Solin-Old Medieval Name of Salona
This was the main living center for the Illyrian Delmaeti tribe and in the Greeks used it for trading over many centuries in BC. The Romans continued that trading commerce that covered much of the inland regions. The creation of Christianity got a foothold here in 200-300AD, and many churches were erected without much disturbance by the Romans for the most part, even though they had to keep the profile low key. However, by 300-500 AD there were some enormous churchs built here. German Ostrogoths destroyed much of the town in the 4th century, and by that time the population was over 60,000 and covered at least 1 square mile. The Slavs and Avars ravaged the town in 641, and completely destroyed it for what reason? That forced Solin residents to take refuge in the nearly abandoned Diocletian palace in Split, so they had some protection with the walls as defense.
The main areas are called Manastrine that was the little church outside the main town that was first built in 300's. After that over 300 years there were 3 main additions to the church to what the outline is today. The old town center in the middle was in a valley and the layout today to imagine it is fantastic. There are outlines of two churches, and many huge buildings of old. Excavation of the ruins started in about 1840's and the main digs was by F. Bulic, archaeological specialist in 1929-1940's. He studied much of the ruins and a great deal is located in Split museums today. The grounds are open daily 8-5 and it costs $5. There is also a dedicated area to Bulic in the Tusculum and a small museum up on the top floor.
Every year during the tourist season, in period from July 1 to August 31, in the very centre of the town, as the part of Trogir Summer Festival, concerts of classical and folklore music are held-in the open air or inside (the Rector’s Palace,Museum Hall, Cathedral, Kamerlengo Fortress...), as well as the promenade concerts along the streets and in the town squares. Besides the tour troupes, the programe includes native cultural and artistic organizations: KUD”Kvadrilja”, KUD “Petar Berislavic”, KUD ”Kolo” and Folk music. Together with this programme, the manifestation “Art Summer”, including exibitions in several town galleries, is also held. Cultural programmes connected with the celebration of St.John’s Day, the patron of the town, are held every year in the middle of November. Easter and Cristmas festivities are also interesting as well as the festivities of other religious holidays in numerous churches of Trogir troughout the year.
The Town Loggia - inside
The big relief on the south wall is representing Petar Berislavic, Croatian viceroy, the opponent of Venetians and heroic fighter against the Turks. The relief is Ivan Mestrovic's work, the most prominent and wide world known sculptor. The wooden ceiling of the loggia and its decorations is also worth of note.
A Town for Strolling the Promenade
"A Nice Stroll Around Town Sites"
This island town is only 20 miles from Split and a nice visits for one day. There are sites to take in such as CAthedral of St. Lovre and bell tower, museum(but it was closed and has been for 2 years-so wait it out), Kamerlengo fortress at the end of the island, Lucic Palace, Town square and clock tower to name a few. There are not many places where you can go inside for viewing, or touring, though. The walk along the promenade is very nice.
Trogi was called Tragurion, or Trau and occupied by Greeks in 3rd century BC. They traded goods and it was a ship building area. Later Romans took over, and in 1132 the Saracens destroyed much of the town. Venice rule started in 1420 and lasted until Austria 1797. Then after WWI, it was independent and eventually became the state of Yugoslovia. It is an island with the canal for protection form land side intrusion, so defense was a goal of the old times. The town expanded with commerce of ship building, and trade of goods from distant places, and today; of course tourism is the main stay. Romans controlled the area for 600 years. By 1100 the Hungarian and Croat cultures settled here, but in 1132 the Islam Arabs destroyed the town. With the control by Venetians in 1420-1800, it again thrived, and the architecture is mostly from that era, even though St. Barbara church is from 9th century and St. Ivan Kristel and St. Lawrence from 13th century. The defense wall surrounding the town was destroyed during Austria rule of 1800-1918. The town is a UNESCO site now.
"Picturesque Views can be Found Here"
The town is easy walking and all flat ground. The promenade is very nice and clean with trees and open area to take in the scenery and boats docked along the water edge. AT the south end are the town main sites of churches and administrative offices with palaces also. The west end has the remains of Fortress Kamerlengo and St. Marks tower
"Excellent views of the island from the tower"
The main square has the clock tower, town hall and loggia, Cipiko palaces (under renovation) and is close to the museum (now closed and may not reopen for quite some time for lack of money).