Croatia Hotels

Our Members Say

• TheWanderingCamel profile photo TheWanderingCamel
  • Reviews: 2572

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Private apartments everywhere: Doing your own thing

Self-catering apartments are so easy to find in Croatia's seaside towns and villages. Most towns have a booking agency quite prominently situated on the road into town or you can ask at any tourist office or travel agency. We took our chances everywhere we went apart from Dubrovnik (I always like to have my first night's accommodation booked when travelling) and these local agencies came up trumps for us each time. The apartments we found were all spacious, spotlessly clean and sufficiently equipped for the amount of cooking I'm prepared to do when on holiday. Each one had a wide balcony with a pleasant outlook ( a couple had quite stunning views) in peaceful locations where we could sit outside to eat breakfast and the meals we didn't take at restaurants. All had good showers and plenty of hot water - though I'd bring my own towel along next time, just in case, as I do like something bigger than a teatowel to dry myself off with. Some were airconditioned, one had a washing machine - all had a welcome waiting for us that we couldn't fault - even after the Croatia-Australia World Cup game.

In June, nightly rates varied from just 10 euros per person (in Bol for 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and sea view) to 20 euros in Cavtat (for a 3 bedroomed, 2 bathroomed, airconditioned apartment set in a beautiful garden with a view straight across to Dubrovnik).

Without exception we were afforded the warmest welcomes - an invitation to join our hosts for a an hour or so of conversation and a drink (or four) of their own wine. We met children and in-laws, pets and neighbors; had our cevapcici cooked for us and brought back with a big bowl of yummy chips made from home-grown potatoes; found bowls of apricots and a plate of cookies waiting on the kitchen table; washing was taken from the line in the garden and kept waiting for our return, beautifully folded; phone calls were made for us and addresses found - in other words, we were taken in as guests of the families who owned these apartments. Luxury hotels are fine but this was grassroots hospitality of the very best kind.

• Related to: Road Trip
  • Written August 4, 2006

Among the olives

• wise23girl profile photo wise23girl
  • Reviews: 758

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Jezero: A Blast from the Past

The Hotel still has the atmosphere of the former Socialist Regime. The staff rarely smile in this large sprawling building with dormitory style rooms. Well our room was a bit like that...chilly and small. To be fair the heaters were off but the coolness was a little late in the year.

Some luckier folk on the upper floor had rooms more like apartments...must have been for the important Soviet officials.

The hotel is still run by the government....wages are paid regardless of performance and this may account for the attitude problem.

We were told it was the best of the three hotels in the park.

And there was an internet modem in our room.

But to visit the lakes it is the place to stay and it really was OK.

There are three sections for accommodation....red, green , and blue which are indicated by coloured lights. We wondered what was in the red light section!

Food was OK. Fish the first night quite good. Coffee yuk for my taste.

Twin beds a little firm but we slept.

Think the cost was reasonable but we were on a tour and all prepaid.

We never did explore the rest of the hotels many rooms and floors.

• Related to: Family Travel, National/State Park, Hiking and Walking
  • Written May 18, 2011

The Hotel Jezero

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ravnice Youth Hostel: On the cheap . . .

Okay, my recommendations will focus on budget accommodations, because, well frankly, I'm CHEAP! Fortunately, I used the best resource of all when finding a place to stay in Zagreb . . . local VTers! They recommended that I take the tram about 15 or 20 minutes outside of the city and stay at this place. It was a great choice. The hostel is easy to find, cheap, clean and is operated by a great family who love to hear about your travel stories and give you advice about exploring Croatia.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive

• Reviews: 4857

Private room in Split: "Sobe"

When you arrive in Split, whether by train, plane or bus, you're likely to end up in the transportation hub (train and bus terminals) near the Old Town. If so, you won't have too much difficulty finding a room. There will probably be some little old ladies offering private rooms (they'll say "Sobe" which is "room" in Croatian or maybe the German, "Zimmer"). It's perfectly normal in Croatia to accept a room such as this, but make sure you clarify exactly where the room is located because sometimes they'll offer rooms well outside the city center.

If there are no little old ladies to greet you, just head to the "Riva" (waterfront promenade in front of the Diocletian's Palace) and there is a small tourist office that can arrange accommodations of all kinds (including private rooms).

my private room in Split

Dubrovnik options: Old Town

Outside of private accommodations and the hostel in Dubrovnik, rooms were pretty expensive. I would not recommend the hostel because it's located about a mile outside of the Old Town, which is really where all the action happens. I stayed near the hostel in a private room on my first night, but after having to wait too long for the bus a few times, I decided to spend a few more bucks (literally less than 10 Euros extra) to stay in a nicer, warmer, larger room right inside the Old Town.

