Zagreb Hotels

Our Members Say

• SEEuropeAri profile photo SEEuropeAri

Rooms Pleso: Best Airport Accommodations

Most flights out of Zagreb's airport are before 9AM. Rather than deal with the morning traffic and overpriced cabs, stay at Rooms Pleso. These were brand new and a great price. Turns out the family also rents cars if you want to take a swing around the Zagreb region. It is a great young family who runs this. It is a stone's throw from the airport front door.

• Related to: Business Travel, Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written October 18, 2011

• wise23girl profile photo wise23girl
  • Reviews: 745

Westin Hotel: Vaselimo se Vasem povratku

"We are looking forward to welcome you back" and they most certainly will if we are lucky enough to return to Zagreb.

Our room was very comfortable....pillows and bed just right. Spacious room. Maybe a little traffic noise but it did not bother me at all.

There is a bath and a safe and internet connection...free.

There is parking available and public transport very handy. The post office is across the road.

Railway about 15 to 20 minutes walk.

For a hotel of this quality " 4 star "the price is average. But prices vary with the season...check it out .

Look at the photo ot a painting in the hallway....Quite intriguing...what are they I wonder.

There is a Hair and Beauty salon in the lobby...a gift shop with souvineers and a genuine Croatian gift shop as well with jewellry. scarves ,chocolates...

And nearby if you want to "flutter" there is a Casino.

• Related to: Casino and Gambling, Museum Visits
  • Written May 21, 2011

Hotel Lounge

• ironmikie profile photo ironmikie

Pleska: Great Airport Hotel

My American colleagues and I have stayed at this family hotel near the Zagreb airport several times over the past 4 years. They have always taken our reservations and were prepared for our arrival, regardless of the time we arrived. The owner, Boris Muzek speaks English, friendly and helpful. Price of the hotel is very inexpensive - about 35Euro (300 Kuna), which includes breakfast. Rooms are clean, with large beds, satellite TV, radio and alarm clock, nice furnishings and private shower/toilet. The downstairs area is a local bar/coffee shop that in summer is mostly outside on the covered porch and in winter is inside a modern room. The dining room is fairly large and the breakfast is typical European but more than adequate for even a hardy eater. Unfortunately they do not serve other meals - but there is a very good Konoba restaurant a few hundred meters down the street with a very large menu selection at reasonable prices. One of the best features is that the owner Boris, or his wife or staff member will drive you to the airport terminal, even at 0500 for the first flight out in the morning and you can park your car in their secured parking area for the duration of your trip for free. Often we stayed there and flew out at Christmas time for 2-3 weeks in the US and the owner never complained and our vehicles were always undamaged. I highly recommend the hotel Pleska.

Free secure parking for your trip.

• Related to: Business Travel, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written September 19, 2009

• iaint profile photo iaint
  • Reviews: 1414

Best Western Astoria: very good place

Great location for me, 5 minute walk from the station.

Compact but well furnished room. No wifi, but they have 2 PCs in the lobby which are free to use.

Very helpful and friendly staff.

Breakfast was a large 5* buffet. Very good choice & quality.

It is 4* rated, and a real steal at the price.

First time I’ve come across remote control shutters which open as you open the room door – and presumably close automatically as you leave.

The only downside is the street it’s in is a bit dreich (Scottish for dull). Having said that, the gardens of the Strassmayerov trg, plus the Galerija Starih Majstora (Old Masters’ Gallery) are just round the corner.

A word of warning for the thirsty. Hotel only sells beer in 20cl bottles. Gone before you know it.

A word of warning for the hungry – the pizzeria across the street is a waste of time (literally). I sat for 10 minutes without anyone looking like serving, and then left to buy a slice of cold pizza & iced tea at the bakery next door. Had myself a picnic in the gardens.

Had dinner in the hotel restaurant one night – I was too tired to go out wandering the streets looking for dinner. They do a 3 course special for about €9.

I paid 713HRK midweek and only 573HRK on a Friday. Both include breakfast. Thats about £89 and £71 respectively.

comfort & value for money

• Related to: Museum Visits, Historical Travel, Business Travel
  • Written July 29, 2009

• kramer555 profile photo kramer555

Apartment AS: Private accommodation

I've really had it with all those hotels and wanted my peace and comfort of a flat so I looked for an apartment. I travel with my husband so we booked a smaller apartment - AS2 (they have also a bigger one, for 4 people). Apartments are new, they have got all modern appliances, nicely decorated, spotless, and near city center. We have stayed for 3 days and payed 180€.
Highly recommended!

