Bilfer Palm Beach

More about Famagusta

memorial, Famagusta, Cyprus 2010memorial, Famagusta, Cyprus 2010

Port, Famagusta, Cyprus 2010Port, Famagusta, Cyprus 2010

Land Gate, Famagusta, Cyprus 2010Land Gate, Famagusta, Cyprus 2010

Victory Monument, Famagusta, Cyprus 2010Victory Monument, Famagusta, Cyprus 2010

accomodationfor one month maybe two,

by holidaychris

ive been trying to book either self catering or reasonably priced accom in magusa for single traveller for one month anyone have any suggestions. also hotel accom. but not too expensive replys wold be great

Re: accomodationfor one month maybe two,

by oleksa

Hi. 5 years ago I stayed in a hotel called Altin Tabya. The address is Altin Tabya Sokak (which is inside the old town walls). I guess, it might be a good option given that you are planning to stay that long. The guy who runs the place is called Erol (I hope he is still OK). He is one of the very few old Cypriots there. I think he was there when Cyprus was still British. He speaks an impeccable English which again is quite rare there - be ready to learn some Turkish to survive - even taxi drivers often have no English at all.

The hotel is quite basic, but clean and has everything you need - I mean bathroom+toilet and, I think, television. The price was ridiculously cheap - can't remember exactly, but it was something like 4-6 dollars per person (I was there with a friend) including breakfast. The old town is located about half an hours walk to the beach. So, if it is your concern you might want to find another place. I hope this is helpful.

Travel Tips for Famagusta

Kemal Ataturk

by call_me_rhia

Kemal Ataturk, the founder of the Turkish Republic, is a well-known name and face in the Turkish Cypriot side, and you may see many monumensts dedicated to him. The largest of such is in Famagusta, in the new town, at the roundabout nearest to the Land Gate tleading to the old city.

His head is the one that appearears on top of the monument, the largest head in a monument full of people and heads. While North Cyprus is not exactly Turkey, it is clear that most people would like it to be so.

Namik Kemal

by call_me_rhia

Namik Kemal (1840-1888), was a Turkish nationalist poet and novelist, who had spent 38 month in Famagusta - not exactly as a resident but rather as an exiled person - which meant that he was imprisoned, starting from 9 April 1873.

His horrifying crime? Apparently one of his plays, 'Vatan or Silistre', performed at Gedik Pasha Theatre in Istanbul on 1 April 1873. You can see his bust next to the mosque in the main square, which was named after him, Namik Kemal Meydani

Maras - Varosia, the forbidden city

by call_me_rhia

Maras (also known as Varosia) is Famagusta's the forbidden city - a city within a city, uninhabited, abandoned, deserted, closed off to people, locals and visitors alike. Once upon a time in this area of town there was a thriving and wealthy Greek community - then in 1974 before the advancing Turkish Army they fled to the south and never returned.

I'm not sure this is the real story behind it... the area is sealed off with barbed wire, photography is not allowed and its streets cannot be walked, but you can stand by the "allowed" side of the fence and look into it. We saw houses with plates and glasses seen on the tables, and an old battered suitcase left on a window, as if someone was leaving in a hurry and had decided carrying his/her own suitcase would have slowed their escape.

Maras has left me puzzled. We did not see anyone near the area, except a few children from a nearby house, an old man and three UN vehicles. Despite begin a safe place, I felt very much uncomfortable and was longing to get away from it... something in the recent present went awfully wrong there, and I have the feeling that the stories told, by both sides, are hiding something... something I may not want to know.

Don't miss the Roman bits!

by leics

It would be easy to walk through the site of the Venetian governor's palace (opposite the cathedral), now gardens, without noticing the various Roman statues and carvings dotted about.

I imagine they all came from ancient Salamis, which is hardly any distance away up the coast.

The sarcophagus is particularly well-carved.

The Church of St George of the Greeks

by leics

With three apses, this Byzantine/Gothic church is well on the way to disintegration.....sadly.

You can wander inside, although the ground is rough.

Faintly, on the western wall, you may see the remains of a Crucifixion fresco. And, under the dome, a ghostly glimpse of what glories were once painted there.

Look up, and you will see terracotta amphorae were incorporated into the building structmre. One theory suggests this was to enhance the acoustics, another that it aided the structure by adding strength without weight.

I have no idea which is correct, although I like the acoustic idea...I have seen similar amphorae incorporated into the Circo Massimo in Rome, and my archaeolofy lecturer told me it was to enhance the roar of the crowd.

Who knows?

Hopefully, funds will come from somewhere to properly preserve this ancient church (and the others in Famagusta).

But I am not holding my breath.......

Comments