Just as in Split, you're likely to be greeted by someone at the bus station offering private rooms, but if you can't find one located inside (or at least very close . . . there are plenty of great places on the hill above the Old Town that have awesome views), just go to a the tourist information office on Stradun.

• EllenH profile photo EllenH
  • Reviews: 181

Bijela ruza: Close to Zagreb airport

I include this as a tip because this hotel is 5 minutes at the most from Zagrebs' airport. It is in the much smaller town of Velika Gorica southeast of Zagreb. It cost 380 KN a night or about $65. It was a comfortable enough room, huge 2 bedrooms, older but perfectly clean and breakfast was included.

Driving away from Zagreb and towards Velika Gorica the road becomes one way. To get back to Zagreb you will then be going the other way. The hotel is on the left shortly after you start heading north again. The bus station is one block away and the trip to Zagreb costs 16KN one way and takes anywhere from 25-45 minutes depending on traffic. The town itself has an excellent restaurant and an excellent tavern/pub. I would recommend this as an easy access to the airport and easy access to Zagreb without having to drive in Zagreb (no no no)

• Written October 21, 2006

2 bedrooms

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Pension Belvedere in Seget Vranjica (near Trogir): Wanna experience real Croatian hospitality?

When searching for a place to stay in or near Trogir we couldn't decide which guesthouse to book. We had found two that looked nice and after talking about it decided to throw a coin. The coin said "Pension A". We then looked at both websites again and decided to book "Pension B", I mean what does the coin know? ;)

What a perfect decision! The daughter of the owners, the Sinovcic family, sent me so many nice emails before we even started, I was really looking forward to this place. When we arrived in Pension Belvedere, located in the fishing village Seget Vranjica, 4 kms from Trogir, the owner wasn't there, only his wife Nada who claimed she can't speak English (but spoke good English and quite a lot of it ;) showed us our room and immediately provided us with Turkish coffee and juice on the balcony. When Danko, the owner, manager, cook and landlord arrived he explained to us in perfect German (he speaks all kinds of languages!) about the area, about where we have to go, about how to get there and about his cooking. When we were planning a day trip to Split he drew us a map on how to get to their apartment there where we could leave the car for free. When we wanted to go to Krka we got the insider tips on where are the best views of the area from up the mountains etc etc. He really knows everything about this area and is happy to let you know about it, too. Perfect!

One evening when we came back from Split he welcomed us on the wonderful terrace and invited us for a lovely white wine, made by one of the neighbours. We talked and talked, drank wine and Schnapps (also made by the neighbour, very tasty Rosmarine Grappa!) all evening until it was almost one. After this evening we didn't only have a headache but also knew a lot more about Croatia and especially about Dalmatia. What a lovely evening! Thanks again, Danko!

The house is located just off the main road (Magistrale) along the coast from Sibenik to Trogir overlooking the street and the sea. Around it there's a wonderful garden full of fruit (I had never seen lemons that large - and I even got three to take home :), cats and flowers. All rooms are seaview and have a balcony facing the sea. Beautiful and very relaxing. Luckily the street isn't too noisy, all you hear in the mornings is the funny outdoor telephone of the next door neighbour ;)

Rooms are basic but ensuite and very clean. With the view from the balcony and all the Schnapps to drink here you hardly get to see your room at all. In the hall they had put a fridge for us to use, so that we could cure our handover with ice cold Coke Zero that one particular morning ;))))

Breakfast is included in the unbeatable price of 36 EUR per room/night we paid. It consists of coffee, juice, bread and jam and everyday there is a changing special. We got French Toast one day, the other time it was freshly baked waffles etc. Very nice! And very delicious!

Private Parking is of course available. Also there's the possibility to book half board. It's a shame we never had the change to experience Danko's cooking skills but I am sure they are great!

I really can't stop writing about this place. I just fell so much in love with it. Can you imagine that after a family party the Sinovcics had, Nada knocked on our door and brought us the leftovers, wonderful cake with fantastic icecream? They really know how to make you feel like part of the family!!!

If you book this place after having read this (which you should!) please let the Sinovcic family know that Thomas and Sabine from Düsseldorf say Hello and that we miss the view from the balcony every day ;)

• Written June 2, 2007

Pension Belvedere, Seget Vranjica

Apartments Plitvicer Seen: A nice house for a night near Plitvice

I found this house on a German speaking website and as I like Scandinavian style houses I had to book it when we were searching for a place to stay near Plitvice National Park. It was a great choice! I really enjoyed my time and slept like a stone here! And the next morning I was woken up by the sound of a rooster living next door - things that feel special to big city girls like me ;)

The house is located in Grabovec which is just off the main road from Karlovac to Plitvice. From there to the national park it's a 10 minute drive so it's a good location if you want to spend a day in the national park.

