102 Ilica, Gornji Grad, Zagreb, 10000, Croatia

Booking.com Priceline.com Otel.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• A very bad experience

We booked a room at the hotel ilica. The amount was 399 kunas (as written on their website and as confirmed in an e-mail they sent us), which is pretty cheap for the centre of Zagreb...but we could not stay at this hotel. After having spent a few hours in the room of our hotel (which was not very clean), we came down to the lobby to pay. We were asked a higher price (15 euros more) than the 399 kunas. When we asked politely for explanations, we were told that we had to leave the hotel, and we were insulted (xenophobic comments on French people), threatened (the manager threatened to throw our luggage away if we did not leave immediately) and thrown out, with no rational explanations. At 20.30 pm, we had to look for a new hotel in Zagreb. We went to the tourist office of Zagreb and they told us that something similar happened two days ago, that they know how this hotel has to be avoided.

Unique Quality: the location is ok

• mickdevine's Profile Photo

A Hotel Lonely Planet Got Wrong

For some strange reason, probably timidity, I stayed at Hotel Ilica twice. Each time they kept my passport and refused to give it back to me until I paid the full amount owed for my room. The decor is postWW2 kitsch, the desk help is surly, and on both occasions I had to ask to change my room, as there was an indefinable smell. Prices are not great considering what you get -- around 80 Euro -- and there are hotels closer to the centre. Ilica isn't the most exciting street to be on, either--lots of traffic although it does lead into the centre.

Unique Quality: Smelly rooms.

Directions: Don't find it!

• mikey_e's Profile Photo

Gaudy but comfortable

Zagreb doesn't have suitable budget accomodation for those who want to stay cheaply but comfortably (i.e. pensions that are well-advertised). I stayed in Hotel Ilica, which is outside of the main central area, but still within walking distance and is of course on the Ilica tram line. The hotel was comfortable but quite showy. My room would have been nicer had they not tried to shove so many gilded knick-knacks into such a small place. Nevertheless, the bathroom was modern and functional, the bed was plush and comfortable and the breakfast was hearty. It was beyond my usual budget at almost 70 euro a night, but it was well worth it.

Unique Quality: Again, the cheap but pompous crap is the hallmark of the hotel. In truth, the good thing about the hotel is that, despite being on Ilica it is very quiet and I had no trouble falling asleep.

Directions: Go west on Ilica from the central square. You can also take tram 6

• Figbash's Profile Photo

Budget accommodation

This hotel on Ilica street is recommended in the budget sections of guides such as Lonely Planet. On arrival in Zagreb we checked in here and were given a double room in the annexe section at the rear – the room stank of cigarettes, was dark and dreary with half its lightbulbs blown and no light at all in the small shower room. It was 30 degrees Centigrade out and there was no air-conditioning or ceiling fan. Even with window and door open it was stifling and depressing – we checked out the next morning. Might be okay for shoestring travellers. Warning – cash only, no credit cards accepted!

More about Hotel Ilica

Don't listen to the bad reviews, Zagreb

by blint about Hotel Ilica

I had heard mixed reviews about the hotel but decided to book a double room anyway. While looking though the updated version of the Lonely Planet I noticed that it had moved from the budget section to the mid range although the price still seemed very reasonable as accommodation in Zagreb is normally unusually high. Upon arriving I noticed that it is now a 3 star hotel so the 499 kuna for a room seemed ever better than before.

I had heard the rooms were very small. My room was slightly small but had plenty of storage space and the bed was clean, there were two heaters, an en suite bathroom and Sat TV.

The room looked onto a house and someones garden.

Although I wouldn't call the room exactly 3 star I had nothing to complain about. Especially due to the very friendly staff who greeted me by name at the doorstep upon my first arrival and always remembered my room number there on in.

The decoration was not the most aesthetically pleasing but it wasn't ugly. My room number was 11 just in case that helps anyone.

Please note that if you visit the web site it is in Croatian, but it is still possible to navigate around it and reserve a room. A double room is dvoposteljna, a single room is jednoposteljna and an apartment is apartman. ime and prezime are your names. dolazak means from which date you will check in and odlazak check out. The months are in order from January until December.

Don't worry the staff speak excellent English.

Fresh Produce

by mikey_e about Open city markets

There is a small but still vibrant open air market on Ilica near Hotel Ilica (at around Ul. Ilica 100) that operates most days. You can find a wide variety of produce items here, although there will be heavy representation of whatever is in season when you're in Zagreb. There are also a few stands that have dried good and the like, so you needn't worry about buying only fresh fruit that will then bruise or go mushy if you're walking around in the heat. Fruits, vegetables, dried foods. Cheaper than a supermarket

Gad

by g-sali

We will visit Zagreb in mid September, How know about Zime or modorate hotel in or near by the city center? Thanks.

Re: Gad

by missyme

hi,

sent you an e-mail with info..
regards

Re: Gad

by zara01

HOtel Ilica in Zagreb.. it's not the Hilton but it was cheap, decent and right in the city centre

Comments