Cavo Maris Beach Hotel

Tags

Food and Dining Beaches Budget Travel
See Amenities
greekcypriot's Profile Photo

By far the Best Family Hotel in Protaras.

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 28, 2013

Where to start! The Cavo Maris has a 22 years history. I am back once again only because it happens to be one of my favourite and I consider it the #1 Family Hotel in Protaras. So nice each time to see familiar faces and friends around! Personally, with all my background experience of travelling and spending a quarter of a year in hotels, I consider the Cavo Maris a 4*hotel. It fulfils all the specifications of one such and exceeds by far many that claim to be four stars and they are not. A handicapped friendly hotel as well. I keep watching through the years the many changes, the achievements and high standards this hotel sets and I am impressed. Guests are treated like part of the family.

CHECK-IN: Efficient and swift. I arrived half an hour earlier but it was no trouble at all because I kept busy greeting friends and had the warmest of a welcome back.

STAFF/MANAGEMENT: A bunch of professionals, an unbeatable team. In fact the human side of this hotel is remarkable and makes the difference. A personalized service that you don’t need to be a repeater to feel it. You will come across guests kissing and hugging, exchanging little gifts they bring along from their homes for their friends –management and staff. I have heard and talked with people who have been back 17 to 20 times. If this is not remarkable, then what! Surely all these (40% repeaters some return twice a year) are not stupid. It is one of the few hotels that make me feel like returning home. A totally friendly atmosphere and if you really want to feel the warm touch of the Cypriot attention and hospitality (a commitment here) this is the right place to be. If the word-limit was not a problem I could go on and on.

LOCATION: I cannot think of a better one. Set on the outskirts of Protaras by a superb sandy cove away from noise disturbance, hustle & bustle and still so close to the centre. It is only a 15 minute pleasant walk to the Fig Tree Bay. Get by bus only for €1.50 to Protaras or Ayia Napa or anywhere in the district you wish. The reception staff will be more than helpful to give timetables.

ROOM: My #112 overlooked the stunning cove which is fabulous. I could not stop taking photos at intervals throughout the day because the view is exceedingly beautiful. The same scene has different reflections and colours as the day goes by and of course I would never miss the panoramic sunrise, where I would have the double glazed windows open and just sit and watch the sun rising from the sea. What a treat! It pays the little extras to have a sea view room.

The room was specious airy, bright, well equipped, spotless and fragrant. The management is lucky to have ladies like Nandia (Bulgarian) from the housekeeping. Energetic, hardworking and efficient. If you are lucky to meet her you will also have the same feeling. She would make my day with her good word and smile.

The bed was comfortable (single attached) and I had a good night sleep throughout the stay. Tea/Coffee facilities, a Mini bar & a Safe are provided upon request with very little actually. I use the mini bar only for cooling water but there is a water point in the corridor that provides this for free so you can get this any time. If I needed something I would call the room service. The price of everything is reasonable. I came across some reviews from people who make a fuss about these facilities. I believe as from the coming year though this problem will stop because everything will be included in the package. Be sure to check for the “Ultra All Inclusive” Pack.

I advise guests to let the management/reception staff know if something comes up instantly instead of waiting until they get home and write a negative comment. This can only break the spell of your holidays. The one and only concern of the people behind this hotel is to offer their guests the very best and memorable stay.
BREAKFAST: Rich, excellent quality and varied with everything you can think of.

LUNCH/DINNER: Local/Mediterranean cuisine, (meat/seafood) amazing salads, seasonal fruit and variety of dessert. Platters are replaced instantly and there is adequate quantity for all. Pleasant atmosphere, impeccable professional service. Leaving the premises for another restaurant is not the best idea because the menu which includes the soup of the day as well, changes daily and is based on a 2 week rotation. You will be impressed as to how extremely friendly, attentive, hardworking and passionate the restaurant staff is.

GARDENS/BEACH: Beautiful terraced lawns well looked after, totally free sun-loungers for all guests are so beautifully looked after that many 4* & 5* hotels would envy. The handy umbrellas/wooden shades need only to be turned around to get shade or sun. No need to move the bed, and at the base you can find a trash bin and several inches above, a small stand with a built-in ashtray and holders to place a drink, your book or anything.

The blue umbrellas below right on the sandy beach are under a fee which is collected from all the round beaches of Protaras and Ayia Napa. This money goes to the Municipality for the services they provide for clean coasts. Unfortunately several guests cannot afford this extra expense, carry their own towels from home and prefer to spend the day long out here right on the sand with no seat or shade instead of using the hotel’s loungers which are free. They seem comfortable though and this shows how eager they are for real beach holidays.

There is an option to hire towels to use around the beautiful pool and premises for only 1 Euro a week each piece. Many cannot comprehend this and they keep complaining because they never show the patience to listen and understand how this “clever system” functions. You can get as many towels as you wish and pay the deposit to the reception. You can keep the towels throughout the week with no extra payment and when you return them you get back your deposit in full. If you wish to get a clean one during the day, you take it to the pool attendant, pay 1 Euro and get a clean fresh one. (Laundry expenses) This simple thing many refuse to understand because they are negative from the beginning. These measures are taken so that guests won’t take towels home as well. They simply present the card, get their money back and that’s so simple.

BUDGET ROOMS: I find the idea of “Budget inland rooms” clever and I have heard that they are going to be introduced as from this coming year. Guests who book these rooms should know that the size/ facilities are exactly the same but the rooms face the entrance and the parking lot of the hotel, they are noisy because of the busy road or suppliers. These will be offered at lower cost and are ideal for those who intend to stay mostly outdoors and don’t mind noise.

