Hotel Holiday Zagreb

Walking around ZagrebWalking around Zagreb

1 spire under renovation1 spire under renovation

Trains

by wise23girl

Does the train from Zagreb to Belgrade go every day of the week?

We want to arrive on 23rd May 2011

Thanks to GyuriFT I have noted to take a midnight sleeper.

Thanks

by yvr

There are three trains that depart Zagreb on May 23 for Belgrade that will have you there the same day.

0602 arrive 1218
1103 arrive 1706
1725 arrive 2328

You can also get discounted tickets on the DB web site up to 92 days prior to departure. You will need a credit card to do this, you can then print out your e-tickets. You must bring with you the credit card that you purchased your tickets with.

by K_V_B

The DB website will not sell you homeprint discount tickets for trips that don't involve it's trains, so you can't use it to book Zagreb - Belgrade, even though they do show a schedule.
But there is no reason why you shouldn't just buy your ticket in Zagreb...

by GyuriFT

1) The German HAFAS database is good - except former Soviet Union and former Yugoslavia (and some regional trains here and there). Thus, I would not rely on the DB for even schedules between Croatia and Serbia.

Even now (in the shoulder season) there are four, not three trains as one of the previous posters did find:

2) Buying Croatia-Serbia ticket from DB by e-mail is in theory possible, even if that ticket is not in their web shop. We did it once, the ticket has to be requested by e-mail and the procedure is not that straightforward. In this case this would be just an "opportunity" to lose about 24 Euro for no apparent reason: 3 Euro for postage, 21.8 Euro for the lost discount Germans can't apply but Croatians will apply all the time.

Example:

Locally bought Vinkovci-Beigrad ticket with HZ-ZS discount is 60 Kuna or 8.1 Euro.

The standard international tariff for the very same thing is 16.20 Euro - twice as expensive:

In that spirit, the Zagreb - Beograd ticket in Zagreb would cost 21.8 Euro, buying it via German Rail would cost 43.60 Euro + 3 Euro postage.

Neither ticket does guarantee a seat, these are "just" tickets, the trains COULD be reserved (if anyone wants) but in most cases the seat reservation is just a lost 3 Euro: the trains aren't full.

Except, of course, the sleeper - the sleeper surcharge is 20 Euro/person and you will have sleepers on the overnight train.

Hence: really nothing to worry about. It's a very worry-free procedure, best to arrange a day before the travel.

by GyuriFT

Forgot to add: the trains in question are daily. So even now you have 4 trains / day, in May there could be more because of the season. But at least these four.

by wise23girl

Thanks everyone...I trust the thumbs up will show.

Travel Tips for Zagreb

ZAGREB IN YOUR POCKET

by sabsi

You have arrived in Zagreb and you don't know what to do because there aren't really many guide books available about the city? Then go to the tourist information at Jelacic Square and ask for a copy of "Zagreb in your Pocket". If you are lucky they have one and like this you get the best guide to sights, nightlife and restaurants for free. Sometimes they run out of copies though. To be on the safe side you can also read it online here: www.inyourpocket.com/croatia/city/zagreb.html

Lower Town Grandeur

by acemj

Zagreb is full of the impressive architecture that old European capitals are known for, so why don't more people visit? Hmmm. I have no idea why it's not a more popular place. From the church steeples of the Upper Town to the Habsburg-era masterpieces of the Lower Town, Zagreb is blessed with great buildings. This is a photo of the Arts Pavilion (Umjetnicki paviljon) in Strossmayerov trg, a square between the train station and the city's main square, Trg bana Jelacica.

Enjoy the great open squares...

by richiecdisc

Enjoy the great open squares that make the big city seem more a town with a great relaxed feel. I have to admit that I had never heard of Zagreb, let alone had any desire to go there, but when I was planning my last trip to Slovenia and Poland, I wanted to stop in Budapest, and Zagreb lay right in between Ljubljana and the Hungarian capital. Add to this, a VT friend, Goran, willing to put me up for a few days and show me the sights, and it was again, an offer I could not refuse. I arrived in Zagreb at noon and it was a glorious sunny day. I wanted to just check my bag and go on a photo shoot but I had made plans to meet Goran and knew he would be waiting anxiously at the next station so I got on the next train like a good boy, all the time thinking I would get back into town the next day. After a long day of what seemed a waste of time to me but an integral part of what was transpiring there, we did not arrive until nightfall, too late for photos. We did however get to the local brewpub, which was surprisingly good. With VTer Lionel and his girlfriend, we enjoyed a great meal and countless beers but eventually, they took off to leave Goran and I to enjoy a few more and what turned out to be a crucial discussion in our friendship. I had debated on coming to Eastern Europe after the terrorist acts of September 11th, not because I feared for my life, but that I would not be able to voice my opinions without looking arrogant. There were certainly some anti-American sentiments concerning our intervention in Bosnia and it was pointed out to me on a number of occasions that perhaps the US “deserved” this as a payback for our attempted colonization of the world. Obviously, that did not sit well with me, but I held my tongue to avoid confrontation. Fact is, I never paid much attention to politics. All I do know is I never heard of Bosnia prior to the war there. I am sure that none of my friends had either. Not one of us would have okayed our government sending troops there. Most people in the US would rather spend our money closer to home, where we have our own homeless problem and people starving in the streets. After a few more beers, Goran was giving me a political science lesson on how the US had been strategically “taking over the world” and I politely listened as he scribbled notes for what seemed like hours on the back of his paper placemat. We grew more and more intoxicated with the homebrew and a neighboring table of South American exchange students’ loud conversing only made our discourse more forceful and eventually heated. Part of his theory was the forcing of everyone to speak English with our lack in trying to speak any other languages. I had felt more or less inadequate on that part the last few weeks after hanging out with countless people who were multi-lingual so this didn’t make me feel any better about it. Finally and surely directly related to the beers we had drunk, I could take no more. I went off on a tirade in pseudo Spanish, mustering all of my high school studies and a four-year-old trip to Chile, which centered on the size of my new professor’s “cabeza.” Goran was caught off guard with my newfound passion and excited ramblings. It was short-lived and soon we were back to our beers and laughing a bit about my silliness but in some ways, he never treated me quite the same. I think he finally realized that I had some ideas of my own too and that I would not just sit and listen intently to his without voicing them any longer and I think he respected that and me finally. We had gone beyond mere acquaintances and become friends. The next day, I gave in and went to Plitvicka Lakes instead of going to Zagreb and was happy I did. I stayed an extra day and went into Zagreb on my own to take some photos. It was not what I had planned but sometimes the plans made for you are even better than your own.

The Stately Architecture

by zrim

Zagreb is a city of stately European architecture. It reminds me very much of Vienna and it is not surprising that Zagreb was part of the Hapsburg empire prior to Worl War I.

This impressive corner building is just northwest of the train station.

Parks

by antistar

The parks of Zagreb are one of its finest assets, especially the parks that run from the main train station to the central Ban Jelanica Square. My particular favourite was this little enclosed park just off the main drag in Kaptol. It's so small it doesn't even have a name on most maps. Here you can sit in the silence and shade of the trees looking at the houses as they tumble down from Gradec up above.

Comments