Atlantica Club Sungarden Hotel

46 Kryou Nerou Avenue, Ayia Napa, 5344, Cyprus
Despegar.com Hotelsclick.com

Costs 83% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Atlantica Club Sungarden Hotel

Had a great holiday, didnt want to come home. Karen from Liverpool

by TripAdvisor Member karen550

We are a family of four and had a weeks holiday in the Atlantica Sungarden Beach from 8th August and stayed in a junior suite. The rooms were a little small for four people and that is my only negative from this holiday.
The rooms were kept very clean, food was delicious, lots of choice and it was always hot. The staff are all friendly and eager to oblige and they make a big fuss over children.
On several occasions during the holiday we saw the manager of the hotel, he was regularly asking the guests if they were enjoying their holiday.
The "all inclusive" range of drinks were excellent, we particularly enjoyed the cocktails. The evening entertainment was fine, yes, most things were said in German but always repeated in english so we didnt see this as a problem.
We had read a few negative reviews before our holiday but are pleased to say that we had a great holiday, would happily have stayed another week and would recommend this hotel to others.

Exceeded expecttions

by TripAdvisor Member Blueangels

Location

On the outskirts of Ayia Napa away from the main night life. The walk into town takes about 15 minutes if you avoid the distraction of tourist shops which all seem to sell the same thing. An easy stroll as it is all downhill, the way back requires more effort!
The hotel is perched on top of a small cliff, the walk to the beach takes only a few minutes. The views are very good. You enter the hotel on the fourth floor. The reception is plain and compact and the staff very helpful.

Accomodation

Hotel is on five floors, our room was on 3rd and had a good sea view from balcony and overlooked two of the pools. If we had been on the second floor we would have had a balcony with two sunlongers as these are more spacious! Our room was below Meridian bar which some nights had entertainment. Fortunately this never went beyond midnight so no sleep was lost. Our room had double bed and two bed settees. There was a partition between double bed and kids bed settees with sliding door which was good to have.
Bathroom/ shower was compact but adequate. Safe facility available for hire and hair drier available plus TV. The room was well maintained but this was because the hotel had recently been refurbished. The cleaner was sometimes a bit prompt and twice tried to clean the room before 9am. Alas we were not up!

Restaurants

Is on ground floor overlooking swimming pool and sea and meals can be taken inside or outside. Called the Triantafylla restaurant and terrace the selection is by way of buffet and the choice I felt was very good, tasty and quality of a high standard. For a three star hotel I felt the food was beyond expectation. Although we were only there for a week I was pleased with variety and choice. Whether I would have said the same after a fortnight I may never know!!
Breakfast contained no surprises. Choice catered for everyone, whether cereal or cooked. Lunch and dinner were largely the same with themed nights at dinner. These may have been Asian, Cypriot or Italian etc. These usually meant there were 2 or 3 dishes from that region. Perhaps room for improvement by making more of an effort here. Eating outside meant you were competing for fresh air with the smokers which always irritates me when eating. But not half as much as those who think feeding a scrawny undernourished stray cat is to be encouraged. The hotel should take steps to eliminate this problem. Hygeneic it aint!! Drink service was by waitress/waiter. Usually very efficient but the staff did not convey any feeling of enjoyment in their work. SMILE!
Next to the main restaurant is the Mesogios Restaurant which is used for the A la carte offering. It is also used for wedding receptions. The mystery to me is why was it always empty. The food and atmosphere were good and if you visit, make sure you use your option to go. Each course had four choices and even my kids managed to find something!
Eating times were over a three hour period at each sitting which meant the restaurant was never over crowded.
Pool bars offerded usual snacks. Pizza, which never seemed to be readily vailable in restaurant could be had at pool bars. The quality was very good.

Bars

Meridian lobby bar on fourth floor offered option to sit outside or in was my preferred choice. Staff here were a bit better than elsewhere. Other main option was pool bar which was also next to restaurants and ampitheatre. Plastic cups here meant that this was always a poor choice of venue for a drink, the seating is also of the plastic variety. We were on the all inclusive option so I could not understand why we were always asked for a room number. I had a secret fear that we would be presented with a large bill on departure!! Fortunately this was not the case.
Choice of beers were Keo or Carlsberg, both palatable. Even the wine got pass marks! Good variety of cocktails too.