• Written March 17, 2009

• sabsi profile photo sabsi
  • Reviews: 2815

Rooms Rea: AN AFFORDABLE DOUBLE ROOM

This was a new situation! As Niksa wouldn't be there when we were we suddenly needed a room in Zagreb. Not too easy to find one that is affordable, I tell ya! Accommodation prices in the capital are ruined by lots of business travellers so hotel prices are high. Luckily we found "Rooms Rea" and booked a room there.

Mario, a nice young guy who speaks good English, rents out three rooms in a big apartment with fully equipped kitchen and a big bathroom. We got the "beige room", the only one with ensuite toilet at no extra cost. It was clean and it had a telly (the only place we stayed in that had a (working) telly!). It also had A/C but we didn't switch it on. The toilet only has a folding door so you better know the person very well that you share this room with.

The house is located near Kvaternikov Trg, so the city centre is close and the next tram stop on Maksimirska is 3 minutes away. From there it takes between 5 and 10 minutes to Jelacic square. It's in a quiet street. The only noise that woke us up in the night was the guys collecting the garbage. Why do they do this at night?

If you like us arrive by car you can park it on the private grounds which is a really good thing. The house is easy to find, it's the only renovated house in Sermageova street. And it's very colourful orange/yellowish.

We paid 300 kn (approx. 40 EUR) for the room per night in May 2007.

• Written June 5, 2007

Rooms Rea, Zagreb

• catherineneill profile photo catherineneill
  • Reviews: 244

Pekas Apts: Pekas apartments

These guys saved us! Abandoned in Zagreb with no onward train, Pekas were the first we rand and they luckily had an apartment available. The manager basically rents out sweet old croatian ladies apartments, and we really enjoyed staying somewhere totally private. The apartment is dated, but who cares? It has everything you need, and a sweet little croatian lady who says 'zank you please' when she picks the keys up!

• Written June 3, 2007
Tip Photo

• cairenemonkey profile photo cairenemonkey
  • Reviews: 4

Best Western Hotel Astoria: An overlooked Zagreb hotel

This hotel seems to stay under the radar, and I am not sure why. It's in a great location, just a ten minute walk (and a very pleasant one at that if you walk along the horse-show shaped series of parks) to Ban Jelacic. Parking can be a hassle here, do be warned. There is a garage one block down with which the hotel offers reduced priced parking, and there's also street parking on the weekends, but this can be a challenge with the one-way roads and congestion. Beyond that, this hotel has most everything that could be desired (with the exception of a gym, a gym would have been nice...and free internet, but it was just a half kuna a minute, so I suppose that's not that bad). The rooms are tastefully appointed and have great views on the top floors (which also tend to be quieter) so that would be recommended. Also, the entire hotel was renovated in 2004, if I recall correctly. It's definitely a sure bet, and I would recommend it. Also, a good price relative to some of the others (and often not as nice) hotels in Zagreb.

The staff really makes this place special. It's a bit overly-glitzy in the lobby and in the bar, but the staff of the hotel are willing to help you find, contact and do whatever with ease. The breakfast offered in the morning is excellent, turn-down service was also a nice surprise as was finding out (on our last day unfortunately) of the comprehensive, brand new business center on the ground floor which guests are free to use. It comes complete with computers and printers and the like, and we took advantage of this to print boarding passes.

• Written January 8, 2007

• Tasia profile photo Tasia
  • Reviews: 71

10 star hotel: 10 star hotel, the best in the whole Croatia

That was the most horrible travelling experience which i had throught teh all my life!
I still can't believe that it happend to me!
I decided to go for a weekend to Croatia, and as far as i know Belorussians don't need a visa if they have a voucher or a reservation from teh hotel.I got in the contry withought any problems.The most funny things started to appear in the evening, when 2 policemen came and took me like a criminal to the police station, i was shoked.They provide the wrong information to my friends and gave them the wrong address and phone number of that police station.I guess it was made in a purpose.They lied all the time!I was scarried.I sit togeather with criminals from 21.00 untill 1.30 withought detiled explanation, untill the translator came.This hours were like internity for me.
After the translator came I had a convirsation, if i can name that in such a friendly way with policeman.I was told that next day they would jadge me in their court!!!!!I was shoked again!How?First they let me in ,and then just decide to make a joke on me!?!!!!I felt myself horrible, i got a noce bleeding and terrible headache!At 3.00 they brought me to the jail, i still can't believe and i spent there the rest of the night.
In the morning we went to the court where i was informed that if i want to have a advocate i have to pay, and they said also that if i want to make a call it can be just to somebody inside of the country....When my friends try to call to the policestation all the time they got the wrong information about that "i am already free and so on..."After the court they brought me to the Ministry of iligal migration, and there i spent 2 hours or so, and man who talked to me speaked a really bad English...
So my conclusions are:
we are not free at all
we can always become a victims of somebodies wish, or just coinsedently
it damajed my mind alot
i am afraid of further travelling
and it have to pass some time before i will be friendly again to other nations

