Salamis Road, Famagusta, Mersin 10, Cyprus

Satisfaction Average

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 50% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Famagusta

Othello’s Tower, Famagusta, Cyprus 2010Othello‚Äôs Tower, Famagusta, Cyprus 2010

St George of the Greeks, Famagusta, Cyprus 2010St George of the Greeks, Famagusta, Cyprus 2010

Sea Gate, Famagusta, Cyprus 2010Sea Gate, Famagusta, Cyprus 2010

Carmelite Church, Famagusta, Cyprus 2010Carmelite Church, Famagusta, Cyprus 2010

Visiting Famagusta

Hi,

I lived in Famagusta as a child for nearly 10 years, I am taking my daughter to paphos on Holiday this July and would love to take her to Famagusta to show her where I grew up.
Does anyone know how I go about it as I am aware it's in the "No Go Area" (If that's what it's called)
I've been told you can in fact take day trips there, however I cannot find any information on how to get access?

Can anyone help

Kind Regards

Barry

by george5b

You can go to Famagusta with no problems. Only the Varosha area (former hotel quarter) is closed off.

by mystelfi

Hi Barry, I live in Nicosia and I was born in Famagusta.
As far as I know it is not possible to enter the fenced part of Famagusta - military zone etc.

If what you heard about day trips is true, that would be great, but I seriously doubt it.

Anyone can confirm and give a hint?

by george5b

As far as I know there are no tours whatsoever to Varosha.

by chris1275

Hi,

You can easily go to the old town of Famagusta, as a day trip! Just go (by car) to the Agios Dometios crossing point, to cross over to the north part of Cyprus. Then follow the signs to "Gazimagusa" (Famagusta), which mainly involves travelling eastwards (just a long straight road) through the (dry) fields of Mesaoria. You will reach the old town of Famagusta in 30-40 minutes. The old town is beautiful, with lots to see. However, the "modern" part of Varosha, is off limits...
Good luck!

by bazza1958

Thanks to all of you who replied, unfortunately I do not Know what Verosha is? I just know it as Famagusta. When I lived there, there was a walled City, inside what I knew of as Famagusta, this was a Turkish settlement. I lived in a road called Oedipus Street in a flat above a Garage, and I also lived in a house in Glinka St, just up from a superb Restaurant called the Avenida. I can remember A large modern Hotel Clalled the Grecian Hotel on the Beach and the big Hotel on the far left of the beach by the rock pools was called the Constantinople.
If anyone knows of any of these, and knows if they're in this place called Verosha, maybe they would be nice enough to let me know.

by george5b

Varosha was the modern city, where most of Famagusta's hotels were located. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varosha_%28Famagusta%29 to get an idea.
This area is a firmly closed off military zone, with no day trips whatsoever unless you are on offcial business for the UN or the Turkish military.

George

Travel Tips for Famagusta

one city, many names

by call_me_rhia

Once upon a time, it was called Arsinoe, after Arsinoe II of Egypt, then in Greek Ammokhostos (hidden in sand) and then again Famagusta. The Turkes called it Gazi-Mağusa, or in short Mağusa - and by this na it is known now.

Throughout the centuries people from various countries came to this town: Lusignans, Palestinians, Italians (mainly from Venice and Genoa), Ottomans, the Brits and finally the Turks. Influences of all these people can be seen all over town, and - despite what guidebooks write - it's a real architectural delight. A town of many beauties, and mysteries. The old town is a place to see... with many old sights to enjoy, churches, mosques, shrines and the impressive Venetian walls. Then there is the new town, which is nothing spectacular but it's quite a pleasant place nevertheless... and finally Maras (Varosha) the ghost town, abandoned and sealed off by the UN - which was once the area inhabited by the Greek-cypriots. Not a pretty sight, but one that needs to be seen...

Famagusta is now a ghoust...

by marmite

Famagusta is now a ghoust town.Please take the time to find out what happened to the families of Famagusta.Take the time to find out what actualy happened there & how many people are still missing since 1974.Men women & children.If you have a heart you will realise after visiting Famagusta just how lucky you really are.The only way you can actually get in to Famagusta is to go to Nicosia green line & get a pass.

Poke around the cathedral courtyard.

by leics

It's worth spending a while poking about, because there are several interesting chunks of masonry dotted about the place, including a marble ?graveslab? which is propped on two small (possible ancient Roman) pillars. I couldn't read the inscription, as it is in Greek. I would not b surprised if some of the marble stonework came from ancient Salamis.

And if you look into the buildings adjoining the cathedral (used as storage areas) you'll see a wonderful wooden bier. I wonder if it's still used for funeral processions?

The building itself still has the remnants of some lovely Gothic carving.....much of that on the cathedral has been eroded away, or removed.

It's always worth poking about....you never know what you'll find! :-)

Aya Trias Bazilica: mosaics of 6th century A.D.

by om_212

On the way back from Apostolos Andreas Monastery (half way to Famagusta) we have noticed a path and a something resembling a sign leading to the ruins of the Aya Trias Basilica. it was dark, and we hardly could find the place. but looking for it was worth the effort.

there was the box office at the entrance, but since it was after hours, it was closed. well, the gate was not :)

inside we have discovered beautiful floor mosaics, floral and geometrical patterns, in unbelievably good condition (taking into account that lay open air, no coverage a top
of them. well, it doesn't rain often in Cypris, but still...

Poke around in the Citadel.

by leics

As ever, there are bits and pieces of interest to seek out, easily missed when looking at the grand scale.........

..........a store of unused cannonballs.......

......a beautifully carved shield, presumably Venetian.......

.......another carved shield, half destroyed........

.......such skilful arches in the roof, with a stone boss holding all in place.........

I'm sure there is more, if you take time to seek it out.

Comments