Entertainment

I was plesantly surprised by this. Not every night was miming to Grease etc and the outsoor ampitheatre was excellent venue for putting on a show. Usual mini disco fare for kids with the irritatingly catchy Badingoo song. This ampitheatre seemed to hold predominantly German language entertainment (was assured that these Germans were infact Swiss who spoke German). The English stuff was on the fourth floor in the Meridian Bar was never well attended. Cant complain too much as my son and daughter cornered the prizes here at the Bingo!!
Back at the ampitheatre one night had a magician who went on for too long. Another night had an innovative dance display which had me gasping in shock for daring to be different and enjoyable!

Pools and Beach

Three pools in total. The main two are adjacent to ground floor restaurant. Bit of competition here for sunbeds and quite busy at times. These are the nearest to the beach and the views overlooking sea and Ayia Napa are pleasant. The third pool is at the side of the hotel. This is large and where the traditional pool entertainment is. This area never seemed too busy and there was usually a sunbed or two to be had even after 10am. Swim up pool bar is here, always a good thing to have!
The beach was a short walk down a few steps. The sand was good the water lovely and warm but some seaweed which was irritating. Small and compact with plenty sunloungers and watersports available. Most enjoyable. Loungers and parasols only £1.50 each for day. Reasonable compared with other countries.

Cyprus

This is the third time we have been here and I have never been disappointed. As we were only here for a week we did not go on any trips out of Ayia Napa. We did walk into town a few times and there was a lot going on . If you like this sort of thing the Club Atlantica Sungarden will probably be too far away from the action. As far as I was concerned this was a huge plus! Ayia Napa as a resort is not very stimulating but the younger adults will no doubt love it. Plenty of bars and restaurants which always seemed lively. And there are the tourist shops. If you like to scoosh yourself with perfume then dont come here! Unlike Spain where every other shop seems to sell perfumes by the dozen, these seem conspicuous by their absence. What this says about Cypriots standard of hygiene I will leave you to decide!!

Summary

The hotel exceeded my expectations by some margin. The food was tastier than most and the atmosphere was very relaxing. For a three star hotel I felt it was better than many four star hotels I have been to. Would definately recommend this place and would not hesitate to go back.
The First Choice tour rep also gets Brownie points for recommending buying a local SIM card for the mobile. The rates are so cheap to phone home and text made it the best investment of the holiday.

great hotel but too many children

by TripAdvisor Member annecopenhagen

I just got home for a 14 days trip at the sungarden hotel, and we had all in all a great time. but I would wish we had only stayed there for 1 week I must admit.
CHECK IN: we arrived late, but had a great check in. the man in the reception was great and made us feel very welcome. we were offered drinks and sandwitch, that was very nice. we were very exited about the hotel.
THE BUFFET: we had the all inclusive, and it was great. a very huge buffet, morning, lunch and dinner - and in between as well. soo much great food, also great desserts. and you could drink everyhing you wanted - almost.
THE HOTEL: there are 5 floor, but the elevator was very slow. a nice pool area, but two many children for my taste ( okay I admit, had we known the hotel was a family hotel we would have chiosen another) two bars, a pool bar. it was great but again too many children at night time, and the same intertainmaint every night. got kind of annoying. another bar at 4th floor, witch was great. very great service, and the waiters are very nice and charming. the drinks were great but my freind thougt the were kind og strong.
THE GUESTS: many families, which is great if you are a family. but We would have hoped there would be a little more music and fun. but it was great anyway. most of the queste are from england and from germany.
All i in all we had a great trip, which I will never forget. but kind of far away from the city. but the hotel in it self is awsome. but not that great if you are single who come to party. there are other young quests, but not that much going on. but then you can just take a taxi downtown...
i will never forget the stay, GREAT

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JadeT2007

Have Just got back a week ago from this great hotel in ayia napa. I travelled with my parents and sister who had booked the holiday through thomson in febuary 07 on the all inclusive package.