The house is very new with nice and bright furniture and beautiful warm colours. From all rooms we saw during the holiday this easily was the nicest one. Upstairs from the double rooms there's a holiday apartment for up to five people with a beautiful terrace.

What I enjoyed most about this place was the picnic bench & table outside on the terrace. It was lovely to sit there in the middle of wide open lowlands with only the main road and the coocoo disturbing. My favourite place for writing postcards or reading in the evening!

Breakfast isn't included in the price but you can get it for 5 EUR. We chose to have it. It isn't served in the house but in one a hundred metres up the road. The woman who welcomed us to the blue house also makes the breakfast. She speaks English, not very fluently but enough to communicate. I guess the owners of the house live in Germany, so she runs the place.

We paid 32 EUR (240 kn) for one night in May 2007.

• Related to: Road Trip

The house, Grabovec

Bokun Guesthouse: A great guesthouse in Dubrovnik

We found it quite hard to find a decent place to stay in Dubrovnik for little money. Luckily on hostelworld we found Bokun Guesthouse, a huge old house at the port of Gruz, a 5 minute bus ride from the old town and a short walk from Dubrovnik's main bus station.

It's a charming place with a very hostel like feel. People meeting on the large terrace in the middle of a lush garden which is unbelievably huge. Toni, the guy who runs the Bokun family's guesthouse, speaks excellent English and is more than helpful with tips where to and where not to go in the old town of Dubrovnik. He seems to have great tips for beaches as well but unfortunately we didn't have enough time to try them. Plus he likes to chat and he always offered us coffee or water. In my opinion it's these small things that turn a simple place into a friendly place...

The rooms are very nice and very clean. We staying in an ensuite double room with windows overlooking the terrace and the garden and with a tiny bathroom. Very fancy windows it had! A fridge for everyone to use was in the hallway. Parking was free next to the guesthouse's grounds on a big car park.

The price we got was without breakfast but you can get breakfast to if you pay extra. I saw the breakfast when it was picked from the trees, fresh cherries, strawberries, wonderful fruit!

You can book Bokun Guesthouse via hostelworld or hostelbookers but direct booking are more than welcome. For now I put Toni's email address into the URL field down here because their website is being developed at the moment. You might want to book well in advance, this place looks popular.

We paid EUR 21.34 per person sharing per night which is - compared to other prices in Dubrovnik - very cheap and definitely good value.

BTW, if you are searching for this place and somebody tells you that the family who runs this place died in an accident, or that there's no parking available and that it's far away from where you are - don't trust these people. They are the ones who want to rent out their rooms and don't really know what "fair competition" means...

• Written June 2, 2007

Bokun Guesthouse, Dubrovnik

• Pablo_krak profile photo Pablo_krak
  • Reviews: 55

Viganj surf Camping: Campground

This is one of the best place in Croatia for Windsurfing.For begginers and proffesionals.Camping is located 50m from the stone beach. From the Camping is nice view to the Korcula island. Viganj village is locted few kilometers from Orebic.

Great views for Korcula ( City and Island)

• Related to: Mountain Climbing, Water Sports, Windsurfing
  • Written October 29, 2004

• AndreSTGT profile photo AndreSTGT
  • Reviews: 758

-: Camp grounds and private rooms

Camp grounds are scattered throughout the Croatian coast, and even in summer you should be able to find a place to pitch your tent. Expect to pay around 10€ for a site. And be aware that some campgrounds (and beaches) in Croatia are strictly nudist.
Another good inexpensive alternative are private rooms. Look for signs reading 'sobe' or 'zimmer'. Prices and standards vary of course, but if you're lucky you may get a really comfortable room for as little as 15-20€.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip, Backpacking
  • Written January 24, 2004
Tip Photo

Sunset near Pirovac (Dalmatia)

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

"Desanka" in Diklo near Zadar: The most wonderful terrace.. and the worst bed!

For our stay in Zadar we had booked a holiday apartment in Diklo for two nights because we fell in love with its location. The house is located right at the sea, our terrace was not 10 metres away from the waves. The garden is full of beautiful flowers, palm trees and banana leafs. All this was wonderful! We sat on the terrace most of the time while we were here and I haven't read so much in ages!

The apartment is fully equipped with a kitchen, a living room, a bathroom with shower and the bed is in the living room. There also is satellite TV but it attracts the wrong satellite, all we could watch was French shopping channels and Arab sex channels...

