Villa Magdalena

More about Zagreb

Jelacic SquareJelacic Square

Walking around ZagrebWalking around Zagreb

IlicaIlica

Two happy studentsTwo happy students

Half a day in Zagreb

by bhaveshg20

We will be reaching Zagreb at about 4pm on 30th May and then have half-a-day at our disposal. Our hotel is in the city center. Next day we leave early for Plitivice National Park

1) Any tips on what to in the few hours that I have?

2) Any vegetarian restaurants that you may be aware of, or restaurants that serve some vegetarian dishes, specifically a mexican restaurant?

Thanks in advance

by Paisleypaul

We did Zagreb in about a half day, plenty to be done very central so I think the trick is not to go too far for any one point of interest. Please take a look for a suggested itinerary http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8ec24/5dcc2/

by planxty

There are several very good museums, I liked the Technical Museum (lots of planes, trains and automobiles!) although it may not be to everyone's liking. My favourite, however, was the City Museum. Also, a visit to the Cathedral is an absolute must, it really is very ompressive.

My Zagreb page gives fuller details.

If I can assist any further, please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

by bhaveshg20

Thanks a lot. I will get back to you with more questions.

by lanerunner

we did zagreb when we had to stop there for a few hours on the way back to vienna
we arrived at 2 in the afternoon and checked our bags to vienna
by 3pm we were on the bus from outside the airport and on our way to the city centre ( 30 kunas back in 2006)
it took about half an hour to get into the centre
we got off near the train station -m the main one - it is quite nice to have look inside

we wanted to find st marks church - a bit tricky so we had to ask lots of locals for directions

our lady of stonegate is nice too

there are lots of beggars in zagreb - quite bold
come up to you when youre sitting eating and point to their mouths indicating theyre hungry
or their ears indicating theyre deaf or whatever
kinda confronting if youre not used to it
i dont know if thats been cleaned up but just watch your gear

we were going to
catch the # 6 Tram back to the airport at ulica ivana talcica..'ulica' is street
but ended up catching a bus that only goes to the airport ( you can get off anywhere you like and we actually got off a bit too early and had to hot trot it )
we were back at the airport by 6 pm

so in three hours we got a taste of this homely town - it hardly feels like a capital - kinda feels like a country cousin of vienna
at least the food and the souvenirs gave that impression

Travel Tips for Zagreb

Ten feet above...

by polardabar

When you go around Zagreb (by foot, bike, tram - whatever), please do me a favor! Look up! There are so many amazing balconies, façades, windows, roofs etc. I often lift my head up to see something new & amazing & I've lived here my whole life! So, be smart & explore the world above your haircut! You'll like it! :) I took this photo of this great house with an even greater balcony a friend of mine showed me! Sometimes we sit on a bench right across that house & simply stare... It's located on the eastern side of King Tomislav square. Doesn't it look fabulous?! :)

Just have a cup of coffee, and...

by Malecka

Just have a cup of coffee, and enjoy the day loooking at the nice architecture. It offers a variety of beautiful exapmles of architecture, nice cafes, restaurants, shopping malls and parks...
In my opinion it is a city with great atmosphere... hope you like it too! Taking a walk down 'Ilica' st., just relaxing and taking it easy.

Great place to have a drink

by Zo72

Tkalča (Tkalčić street, pronounced Tkalcha) situated north of Jelačić square is the most beautiful street to have a drink in any of the cities I have been to. Period. It is bult in Bohemian style and it is great. If you come during summer it is muist see! Come here at any time of day to have a rest (and a beer ;) ).

Unfortunately this is autumn photo. :(

Money Exchange

by Imbi

Do not change your currency at the railway station as you could lose money. There is a currency exchange office right front of Trg bana Jelacica (central square). You will be better off.
Address !
Zeljenicko ugostiteljstvo
Tomislavov Trg 12
Zagreb They charge you 1.5% commision but still
you will be laughing.

Zagreb - Overview

by Martin_S.

This is an overview of Zagreb taken from the upper city, looking down into the center of town. It is amazing to think that this is shot in the middle of a modern city. The look of and feel of Zagreb is much more that of a friendly small town.

Comments