The hotel itself is about 5 minute taxi ride into ayia napa and was very impressive. We arrived to a late check in at 11pm and was extrenly pleased when presented with an evening platter having missed that evenings meal. Overall the Food was really good with a huge selection. I must urge you if staying at this hotel to book the a la carte dinner which is available once a week for your stay. Drinks on the all inclusive also good choice, with cocktails, milkshakes, carlsberg and bottled water plus loads more.

The rooms were immaculate, modern and cleaned daily. Also free pool towels are provided for you, and changed three times a week, which we thought was a great idea.

The only slight downfalls to this hotel, and there always has to be a couple, was that sunbeds are scarce! Every morning my parents had to get up at 6.30 to reserve the beds because otherwise the germans took them all. We even witnessed a few fights over them, but obviously we did go in peak summer timeand so can understand the hotel was full, however If there wasnt any available the beach was just a 2min walk away. Also the entertaiment is generally aimed at the germans, austrains and other europeans, but i believe this will change as the hotel becomes more populated with english! However the staff were all very pleasant and helpfull.

Overall we really recomend this hotel for families, couples any one who wants to relax and have plently of food and drink in the gorgeous cyprus sun and we would defintly visit another Atlantica hotel.

Awful / non existent entertainment for British

by TripAdvisor Member Karenu

We stayed at the Sungarden last summer and decided to return this year. Primarily we returned to this hotel to attend the wedding of a couple we met at the hotel last year but also because we had such a great time here last year. We expected that the initial teething problems experienced last year (we travelled last July and the hotel had only re-opened under new management in April 2006) with regards to the entertainment would have been resolved and a full day and night time activity would be available this summer - how wrong we were!! Firstly, to reiterate previous comments, the hotel is (even though the management contest this) entirely segregated. The bias of German speaking to English speaking entertainment is probably 80/20. We paid over £2000 for an all-inclusive holiday, slightly more than last year therefore expecting more. We went with the intention of enjoying the entertainment and drinks at night up until 12 oclock, when the all inclusive bar and entertainment finishes, then going into Ayia Napa. The entertainment (if there was any) was so bad we often had our meal and went straight out without enjoying our all inclusive drinks in the hotel at night - perhaps this is the idea behind putting on a cypriot sax player in a so called disco bar and calling it entertainment, the 'free bar' was empty. We spoke with our Thomsons rep on 3 occassions to inform him of the lack of entertainment and activities for the British guests and his responses amongst others were, ''well what do you expect there are only about 20 rooms in the whole hotel that are English speaking'' and ''we didnt advertise an extensive entertainment program in the brochure''. So dont expect many changes in the forthcoming weeks. Overall the hotel rooms and location are excellent and unless you are travelling with a group and able to make your own entertainment I hope your holiday is not spoilt by the segregation and awful entertainment at this hotel. I have felt the need to write these comments as I have previously left messages on the forum following our holiday here last year but my opinions have now changed and we will not be returning to this hotel in the near future unless 'the cater for them and stuff the others'' attitude is dropped.

Dont Dare Complain and dont mention the war

by TripAdvisor Member thePubLandlord

a realy nice hotel in a fantastic location, but beware... dont take a greek translation book .... take a german one, every thing is geared to Germans... all of the entertainment is in German.. so no good for English children,
dont complain to the Manager ( Des Lynam look alike ) about anything...
my wife who is a very quiet person went to complain about an issue which I wont bore you about, an was told if she did not leave his office he would call the police an have her arrested,
we complained to the first choice office, who made an official complaint in writing that he manager had to sign, spoilt our holiday

A great hotel but...

by TripAdvisor Member reveldevil

We stayed at this hotel recently, and found it to be a good value for money holiday.
The hotel itself is very nice, as were all the staff.
Food very good for this type of hotel, plenty of choice apart from the chefs show cooking which was always the same 3 things, none of which was enticing, however the a la carte restaurant more than made up for this.
Pool areas nice and clean and always enough beds - pool bar staff very good too.
Upstairs bar very good also, and nice to be served in a proper glass, unlike most all-inclusive hotels we've been to.
Entertainment varied between poor and very poor - not enough effort made.
The only downside to the entire holiday was the segregation of nationalities - if i was german speaking I would come back year after year! Do not expect a kids club or any daytime activities - this was v. dissapointing for a so-called premier families prop.

