Based on the resolution of the Rovinj Commune Assembly of 27 June 1968, the Rovinj islands and the coastal area were proclaimed the reservation of nature "due to the preservation of natural environments, landscape beauty, rich vegetation, beaches, aesthetic look and tourist significance". The resolution regarded all islands and the coastal area about 500 metres from the coast, depending on the configuration of the terrain from the St. John promontory in Valalta all the way to Barbariga. The resolution was legalized by the Republic Institute for the Protection of Nature in Zagreb (the official Croatian bulletin Narodne Novine SRH 22/69). The resolution is still in force. The changes regard the reducing of the coastal area following the changed structure of the commune of Bale, so that the beautiful, unique and famous Rovinj Archipelago is shorter by two islands that are held in common with the Bale Commune.
The following are the Rovinj islands from north to south, including all islands, islets, rocks or reefs: island Figarola (22.572 square metres), reef Figarolica, island St. Catherine (129.789 square metres), island Banjol, popularly called "The Seven Hairs" (7.240 square metres), reef Muntrav, island Samer, Magareci island or "The Island of Love" (4.560 square metres), (ex Crveni island) - St. Andrew and Maskin (233.429 square metres), island Sturag (22.269 square metres), island St. John on the Horizon (88.737 square metres), reef of St. John on the Horizon (lighthouse-lantern) (7.093 square metres), reef Veliki (6.236 square metres) and Mali (4.014 square metres) Piruzi, island Pulari (15.002 square metres), reef Revera (8.323 square metres), island Vestar (17.138 square metres), island Dvije sestrice - Mala (21.918 square metres) and Velika (49.101 square metres), island Pisulj (3.453 square metres), island Gustinja (5.467 square metres). According to the above list, the Rovinj
Archipelago has 14 islands and 6 reefs, in case that Dvije Sestrice are normally counted as two islands, while the ex- Crveni island is methodically subdivided in St. Andrew and Maskin. The length of the entire islands and reefs is 20,5 km, while the surface of the islands is 652.614 square metres or a little more than 65 hectares
We should also point out that the Bale Commune got the islets Kolona (7.720 square metres) and the reef Porer. Also, the St. Felix reef has not existed for twenty years now because it was connected with the continent following the construction of the port and the Valalta marina. The majority of islands used to be privately owned by the Rovinj fishermen or by richer families, and the representatives of the upper Austrian caste bought them at the turn of the century.
By the purchase and sale contract of 28 December 1891, the St. Andrew and Maskin became the ownership of the Hutterott family. Cavagliere Giovanni Giorgio of the late Karlo buys them from Conzoni Amalia born Escher, who inherited them from Pietro Catraro and Ana Stengle and Escher Enrico, a merchant from Trieste, the owner of the cement and lime factory founded on St. Andrew island in 1852.
In 1898, the Austrian archduke Karl Stephan bought the Island Catherine, but the Polish count Ignaz Karol Korvin Milewsky bought it from him on 21 April 1905.
On the occasion of the pass to the new ownership, there was a kind of competition about whose island will look better, so that it was systematically organized and professionally afforested transporting earth from the neighbouring area by ships and covering the karst surfaces of the island. For this reason, these islands are today a beautiful pride of Rovinj. The other islands were also afforested or covered with growing wild vegetation, still predominantly evergreen. Reefs are mainly barren, though they are the favourite meeting place of seagulls that breed there.