ENTERTAINMENT: Varied and plenty of entertainment both for adults and young children. (Water polo and aerobics, tennis, darts and more). If you have kids this is the place to be. Magicians, fire dancers, karaoke, bingo, even belly dancers and of course one Cypriot Traditional Night every week. An interesting and very popular programe out here. Children can also keep busy at the Children’s game room and there is also a table tennis by the terrace and a children pool next to the adults’ pool by the Pool bar.

WI FI: Free on all public areas on the ground floor. However if you need a really fast, like home service, you have to consider a fee of €40.00 for a whole week which is not bad at all. You can then work from your room …not a bad idea at all if you consider that it costs you less than €6.00 daily.

In all, I didn’t find the slightest flaw and once again I was sad to leave.
If you really seek to find a stunning location and if all the above cover your demands, if you want to join the (family)….well, this is the right place to be.

A HANDY TIP: Avoid taxis in general throughout your stay on the island. They are way too expensive and you cannot imagine what you can save if you use the public means of transport. All hotels usually recommend taxis which is convenient for them –just a phone call and the taxi is outside. Do it only if you are in a hurry and have no alternative. I always move around the island by public transport and find them reliable and very cheap. The “Osea” buses and the ‘Inter City’ are highly recommended especially to this destination. (Check the net links).

greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Professional, Amazing….I can’t wait to return!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 16, 2011

I cannot find words to describe how much I loved every minute spent here. I was made welcomed with a smile. As a Guide Writer I had to write about Protaras, and I had to see different hotels checking on great spots to write about.
The fact that it is a family run hotel makes a difference. I had a feeling of entering like a guest but left behind friends whom I want to see again soon. Obviously a good value for money.

The reception staff (Margita and George and not only) were always busy as the hotel was fully booked even in October and I consider the two I mention professionals and hard working.

Out of curiosity I read some comments and I cannot understand the demands of some people. It is so unfair for the hotel. I found the location great while I read that it is at a remote spot much outside Protaras. It is just 13 minute walk to the square of the Fig Tree Bay. The bus stop is just opposite the premises. Every 20 minutes the bus passes by and you just have to wave for the bus to stop. The fare is only a euro. It does not stop if the driver does not see you signalling. Probably many don’t know this.
The beach here with the clear crystal turquoise waters was more than I expected. There might be a few rocks in some parts but in all it is magic. I was swimming for hours while there! I prefer this beach more than the Fig Tree Bay honestly, as here it is like a small bay and not an open sea. I smiled when I read a comment about the cold pool water. Unbelievable! I just wonder though, how can one ignore the crystal turquoise waters of Protaras and prefer a pool! I believe pools in so beautiful areas such as Protaras are just decorative to beautify the premises. How little people know!!

I was given the last room of the corridor on the first floor, facing the swimming pool and the Sirena Pool Bar. The balcony had the same level with the palm trees in the garden so there was much greenery besides the beautiful view of the swimming pool area. I enjoyed the morning sunrise at 6:30 am on both days. I did not want to miss the beautiful colours of the sun rising from the sea each morning.
My room was really comfortable and extremely clean. The bathroom towels were changed daily and they were bright white. I asked the Cypriot lady to leave me one extra shower bath gel and she left me several. I think it was Efthimia. The fact that many Cypriots work for years at this family hotel is an asset. The opposite of what is happening to other hotels where you seldom find a local.

During my stay I had the chance to talk with at least 10 people and a group of friends, something that I always do. They all had something positive to tell. I found people coming for more than 20 years to this same hotel and they now come along with friends and family. These people are obviously not fools!

Breakfast was more than adequate similar to American Breakfast with all sorts of things with more than I expected to find, very scarce for a 3* hotel to offer so much. In all I rate this hotel as a 4* hotel after what I have experience here.
Dinner was again amazing. I never expected so much people in October. The hotel was fully booked, and one thing that impressed me was the fact that there was much food for everyone. The quality was excellent and the taste fine.
Now why the bad comments I have no idea. I believe they are people who don’t know what they actually want. They pay so little and they expect miracles. They become demanding as if they are in a 5* hotel.

I found the evening programme fabulous. There was not a single guest missing and everyone seemed to be enjoying the performance. The second night there was programme with a Cypriot group dancing, children’s dancing, and later on some singing.

The management keeps a record of its guests and there is always a treat for the people who return. I find this positive not only for the owners but for the people who return as well. One of the two nights of my stay there was a special welcoming dinner party with all these people in a separate dining room. There was much going on out there and I felt a bit jealous that I could not attend.

I have only found two negatives here. Internet is not free, but this happens to all hotels in the area after I visited one or two others. (40 euros weekly) The second negative is that you have to pay for the small fridge in the room but still what they ask is not much.

Beach towels cost 1 euro per week. The 5 euro deposit asked is just to secure that towels won’t be stolen and afterwards you get your money back. So what is the big fuss about!! I always carry a small kettle along on my trips, and I usually find kettles in 5* hotels not in 3* hotels. About the safe, well is it so important to use a safe? I just wonder. I am out travelling almost every week and I never use it. Why not lock everything in the suitcase instead? Sun beds are free on the premises and there are beds for everyone. The ones that are next to the coast, cost 2.50 x 2 for a bed and an umbrella but this happens all over because the community is responsible for them and not the hotel.

I highly recommend it, find it truly friendly and much professional. Honestly I cannot wait to return.

Nearby Cavo Maris Beach Hotel

• Business Services
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Protaras Travel Forum

Need advice about Protaras, Cyprus? Visit the Travel Forum for Protaras and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Protaras hotel reviews