Hotel Kastel

Mihovilova sirina 5, Split, 21000, Croatia

B&B Kastel 1700
Hotels.com Travelocity Priceline.com

• Credit cards not accepted

2 of us wanted to make a reservation few days before the trip, but the lady said there is no need, since it is April and there are plenty of rooms available. When we got there the receptionist said there are no rooms available. "How come?", we asked. "Well, a group of tourists came that same day". Then she offered us a tiny room right next to the reception desk, with no normal window, but a small one, placed high, out of reach. We refused. Then she "remembered" there was additional room available, on the floor. This one was ok. It seemed to us that bed sheets weren´t very well cleaned and 2 towels were dirty with a couple of hairs on it. While climbing upstairs we noticed dirty spots on almost every room door. But, the most iritating thing was that they wouldn´t let us pay with credit card. "We prefer cash", receptionist said. "Everyone pays in cash", "We are not handling credit cards very well" - those are some of her comments. The best one is that "when you don´t take breakfast (only sleep over) then especially they accept cash only". I asked does that mean they don´t have POS machine or? She said they have it, but don´t use??!! I just couldn´t believe. And just to make sure I understood it right, I asked the same question 2 different receptionist cause we stayed there for 2 nights - same answer. And the price is definitely too high. It is a total lack of respect toward tourists, unprofessional way of doing business and I was ashamed that it took place in my country. Such a waste of so beautiful location.

More about Hotel Kastel

EArly Christian church from 5th centuryEArly Christian church from 5th century

The inner church and alterThe inner church and alter

Crypt is eery but sereneCrypt is eery but serene

Modern day roudy crowdModern day roudy crowd

Is there a hotel at Split airport to stay for early flight?

by josephssbb

Our flight departs at 7 am and I would like to stay overnight at the airport or nearby to be able to get to the counter at 5 am. Is there any hotel in/around the airport?
- Thanks

RE: Is there a hotel at Split airport to stay for early flight?

by diocletianvs

Split airport is located in Kastela. If you stay in any of the "Lower Kastelas" - Kastel Stafilic, Kastel Novi, Kastel Stari or Kastel Luksic you'll need about 10 minutes by local bus to reach the airport. Same goes for Trogir - it's only 10 minutes by local bus that runs every 30 minutes from 4.30 in the morning. Of yourse, you can also take a taxi that will be cheaper than a taxi taken from Split.

What first comes to my mind are hotel Palace in Kastel Stari, hotel Zarko or hotel Kastel in Kastel Luksic. Or centrally located hotels in Trogir: Pasike, Concordia or Fontana.

For the list of other hotels check the following websites:
www.kastela.org
www.trogir-online.com

p.s. If you're on domestic flight to Zagreb there's no need to be at the airport that early - you'll wake up the airport night security ;) An hour before the flight is sufficient for those early flights from Split.

RE: RE: Is there a hotel at Split airport to stay for early flight?

by Croa

Welcome!

www.e-adriatic.com

Re: Is there a hotel at Split airport to stay for early flight?

by xJamx

There is a small hotel in Kastel Luksic which has it's own taxi transfer service. I bet you can get a discount if you stay at their hotel and use their airport transfer service.
You can check this hotel at http://www.villa-cezar.com/adriatic/index.php/en/
You can arrange the taxi to airport when you get there or if you like to do thing in advance you can arrange the transfer booking on http://www.jamtransfer.com

I hope this information helps.

Recommendations for Accommodation two nights

by HelenNZ

We are going on a small boat cruise in the Adriatic leaving from Split. We will arrive two days earlier, on the 26th June. Have been looking on the forum and have narrowed the choice down to Adriana Hotel - Riva by the sea which seems to be a very good position, or the Hotel Park which is more expensive.
Can anyone advise me? Perhaps you may have some suggestions? We do not wish to spend more than 120 Eu per night - unless it is extra special.

by diocletianvs

Hotel Park is definitely nicer and in a more quiet location. It is at the walking distance from the city centre, overlooking the oldest beach in Split, situated in the quiet park.
Adriana is located on Riva - the main seaside promenade. This can become noisy at evenings and early mornings (cleaners, supplies etc).
The third option worth considering is Hotel Peristil (www.hotelperistil.com) - I've read only positive feedback about them. It is relatively new hotel located within the Diocletian's Palace.

by HelenNZ

Thank you so much for that. I enjoyed your web page on Split

by diocletianvs

Hope you'll enjoy your time in Split as well.

by Joolyjay

I would recommend Hotel Kastel. It is right on the Riva. I have stayed there many times and you really cannot get a better location or price. They have rooms or apartments with little kitchenettes, if you prefer.

Have a look at their website http://www.kastelsplit.com/indexen.html which has prices.

Have a good trip!

Pazin or Motovun?

by MMWSRK

My boyfriend and I have decided to spend 4 nights in Central Istria during our trip to Croatia. I am trying to decide if we should spend 4 nights in Motovun, or maybe 2 nights in Motovun and 2 nights in Pazin? We've never been there, so we're not sure if 4 nights in one town will be overdoing it.

Also, has anyone stayed in the Hotel Kastel in Motovun? Or any hotel or private accommodation there or in Pazin, that you can recommend?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

RE: Pazin or Motovun?

by CyberCroat

I've never stayed in Kastel Motovun hotel, but seen it from the outside. It looks really great and is perfectly located (right in town centre). Seen on their site it's a three star hotel, meaning that the service is good (hotel categorisation in Cro. is rather rigid).