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written March 29, 2006

• croisbeauty profile photo croisbeauty
  • Reviews: 7357

Astoria: Newly reconstructed and recommendable

Hotel Astoria is recently completely reconstructed and offers excellent accomodation for resonable prices. It is situated right in the heart of the city and yet in a evry quiet and safe area. My business partners usually accomodating in this hotel over a several years now and they are very satisfied here.

Besides usual hotel facilities, WI-FI included, there is a nice restaurant in case one is too tired or if bad weather conditions to go out for a dinner. The hotel offer also free and secure parking place, exclusevely for the guests of the hotel. It isn't of less importance, quiet on the contrary, finding free parking place in the central parts of Zagreb is almost inpossible.

• Written January 10, 2006

Hotel Astoria

• Sambawalk profile photo Sambawalk
  • Reviews: 1601

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Omladinski Hotel (Hostel): Cheapest choice in town

The hostel is a close to the train station. Check out time is 9am. Room is ok but the shared bathroom is a bit ...... A room costs 170KN.

• Written December 2, 2005

• MadKiwiBeast profile photo MadKiwiBeast
  • Reviews: 42

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Omladinski Hostel: Croatias crappiest

Described in the lonely planet as "an auditory and visual challenge with maintenence issues" is too much an understatement, there is no kitchen, common room, internet etc, only facilities being bathrooms which in the case of the first floor have an unappealing aroma and on all floors are seriously in need of repair and are often running cold. However being that I am on a tight budget all this I can cope with - what finally turned me away was the sheer rudeness and hostility towards all guests from most of the staff and ridiculous rules, no coming downstairs to smoke or converse after 10pm - "go back to your room!" even tho your roomies are sleeping and worse.

The cleaner works hard.
Handy to center
Cheap
But really you are better to spend the extra euro or two and stay in the other hostel, details provided in another tip...

• Related to: Budget Travel, Museum Visits, Adventure Travel
  • Written June 28, 2005

• dbrener profile photo dbrener
  • Reviews: 54

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Studentski hostel "Petrinjska": modest, but cheap (in croatian terms)

Quite a cheap hostel in the centre of the city, practically 5 minutes from the main square. If you choose to go with 6-bedrooms, you'll have to put out about 10 euros, which is very cheap in croatian perspective. You won't get much of a comfort, but you'll have relatively polite staff at your disposal, as well as the vicinity of practically every thing worth seeing in Zagreb.

vicinity to the city centre, for sure. only the best hotels are closer, and you would probably pay 20 times more to stay at one of those

• Related to: Backpacking
  • Written June 27, 2005

• Boniek profile photo Boniek
  • Reviews: 70

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

I'll add the name soon....: Not the Hilton

What a kip....a dump...insects wouldn't stay there!!!

Firstly, It took us ages to find the place so best not to ask the tourist-office in the train station. She gave us directions that would have confused a compass!!!

Back to the hostel.....

The reception was drab and the guy that served us was a complete ***. He never smiled and was very, very rude to everyone. A group of four Australian lads just walked out after being treated like dirt. Even me, being Irish (I expect good manners everywhere I go), got a response that you'd give a mad dog when I asked if I could use my Credit Card.

What a ***..!!

The room was krap. Dirty, undecorated in years and smelly too. The beds were like something from a Victorian Prison and there was graffiti all over the walls. However when I read some of it I understood.....it was all bad comments about the hostel.

Seriously....stay somewhere else unless the Hostel federation (or whoever has the power) gets this place done up.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Trains
  • Written April 4, 2005

• sabsi profile photo sabsi
  • Reviews: 2815

Chez Nikša: THE BEST BED AND BREAKFAST

I found the nicest hotel you could imagine as Nikša invited me to stay at his place.

As this place isn't in a city centre location I could feel "local". I went grocery shopping at the market where locals buy their food, I was dependent on public transport as all the others, I basically stepped on grounds (or should I say in holes) where no tourist had stepped before.

Thank you Nikša for making this possible.

Delicious breakfast specialties, loud and hot water, green dinners made by an experienced chef, picture download and battery charging service, Croatian lessons, evening tea and a lot of laughs.

All this is included in the unbeatable price of 0 Kunas (which can be paid in chocolate btw ;)

• Opinion of Price: N/A