not working properly.l Every time I moved my head, the air would stop and I would swallow loads of sea water. So I came up to the surface and said I was uneasy. The instructor said he would help me down this time. And when I went down, he kept a hold of my head so that this time when My tank gave out I could hardly get up. I decided to get out of the water. My boyfriend stayed for the dive. Again I had to go up those slippy steps with the equipment on my back. It was so dangersous. The other man was gruff and rude to me when I came out. To cap it all off I was forced to pay for the awful five minutes I had spent in the water, DO NOT USE THIS DIVE CENTER Shoddy equipment

Vrboska

by canaglic

Vrboska, a picturesque fishing village in a long quiet cove, famous for a collection of first-rate paintings by old masters in the parish church of St. Lawrence. You can also pay a visit to the Fishing Museum.

night chaos

by Gundam74 about Kiva bar

i think the best bar of the island, there are other bar, or disco bar, but i prefer this one, 'cose here u feel free.
the bar is so full that u have to stay outside, for drinking..... no problem u can order it even if u are outside be yourself, and forget the worls outside

Mellow Creamy Lavender Panna Cotta

by mircaskirca about Jurin Podrum

A small family-run restaurant Jurin Podrum (Cellar) can be found on one of the quiet lanes in the old part of the town. The interior is rather small, there are only a few tables. Try to get a table outside, it is much more enjoyable. The restaurant specializes in fish and seafood. I had a quick look at the menu. Enticing meals include risotto frutti di mare, spaghetti with prawns, octopus and capers, and a fish platter with octopus salad, smoked tuna and anchovies as a starter.

I did not dine there but only came for their exquisite dessert. The owner Silvija Pavičić was quite busy that evening but I managed to have a short conversation with her anyway. She seemed very nice and friendly lady. I had lavender panna cotta which was mellow, creamy and had a light lavender flavour. It was superb! Since it was cool, it was the ideal summer desert. A glass of cold prošek (traditional sweet dessert wine, destilled from dried grapes) went very well with it. Panna cotta was 20 kunas and prošek 15 kunas (June 2010).

A few days later I returned to have another lavender panna cotta. Unfortunately they had no prošek anymore. Instead they brought me two glasses with local liquor (the flavour of lavender and sage) which were on the house :) I especially liked lavender.

Comments