Motovun is a sleepy, calm place. The only exception is during the MFF in late July when the place is crowded with friendly youth.

It depends what's your picture of perfect holidays, if 4 days is too long in one place. If you'll have a car, most of Istria will be easily reachable from any of these places.

by MMWSRK

Thanks for replying. We won't have a car there, so we were hoping to get around by buses and trains. Is it possible to hire a taxi to see the surrounding area, like some of the local wineries?

by CyberCroat

Frankly, I think central Istria is not that handy without a car.

Visiting some vineries is a great idea. I'm not sure about the availability of taxis, maybe you could ask locals (place you'll stay in).

This site have a lot of info and ideas what to do.

Restaurants and vineries are under Activities.

by JLBG

I agree with the previous answer. Central Istria is great and I love it but I feel that you must have a car. Why don't you rent one? That would be worth it.
Motovun is a nice little city on an amazing site but staying 4 days IN the city seems to me too much. You must to go in front of Motovun , on the other hill, near Karojba (7km), on the road to Pazin, to get the view on Motovun. Of course you can walk 7 km...
Have a look at my pages on my pages on Istria, you will realize how scattered are the places to see in central Istria.
I have not liked that much Pazin but may be I have missed the best of it.

Travel Tips for Split

Laundry drying

by diocletianvs

The best way of drying the laundry is of course on fresh air, with just a few rays of sun that kills the bacteria, and few “refuls” of the wind that will dry the clothes. If you look above the houses in the Old Town, you’ll see a complex net of ropes hanging between the houses. They go from one window to the other, and have a small round mechanisms on their ends so you can push the clothes away to be dried and pull them again when the drying process is over.

It takes some trust in your neighbours since it’s not a big problem to take something from someone else’s rope. It is not unusual that your neighbour brings the clothes inside in case of sudden rain if she sees you’re away from home and your laundry is almost dry.

And it takes some unwritten arrangements for everything to function in this limited space, like the one we had in our small courtyard where Thursdays were reserved for undusting the carpets and similar, “dirtier” actions of house cleaning.

Another jewel

by TheWanderingCamel

The little walled cities of Croatia are strung out along the coast like precious gems. Trogir, just 25km west of Split, is one such jewel. Although not really off the beaten track, it's well outside Split and you need to make a little effort to get here. Sitting on its own small islet, just a short bridge-span from the mainland, it's a very popular day trip for holiday makers in the area and I'm sure there are times when it gets really crowded.

Don't let that put you off - it's a lovely place, a miniature mediaeval city of twisting alleys and narrow streets lined with old stone houses that all lead eventually to the central square, Trg Ivana Pavla, where a 15th century loggia and clock tower face the Katedrala Sveti Lovrijenac (the Cathedral of St Lawrence). The loggia once served as the city's courthouse, the judge's stone table is still in situ beneath a contemporary (1471) relief portraying Justice.

The cathedral is a masterpiece of mediaeval architecture - its graceful belltower, beautiful interior and, of particular note, its truly splendid carved portal where lions support Adam and Eve, and scenes from the Bible combine with scenes of everday life along with saints and all the apostles in a wonderful mix of pre-Romaesque imagery.

Umbrella-shaded cafes lining one side of the square are just the place for a short stop to rest the feet and enjoy a cooling beer. When lunch calls there are several attractive restaurants along the Riva, the seafront promenade to the south of the island. The impressive fortress at the end of the Riva was built by the Venetians in 1430.

Keen sightseers will want to check out the city's other churches and towers, the walls and the Land Gate but the real pleasure of Trogir for me lies in simply wandering through the streets - the small details of a pretty window here; a charming balcony there; worn carved-stone lintels; washing hanging out to dry; glimpses into courtyards and stairways leading where?

Buses run between Split ans Trogir throughout the day. As the city is truly tiny, without any hills, getting around on foot is easy. If you're drioving yourself, there is parking near the fortress.

Air, Bus, or Train?

by Pounder73

When in Zagreb, you have the 3 main options on getting to Split (or Dubronvik). When I was there, busses were more viable then trains, because of the recent war. It was the choice of a 11+ hour train/buss ride for about $12 or pay $90 for a 45 minute flight. It was cheaper for my friend who was 26 years (or younger). We opted for the flight. And it did not matter if we bought the ticket the day before our flight!

Late night can get fishy

by acemj about Konoba Marjan

Well, this was almost my last meal, since shortly after this photo was taken, I got my butt kicked (see warning and danger tips). Fortunately, however, I was able to live to see another fish staring back at me from my plate.

This was one of the few places that I could find that was open after 10pm in Split. Actually, they looked like they were getting ready to close when I came in, but I guess I looked really hungry because they welcomed me with a smile.

My waiter spoke good English and really bent over backwards to make it a great dining experience. I had a grilled whole white fish called "Komarca" and a mixed salad with a decent red wine. Everything was excellent.

Mestrovic Museum

by jamidwyer

We walked to the Mestrovic museum from downtown, which took maybe 45 minutes. It's like a walk on any city street, except the brilliant Adriatic's there on your left, of course.

The admission wasn't too expensive, less than $5 US for sure. There were few sculptures as striking as Grgor downtown, but there were plenty of lovely works, many with Christian themes. It was a nice, mellow change of pace from all-beach-all-the-time. I'd certainly recommend it if you tire of Diocletian's palace and shopping as we had.

Comments