18 Trnjanske Ledine 2, Trnje, Zagreb, 10000, Croatia

Booking.com Hostelworld.com Priceline.com

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Friendly Fala

While the Fala had not been our first choice there is a story here. First of all the hotel is not in central Zagreb, but rather on one of the main streets going south out of the city on what used to be the main highway. But it is clean and quiet even though it is adjacent to the highway.

Unique Quality: What was so great about the hotel was the managers daughter Martina (aside from the beautiful name of course ;O). The second day we were at the hotel, I went downstairs to have a cup of coffee and look over some prospects till Tal and Zohara woke up. As I was sitting there I asked Martina a question about one of the spots in Zagreb. She stayed with me for an hour giving me pointers and she continued to be extremely helpful for the three days we were there.

• FRONA's Profile Photo

Affordable and nice!

Is located on the crossing of the highway and bridge across river Sava that connects North and South Zagreb. Eventhough so, it is indeed nice and quiet! It advantage - large parking and central location. The inside is quite nice, I love the large open space leading to the rooms on the 1st floor. Family running it is very nice and friendly and you can ring the doorbell any time of day or night!

Unique Quality: Nice price and pleasant personnel.

Directions: Near the main Highway, Slavonka Avenue

More about Zagreb

Croatian National TheatreCroatian National Theatre

Walking around ZagrebWalking around Zagreb

Zagreb's train stationZagreb's train station

entranceentrance

Rent a car in Zagreb

by Guelena

Hello! I have a plan to fly to Zagreb in June then rent a car and drive to Split. Can you recomend a place where I can rent a car ( s/be automatic ). What about the aeroport, is it a good place to rent?
I'm also is looking for a place to stay around Split. I want to spend a quite time with parents, havn't seen them for 2 years....:) We are going to meet each other in Zagreb then spend a week together.

Guelena

Re: Rent a car in Zagreb

by GyuriFT

Re-posting my past experience with Hungary, Croatia could be the same, worth to try!

----------

My experience was pretty much positive - but I learned the trick by accident.
Few years ago my dad in Hungary passed away and I inherited a small, neat looking brand new fully loaded red Opel Astra.

What can a "Yank" do with an Opel Astra? All our life we had pretty SUBSTANTIAL cars to say the least.
I was looking at that thing... I did drive it a bit but ultimately we decided that it's just not the thing we can drive at all. After much investigation and negotiations I ultimately sold the car to an Opel dealership.

Normally I sell my cars to private party - but in Hungary people want to buy on credit and it's not realistic to sell a brand new Opel privately unless before X'mas.

After I sold the car I discovered, the Opel dealership not just sells cars - they also RENT them!

Almost every new car dealership in East/Central/South Europe does that and the price is much lower than renting the car from international companies like Hertz/Avis/etc.

An other bonus: the car dealerships more often have automatic cars than the rental companies and usually taking the car to a foreign country is not a problem.

I did need an automatic station wagon later on before my cars did arrive from America. I went to the dealership where I sold my Opel... and voila, they gave me an Skoda Roomster for 50 Euro/day, automatic. All they told me that if I want to drive to Ukraine I need a special permit, other countries were fine.

The dealership in question is Opel Schmidt in Budapest - but I would be surprised if in Slovenia or Croatia the situation wouldn't be the same.

All you need is to find Opel, Reanult, etc. dealerships in the area and call/e-mail them.

Re: Rent a car in Zagreb

by loonytoon01

Hi, there are rent-a-car companies at the airport. But, I do recommend checking the internet first as you might get a better price when booking ahead. I do have to tell you that renting a car in Croatia would definitely be more expensive than in the States or Europe. As for finding an apartment in Split- there are numerous places and you can book something ahead or just show up. June's not that busy yet. If I think of any place in Split, I'll let you know. Also, if you find something and want to know where exactly it is (maps of unknown places don't tell us much)- send me a message.

Travel Tips for Zagreb

I had no idea...

by KonstantinII

...but aparently people in Zagreb, and in Croatia in general, are "mad" about Serbian folk music.

I wish the days when clubs as "Kulusic" and others in Zagreb, just like SKC in Belgrade, were working well are back.
Till then we'll just have to deal with these horrible consequences of war.

Turbo-Folk here we come!!!!! ;o)

The city centre

by jacob_m

Zagreb is a nice and clean city with some old parts too. Many people might associate Zagreb directly with the war in the 90's (becuase of the location at the Balkans) but there are absolutely no signs of any wars.
The city centre is not too large which means you can walk to most places, there is however a large network of trams.

Ban Jelacic

by roza_hr

Just like in every town in Italy there is a Garibaldi street, there is probably a ban Jelacic street (or square) in every town in Croatia. Perhaps the most famous and popular historical person in Croatia, ban Jelacic was a Croatian nobleman and an Austrian general under whose reign Croatia became united for the first time after being torn between 5 different countries for centuries. He abolished the feudal system in 1848 and promoted Croatian autonomy within the Austro-Hungarian state. His name was Josip Jelacic, and the title 'ban' related to his title of duke, or vice-king, the most important position in old Croatian political system - something like prime minister today.
He is celebrated in songs and poems, sculptures and paintings, and the largest square in Zagreb bears the name of ban Jelacic. The ban Jelacic monument was made in 1866 by Austrian artist Anton Dominik Fernkorn. It was placed at the main square and for many years it symbolised Croatian national pride and heroic spirit. It remained there until 1947, when it was secretly taken away by the communist government that found it ideologically unsound. It was dismantled and meant to be destroyed, however it was saved by dr. Antun Bauer, the manager of Gliptoteka gallery, who kept it hidden in the basement of his gallery for almost 50 years.

When Croatia regained its independence in early '90's, the statue was returned to its original position at the main square in Zagreb, much to the delight of people of Zagreb and all of Croatia.

Gornji grad

by Daja123

Gradec or Gornji grad (the Upper Town) was proclaimed a free and royal city in 1242. Some remains of the ramparts that once surrounded the city are still visible.
The Baroque reconstructions that the city underwent in the 17th and 18th century changed the shape of Gradec. In 1890 the two separate units, Kaptol and Gradec have been unificationed into the united city of Zagreb.

City and river

by Imbi

Like other big European cities Zagreb also has a river. Unusually for a city with a river, the water has never been the focal point. The river Sava is to the south of the centre, separating the unattractive modern suburb of Novi Zagreb from the Zagreb that the tourists come to see. The lower town, Donji Grad is the liveliest district, while the government and administrative buildings are spread across the two hills of Kaptol and Gradec in the historic Gornji Grad, or upper town

Comments