Hotel Dvorac Gjalski

Gredice Zabocke 7, Zabok, Zagreb, 49210, Croatia
Hotel Dvorac Gjalski
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Zagreb

Pizza Oliva from Italian restauran Oliva, ZagrebPizza Oliva from Italian restauran Oliva, Zagreb

KlepeKlepe

KaptolKaptol

going uphillgoing uphill

A night in Zagreb

by mirchica

We'll be passing through Zagreb in October and plan to stay there for the night. We'll probably arrive around 18h on Sunday evening and we'll stay into a ho(s)tel in the center(still don't know where). My question is if there is no parking area in the ho(s)tel,can we leave the car at a parking in the center for the night and how much it would cost us?
Also could you recommend me what to do in the evening - sightseeing or bar or...whatever interesting?

Re: A night in Zagreb

by diocletianvs

It is quite unlikely that a hostel will have a parking, especially centrally located ones. Central area of Zagreb is divided into parking zones and the problem is not only that they charge 12 kunas/hour but there is also a time limit: you are allowed to stay max. 1 hour in the 1st parking zone, max 2 hours in the 2nd. Parking is not charged on Sundays so you can park freely on the street but remember that they'll start charging on Monday morning at 7am and unless you want a ticket you'll have to leave before 8am.

The best thing is probably to park in one of the public garages - they don't have time limits and they charge lower rates overnight between 18 and 8 hours (4 kunas per hour - a bit more that 0,5 Eur).
You will find a map of public garages on the following link:

(If you know Bulgarian then a Croatian shouldn't be a huge problem for you :)

For the evening, the best is probably to stroll through the center of town and have a drink in one of the cafes in Tkalciceva street.

Travel Tips for Zagreb

Smell of freedom

by Tasia

That was the most horrible travelling experience which i had throught teh all my life!
I still can't believe that it happend to me!
I decided to go for a weekend to Croatia, and as far as i know Belorussians don't need a visa if they have a voucher or a reservation from teh hotel.I got in the contry withought any problems.The most funny things started to appear in the evening, when 2 policemen came and took me like a criminal to the police station, i was shoked.They provide the wrong information to my friends and gave them the wrong address and phone number of that police station.I guess it was made in a purpose.They lied all the time!I was scarried.I sit togeather with criminals from 21.00 untill 1.30 withought detiled explanation, untill the translator came.This hours were like internity for me.
After the translator came I had a convirsation, if i can name that in such a friendly way with policeman.I was told that next day they would jadge me in their court!!!!!I was shoked again!How?First they let me in ,and then just decide to make a joke on me!?!!!!I felt myself horrible, i got a noce bleeding and terrible headache!At 3.00 they brought me to the jail, i still can't believe and i spent there the rest of the night.
In the morning we went to the court where i was informed that if i want to have a advocate i have to pay, and they said also that if i want to make a call it can be just to somebody inside of the country....When my friends try to call to the policestation all the time they got the wrong information about that "i am already free and so on..."After the court they brought me to the Ministry of iligal migration, and there i spent 2 hours or so, and man who talked to me speaked a really bad English...
So my conclusions are:
we are not free at all
we can always become a victims of somebodies wish, or just coinsedently
it damajed my mind alot
i am afraid of further travelling
and it have to pass some time before i will be friendly again to other nations

Walk the boulevards and squares

by zrim

This pretty sidewalk scene is at Trg Nikole Subica Zrinskog which is part of a vast series of squares and boulevards that extends from the train station to the central square (Trg bana Josipa Jelacica). I would like to see it in the spring when the leaves first start coming out and the flowers poke their heads above ground.

Very hot during the summer!

by dbrener

In the last few years, the summers in Zagreb have been incredibly hot! We're speaking 35 C here, and in the city, it gets really unbearable. Take a lot of water with you and a dip in Jarun if you by any means can, the water is carefully treated so it's a relatively good experience!

The Matos bench

by roza_hr

A.G. Matos was one of Croatia's most famous writers. Born in 1873 and died in 1914, he witnessed the important political, cultural and social changes which happened at the turn of the century. Some of his most beautiful poems were dedicated to the city of Zagreb, and in his memory a sculpture of him sitting at the bench was placed in one of the nicest parts of town with the great view over the city, Strossmayer's promenade in Upper Town, so he could look over Zagreb forever. Sit next to him for a moment and share the view.

Colorful and photogenic

by acemj

I love it when I go to a place that doesn't get enough credit. I mean, how many people are in their North American offices talking about planning a trip to that hot spot in southeastern Europe, full of cafes and architectural magnificence known as Zagreb? Uhhhhh. I spend the majority of my days in a North American office, and I've never heard that conversation. So, when I arrived and began to explore, I had to tell my local VT friends that they were lucky to live in such a beautiful place. Niksa and I had a conversation about this. We were walking in the Upper Town and I was gazing around at the hilly, stone streets, the charming buildings and a small passageway that led to a stairway that is a shortcut to the Lower Town. It was all amazing to me. Like stepping into another time. Of course, Niksa was just walking down the street as he had done a thousand times and we started talking about how we tend to love to see things that we're not normally accustomed to at home. For him, it's the more modern architecture that he loves and for me, I love the elegance of the old.

Comments