Food was never hot.

by TripAdvisor Member S1lver

I have found it really difficult to write this review because there were so many pros and cons for this hotel - but here we go.

Room - small and there was not any storage to put your suitcases, sharing with two children was quite a problem, our sheets were only changed twice and that was only because we complained, but overall it was clean and fresh and had a sea view.

Food - We loved the first couple of days eating really well, but after that the same thing kept turning up disguised in different sauces to suit the themed night i.e.: Sweet and sour chicken, Tandoori Chicken and it was never hot, however we really enjoyed the a la carte restaurant you can use once a week during your stay. I must say at this point the staff are brilliant they work really hard taking your plates away as soon as you have put your knife and fork down and serving drinks at the table.

Pools - We never sat round the pool it was just too hot we sat in the garden part overlooking the sea it was always breezy there and lots going on out to sea, there are 2 pools both of a good size we used the main pool purely because it was nearer to the beach.

Entertainment - Yes well don’t come here if you have small children wanting a kids club unless they are fluent in German. The night time entertainment for the English was upstairs in the bar which consisted of a singer, and the Germans had the big outside theatre, we went down there once but because it’s all spoken in German it was pointless. I heard it was going to get better next year so that would be a bonus.

The hotel itself is lovely I could not fault the cleanliness; the staff we found were great and always friendly. The All inclusive drinks menu is very generous make sure you take full advantage.
The location is good we often walked into Aiya Napa in the evening and either walked back along the beach or got a taxi cost about 3-5 pounds.

I must end by saying I was worried about the reviews on this hotel re the German guests taking over the hotel, they don’t acknowledge you and I found them very rude but we just laughed about it with fellow English quests and got on with our holiday.

very disapointed with the kids club

by TripAdvisor Member lorraine3

as a family of 5 with 3 children aged 3 to 8 i spent ages looking for a hotel with a kids club as most only accept children from 4 years. was very excited about holiday as booked 18mnths in advance so could save up to pay for it,, hotel was excellent food excellent staff excellent however very dissapointed with kids club.. it was run by a german team who made no effort to speak english all the kids shows were spoken in german so therefore only had german kids in very disspointing even the family disco was all german and the reps did not explain in english what the actions were during the songs. there were 20 complaints in one week from englsih parents about the kids club will not recommend this hotel

Absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member lovingcyprus

WOW!!! I don't know where to start! Me and my husband and our little girl who is 3 have just returned home after an absolutely amazing holiday! We were on our honeymoon and also take half of our family with us! There was 15 in total and we all agreeded what a fantastic hotel it was!

ROOMS
Our room was lovely...very spacious and clean with a lovely sea view and also one of the pools!

MAIDS
Came everyday.....

FOOD
Where to start....Breakfast was sausages, eggs, bacon etc...cold meat fresh fruit, bread, waffles, ceral and ICE-CREAM!!! Lunch was often salad, chips, pasta all sorts really. Dinner was good as they had themed nights from Italian nitghts to greek nights. You can also eat in the a la carte restaurant once a week..this was nice as it was nice to be waited on...as all of the above in buffet style.

DRINKS!
Fantastic selection....beers, house spirits, fruit juice cocktails etc etc!

Entertainment
We felt this was the only let down of the holiday as it was all aimed at Germans.....But being in such a big group we had our own fun! I must say the 1 english act was Shania Twain tribute and she was fantastic!

OTHER
All in all, everything was great...2 pools with swim up bars, parks and sand pits for the kids, staff very friendly...especially connie at reception and our favourite was Aknes. Location was nice and quiet and you can get in a taxi that will take you to town or the harbour for £4.00. 2 shops across the road that sell lots of english things if you get withdrawal symptons!

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did and this review helps!

Comments