Funk Hostel

Zagreb CathedralZagreb Cathedral

Walking around ZagrebWalking around Zagreb

Trg Nikole Subića ZrinjskogTrg Nikole Subića Zrinjskog

Botanicki vrtBotanicki vrt

Zagreb to Split by night train

Hi,

I am searching on the Net more information of the night train that leaves Zagreb to Split.
I now that there is one train (D825) that leaves Zagreb at 22:55 and arrives in Split at 06:55.
It has sleeping cars but I cannot find out if there arte couchettes or just berth cabins... I also didn't find anything about prices or reservations on line...
Since my trip is in the middle of June, I wonder if it is too risky to go without reservation...
Thanks,

by diocletianvs

The only info about night trains I found on Croatian Railways website is in Croatian:

In June there are two night trains:
(from June 19th) Train #1823 leaving Zg GK at 21.40, arriving to ST at 05.48
Train #825 leaving Zg GK at 22.55, arriving to St at 06.55

Night trains have sleeping cars and cars with regular compartments (seats). No couchettes on this train.

A one-way ticket costs about 160 Kuna plus a supplement for sleeping cars ranging from 150 Kn for a bed in 3-bed cabin to 420 Kn for a single bed cabin.

In June trains can be more crowded than usual, but in general the management of Croatian Railways has been quite successful in making train travel quite unpopular in Croatia. This includes making stupid timetables, putting wrong types of trains on most lines and insisting on uncompetitive pricing system compared to buses and planes. Making a fully functional webpage in English, or introducing online reservations could attract more customers so don't expect this on their website. In the past there was a company's tourist agency where you could make a reservation but it no longer exists.

I consider myself a train lover and if you want my advice: book a flight on Croatia Airlines website. (They even have online reservations in English.)

by dino335

Check buses, probably cheaper and twice as fast.

Dear Diocletianvs,

Thank you for your help.. It is a pitty, because I also prefer trains than planes...
I have checked out what you have suggested, but I found higher prices (above 200EUR) for the plane tickets... and if I travel by night train I will pay around 50EUR and save one night at the hostels...
I am only insecure about the reservation situation... but, if I could not reserve a berth, I will try to go or by bus or by an earlier train...
Thanks for your help!

Dear Dino 335,

I will try the night train first, because it would save me time and money, but if it wouldn't work out I will check the buses as you suggested..
Thanks for your help!!

Dear Dino 335,

Thanks for your help!!

by miccek

dont care about reservation, they accept as much people as they sell tickets, so you may not seat but, you will get to Split. I often go to Split and prefer train..

Travel Tips for Zagreb

Trg Bana Josipa Jelacica

by Daja123

Trg Bana J.Jelacica (Ban J.Jelacic Square) has been a square since the 17th century. The all buildings surrounding it today were built in last two hundreds years in variety of styles, from Classicism and Secession to Modernism.
According to a legend, Zagreb got its name from a chance meeting at this square, when a viceroy called out to a girl standing near the well: "Manduso ZAGRABI (scoop), and that is how the well came to be named Mandusevac, and the town Zagreb.
When visiting Zagreb, most of the tourist start walking tour at this point.

We visited 'Trg bana...

by rendul

We visited 'Trg bana Jelacica', a plaza located at the center of the city that night. It could be a perfect place for street performers, but people only pass by there. I felt that it was a beautiful place but something was missing

Things to see...stone gate

by canaglic

From Trg Bana Jelacica (named after the Croatian hero and viceroy who defeated the Hungarians in an uprising in 1848 - his monument is in the square) turn right and into the first street on the left to see the twin neo-Gothic spires of St. Stephen's Cathedral, built in 1899. The baroque Archbishops' Palace is attached to the cathedral. Nearby is the colourful Dolac market, the main market in Zagreb, which is definitely worth visiting. You can have an inexpensive meal in one of the fast-food kiosks close by. Walk along Tkalciceva Ulica towards the upper town and you will come to the 13th century Stone Gate (Kamenita vrata) with a painting of the Virgin Mary which miraculously escaped the great fire of 1731 and is a place of pilgrimage.

In Zagreb there'are soma...

by mulivieri

In Zagreb there'are soma beatiful church, here I'd like to advice you of my preferred: The Cathedral and The St. Marko. The first one is the most important and big religious center of Croatia, but unfortunally I have no photo of it, because there were some maintenance works on it. The second one is a very beautiful church, it isn't very big but very nice. I'd like very much the roof of it becouse is plenty of mosaics, how you can see in the photo.

Kaptol - The Cathedral

by croisbeauty

The very same spot in a different season. This picture was taken in the first week of January 2003, Zagreb was covered by the snow. We use to say "beli Zagreb grad" (the White Zagreb) for our town. That nickname dates from the begining of the 20th century and was given because of the white coloured facades of the houses. Nowadays, it nickname suits to the town only when covered by the snow.

Comments