From the house's location in Diklo you are in Zadar in no time by car. There's also a bus station outside the house but we couldn't find a timetable. A lot of big supermarkets are also close to "Desanka", not to mention the big camp ground and the beaches of Diklo.

We enjoyed our stay here, mostly because of the location, but I have to warn you about a few things:

Firstly we had booked this place via an agency in Split. To secure the room we needed to transfer our deposit onto a Croatian bank account. Considering the fee to do so we could have almost stayed in a **** hotel. The fee was definitely higher than the deposit.

The lady who rents out the holiday apartments in her house didn't speak very good English or German. It was hard to communicate with her at all, we used sign language most of the time. Apparently her son speaks English but we have never met him. We found it a bit strange how anybody not speaking at least English can start a business in tourism...

The next problem was the bed which wasn't really comfortable. It was quite old I assume and tourists must have stayed in it already in Tito's times. My back hurt every morning when getting up there. Plus we couldn't sleep very well because the walls are thin and every lorry or car passing by sounded like driving through our living room.

We paid 46 EUR per night for the apartment. Not included the bank fee ;)

• Opinion of Price: about average

Our terrace, Diklo

• blint profile photo blint
  • Reviews: 951

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Ilica: Don't listen to the bad reviews, Zagreb

I had heard mixed reviews about the hotel but decided to book a double room anyway. While looking though the updated version of the Lonely Planet I noticed that it had moved from the budget section to the mid range although the price still seemed very reasonable as accommodation in Zagreb is normally unusually high. Upon arriving I noticed that it is now a 3 star hotel so the 499 kuna for a room seemed ever better than before.

I had heard the rooms were very small. My room was slightly small but had plenty of storage space and the bed was clean, there were two heaters, an en suite bathroom and Sat TV.

The room looked onto a house and someones garden.

Although I wouldn't call the room exactly 3 star I had nothing to complain about. Especially due to the very friendly staff who greeted me by name at the doorstep upon my first arrival and always remembered my room number there on in.

The decoration was not the most aesthetically pleasing but it wasn't ugly. My room number was 11 just in case that helps anyone.

Please note that if you visit the web site it is in Croatian, but it is still possible to navigate around it and reserve a room. A double room is dvoposteljna, a single room is jednoposteljna and an apartment is apartman. ime and prezime are your names. dolazak means from which date you will check in and odlazak check out. The months are in order from January until December.

Don't worry the staff speak excellent English.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written January 9, 2006
Tip Photo

View from my hotel window.

Several: About accommodation in Croatia

You are searching for accommodation in Croatia? Well here's some things I found out. I thought I'd share them with you.

In Croatia there are sooooo many private places to rent for a day, a week or even a month. Of course there are hotels, too, but finding a private place to stay is most popular. Outside every 2nd house along the coast there's a sign saying "Sobe - Room - Zimmer". I liked booking these places because it helps the real people, not the businesspeople. Standards vary from a basic room with a bed and shared toilet to whole holiday apartments with everything you need. Prices vary as well. The cheapest place we stayed at was available for 32 EUR, the most expensive cost 43 EUR.

What we did was to book all accommodation before we left for our trip. In my opinion that was a very wise decision. Like this we didn't waste time trying to find a place to sleep plus we could be sure that we booked the nicest places at good prices. We had a fixed schedule of course but we didn't mind, on the contrary we enjoyed it.

We searched for places to stay on VT, on hostelworld.com and we googled terms like "Accommodation Zadar" in order to find a place to stay. Especially in low season you can choose freely from all places you find, every place we wrote to had a room available in May.

The people greeting you at bus stations, ferry ports etc. trying to rent out their rooms can be quite annoying. You never know what to expect when you follow them. Most of the one that approached us spoke hardly any English or Germany, one only knew one word which was "ROOM".

When you book with Croatian agencies you might have to transfer your deposit to a Croatian bank account. Fees are high! I recommend using hostelworld.com where you secure your room by a small CC payment. Or then, if you are German or Austrian or from any country where a lot of Croatian people live, try to find a place which is rented by people who live in your country or have a bank account in your country. You will save a lot of money.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip
Tip Photo

Some samples of places we stayed at

• ludogatto profile photo ludogatto
  • Reviews: 453

Baldarin naturist Camping: Naturist camping

the campground is big with some good restaurant and pizzeria inside, a supermarket and other accomodations...the place is full of marittime pine tree and in the campground there are some dears walking inside.
The campground is on the border of the sea and u can have the opportunity to find a place with see view and direct acsses to the beach.
Not all the campground is naturist, there is a part where you can stay 'dressed'.

The price depend on the number of people, if u have a homemobile or a tent......
U can rent a home mobile direct here if u prefere.

• Written April 23, 2006